Modifying a stand

galantra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking for some help in regards to my stand for my 150 tank (6x2x2)
So it’s a custom built stand and my issue is I wanted to place a 40 gal custom sump within. Since they over built the inside of the stand to be able to to place this sump underneath I would have to cut the back center brace to do so. ( pics are bellow)
1. Would I have issues with removing that brace?
2. Can I move the brace no longer center so I can place sump within?
3. Any other way of adding additional support?
4. Am I just going over board on my thinking and simply removing it?

EE8407ED-F250-4189-871A-B5425ADD61F4.jpeg 45E74740-F30F-4BD7-BA2B-D06CB4EA714C.jpeg

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stuff like this always sparks a debate. But here are my thoughts — and I’m assuming you can’t just drop the sump in from the top.

It looks like the center support was screwed in (perhaps with kreg screws) so I would definitely remove the screws and see If you can tap the piece out (guessing it was glued as well). Hopefully you can remove it with minimal damage.

As far as whether or not you need to have that brace invites debate around how long of a span that the boards can support and how much deflection will occur. I can’t tell you how to calculate load and deflection for the wood that was used, etc. But my reaction is if you can get the brace out easily that I would just screw it back in place — knowing that it can always be removed in an “emergency”.

Good luck and beautiful stand!

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take out the brace - it's held in place using pocket hole screws - usually #2 square head. Put the sump in, put the brace back.

If the top frame is 2x6''s you'll be good without the brace but I'd be tempted to have a second one cut and then place them to either side allowing enough room for the sump to slide in between. But then I tend to overbuild too!

OP
OP
galantra

galantra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys

So, little more information the top extends further out under 2 inches around and also built to sit in place. The brace is screwed in and I actually was able to remove it easily. But placing the sump in I cannot place the brace back. I would have to let it sit on the lip of the back and build a stand underneath it ( hence why I say relocated it a bit further away the center)

73AB05B6-0AF6-4BBA-A6F3-FBD508DA0AAF.jpeg

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you shifted your sump as far to the left or right how far off center could the middle brace be replaced? Are we talking 8 inches or 16?

I guess what i am saying is you could also center the sump and then add 2 braces back as far in as possible. Does that get you a foot out?

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you replaced the center brace with a 1x4 instead of a 2x4 could the sump sit properly? Sorry. Not sure I understand the comment about letting something sit on the lip of the back.

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
btw.. what are the dimensions of this custom 40 gallon sump? It must be an odd size sump?

OP
OP
galantra

galantra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you shifted your sump as far to the left or right how far off center could the middle brace be replaced? Are we talking 8 inches or 16?

I guess what i am saying is you could also center the sump and then add 2 braces back as far in as possible. Does that get you a foot out?

If I placed it far either side I would say I would need the center brace to move 2-3 inches the other way from where it is.

OP
OP
galantra

galantra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump dimension is 27x22x16

In the pic the red is the lip I am saying so would sit on top of that second frame. Yellow would be the distance it come out of. If it didn’t have this center pieces of 2x4 the sump would have fit flawlessly

Or I could just sell and buy another sump which I am avoiding to do

561074CC-FC8C-4426-A3DE-A2081060D983.jpeg 5343EB37-8F8A-4539-A21A-0A60D625FF1F.png

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I placed it far either side I would say I would need the center brace to move 2-3 inches the other way from where it is.
If you’re only thinking of moving it a few inches (or call it 6” to give you some room) I can’t imagine that would make a huge difference in the structural integrity. It looks like a really strong frame.

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not remove the brace completely, that is a very long span without support and the tank and water are 2000+ lbs.

Last edited:
OP
OP
galantra

galantra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So thinking another sump? Or Move it off a bit and add more support?

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thoughts are moving it a few inches would be sufficient. For my 125 I added more support to a purchased stand before filling since it really did not take that much time to do and it was more a piece of mind but probably overkill. It is much easier before filling for sure.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Move the support over a bit and done with it. I don't think you need to add additional support if you're only moving a few inches.

OP
OP
galantra

galantra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys I appreciate the information. I will do just that relocated a couple inches and be done with it

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.4%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 61 29.0%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 45 21.4%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 24 11.4%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 73 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back