Mojo Reviews the new CS 200 cone skimmer.

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea been on here. Working a lot too

RaysReef

Shazaam Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you recommend taking the bubble plate off? Someone from my local club bought 2 of them for this 450G system and a member also mentioned that the bubble plate seems to be very small (holes). I'm thinking it may cause too much pressure around that ring between the bubble plate and skimmer is attached. your thoughts?

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Volume is important. THe holes might be smaller but their are many. Their are many things that go into a bubble plate design. I cannot speak for the builder but if the pump performs and gets the numbers the builder wants then I would say its all good right?

Mojo~

Usefulidiot213

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey Mojo,
Would you recomend this Skimmer for my 100 Gal Reef? Or think I should go with somthing else? I am adding a sump soon and need to dump my HOB Remoras.

trancestate2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the total area of the bubble plate's 512 holes gives it a passage area of 5.2 square inches. which comes to about 7 times the area of the inlet pipe. given that amount area and so many breaking points the turbulence inside the body was reduced.

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
received my CS200 last Tuesday... will post some pics and an update within the next few days.... I'll take some vids also... for the price its going, this will be a pretty hard to beat skimmer... we'll see how the performance is the next few weeks... :)

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pump is working way better than I expected. I am running the skimmer at 7 inches and it is pulling 36 scfh/ 1050 lph . Thats really impressive for the pump in my opinion. 22 watts.

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pump is working way better than I expected. I am running the skimmer at 7 inches and it is pulling 36 scfh/ 1050 lph . Thats really impressive for the pump in my opinion. 22 watts.
are you having issues with micro bubbles coming from the return? I tried running mine just under 6"...

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool to see them use the QO2200 as I could never get the QO3000's to work that well. You can actually use sicce pw's on the qo's. The msx/swc is to tall but i bet the ppw from atb may work on it as it has the clearance. I always ended up having startup issues with the qo's though just like the sicce's when mesh is applied. I've always thought if they used a stronger magnet in either or the pump's would work much better and could get the 50scfh with zero startup probs. No one has looked into doing that yet. The QO would always pull around 24-26scfh with a pw fwiw but had to run in 4-6" water. The sicce's and qo's are so close in make, only difference is the magnet is just a bit shorter and the volute is a bit less in height. But the price on them is so much cheaper. This was a huge discussion a few yrs back.

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
microbubbles for the first day or 2 and they are almost gone. That is normal though. the pump has to slime up and break in. the ATB purple pinwheel it just a hair too tall. I have one I shaved down and it works too pulled about 34 with the shaved atb large wheel with a little rattle on startup.

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

read above, ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

22 watts :)

kensilvey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, new to R2R. I am the guy SoGoneRG speaks of, hi Ray. Mojo, thank you for the reply on RC.I received my two skimmers today and have them installed. My first thoughts are that this is a very well made skimmer. Packaging was great, oversized boxes with lots of bubble wrap. I had no rotational or pump chatter problems at all. These are very quiet also. Overall height of skimmer is about 19-3/4'' tall.

Last edited:

JPA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple common q's and answers:

what is ideal internal water level... Anywhere from 1-3 inches from where the o ring is. A higher water level in the sump will sometimes have an affect this.

How long of a break-in period....for the pump it's around 3 days....for the skimmer itself anywhere from 2-6 days depending on if you clean it or not before running it in the tank.

Any other questions please ask

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 46 21.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 160 73.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.6%
Back