Mojo Reviews the new CS 200 cone skimmer.

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its actually just a little larger that the atb 840. by like a half inch, and just a little smaller than the K2. THe neck is 4 inches as well. So its actually pretty well balanced. I cant say about the new pump as I havent gotten it yet. But its running a sicce right now. For its price I think it will be a hard skimmer to beat. I ll have to talk to the builder as I am running mine at 7 inches of water. I am not sure what he designed it to run it at for sure. I ll play around withe new pump when it comes in. I can say I have been running it now for a couple weeks.

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow... thanks for the reviews and the update... I'm considering getting one.. looking forward to seeing more of the review... :)

Hahnmeister

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its actually just a little larger that the atb 840. by like a half inch, and just a little smaller than the K2. THe neck is 4 inches as well. So its actually pretty well balanced. I cant say about the new pump as I havent gotten it yet. But its running a sicce right now. For its price I think it will be a hard skimmer to beat. I ll have to talk to the builder as I am running mine at 7 inches of water. I am not sure what he designed it to run it at for sure. I ll play around withe new pump when it comes in. I can say I have been running it now for a couple weeks.

Well, from what I have seen, the Sicce you mention might be the 700-800lph Quiet One, or a regular PSK (if not, nevermind), that dont get quite the output listed... and a body that size can stand for some more air (or a smaller body on that pump to push the waterline down). Two of those pumps might work nice, or a volute mod.

BLK94RS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mojo, any new info or pics on this skimmer?

Have you got the new pump yet?

How is it doing on your tank? What is your total water volume?

Do you have a Hi pr Lo bio load?

Do you think this skimmer is as good as the ATB 840 or WM K2, only half the price?

What would you compare the build quality to?

DML08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mojo, clean build brotha.. keep up the awesome work.. I'm considering building my skimmer also, I have already built my CA reactor and Kalk reactor... looking forward for some update with pics...

Elan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RoyalReef was at the frag swap yesterday showing off the skimmer i can say i was very impressed. I wish i had more room in my sump!

eggie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

BLK94RS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well...I just bit the bullet and ordered the RoyalReef CS200 for my new tank! Cant beat $299 for a decent cone. I was planning on the ATB 840, but decided to give the RoyalReef a try...

Im hopping the QuietOne pump works out well...if I don't like it, I'll trade it out for a Sicce with the ATB needle wheel.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my Q1 pump will be here tomorrow. I am so sorry everyone that I have been slacking. but last week I put in almost 65 hours at work and am taking two classes at the local college. Their will be more i ll take soem pics of it running with the sicce before I pull it out for cleaning and then again with the Q1. I cant wait to get the other pump.

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my Q1 pump will be here tomorrow. I am so sorry everyone that I have been slacking. but last week I put in almost 65 hours at work and am taking two classes at the local college. Their will be more i ll take soem pics of it running with the sicce before I pull it out for cleaning and then again with the Q1. I cant wait to get the other pump.
how's it performing as of now though mojo?

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
should get the pump in today from what I was told. I did take some nog shot as I cleaned out the cup last night. Did a little water change today and am hoping the new pump is at home when i get there. If it is i will be sure to post pics tonight !

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok the pump is in. Just hooked it up and we will see what it does.

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh you all want pics?
P1010270.gif

P1010273.jpg

P1010276.jpg

P1010277.jpg

P1010278.jpg

P1010279.jpg

BLK94RS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was your initial impression of the pump when you first started it up? Does it look to be as turbulent as it was with the Sicce? How is the noise level compared to the Sicce? Did you test the air draw on the Sicce while it was still running on the skimmer? What is your overall impression of the skimmer up to this point?

Here is what Royal Reef said when I asked If I could "upgrade" to the Sicce:

The sicce pump would not be an upgrade. lol. The quietone lives up to its name. It has 1/2 the noise of the sicce, with no air silencer! It really has been a great pump. It didn't start out that way though, a lot of thought went into the modifications and thats what makes the pump good. I notice 20-30% more skimmate with the QO.

The suspense is killing me! My CS200 will be here in 5 days, I cant wait!!! I bought it for my 90g Envision tank, but its not done yet. I don't think I'll be able to resist not running on my 40g in the mean time!

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The skimmer is very turbulent really no more than most others. The quiet one pump made aslight rattle for about one second and fired up. It is more quiet. no air silencer hooked up on it and is still pretty quiet. The sicce was pulling 28 scfh. I have not yet tested the q1 pump. But I will. Time will tell. The foot print is slightly smaller with the new pump.

BLK94RS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The skimmer is very turbulent really no more than most others.

Do you think a different bubble plate would improve the turbulence? Similar to the one you put on your last DIY skimmer?

What is your overall impression of the skimmer?

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The skimmer is pretty nice. Kinda unsure how I like the dish on top yet. ITs seems to work but havent been able to say its better or not than the ring most have. As far as my bubble plate I dont know anyone that uses it. lol.

Back