Mollies in a saltwater tank

Esquire805

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today I went to petsmart and got some mollies I hear they can live in the tank I just threw em in there and most articles had most success this way. Anyone every try this

nhat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you have to slowly accli. the molly for few hours. Throw them from fresh to salt is npt a good idea.

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let us know how they do without drip acclimating them. I've thought of doing the same in a smaller tank

OP
OP
Esquire805

Esquire805

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let us know how they do without drip acclimating them. I've thought of doing the same in a smaller tank
I read that ppl tried drip and they always died when just thrown in they lived I will see if they last 2 days

TherealplexiG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read that ppl tried drip and they always died when just thrown in they lived I will see if they last 2 days

Have to drip them at very slow rate, probably 14 to 16 hours or pluses...
I only use black mollies, i drip them over night for approx 16 hour mark..

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mollies are brackish water fish and when acclimating any fish you should take a little time. As you found out you can usually take a mollie and throw it from across the room into a tank full of salt water and it will probably live for five years. Now, stop cringing, I didn't say to do that, but a mollie is a very sturdy fish and easy to keep in almost any water. I would take at least two hours to acclimate it as I have done it dozens of times with brackish fish like mollies and bumble bee gobies which are better looking and will live a couple of years in full salt water. The fishes kidney is responsible for stabilizing the salinity inside the fish and some fish can do that relatively fast but slower would be better for the fish. Braskish fish normally swim from full salt to fresh water such as when they go from the ocean up into a river. Those fish were "designed" to be able to do that. The tide pool where I collect is full salt at high tide but at low tide it is almost full fresh because it is from from a lake. Bluefish, which are not even brackish fish swim back and forth with no obvious problems.

OP
OP
Esquire805

Esquire805

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mollies are brackish water fish and when acclimating any fish you should take a little time. As you found out you can usually take a mollie and throw it from across the room into a tank full of salt water and it will probably live for five years. Now, stop cringing, I didn't say to do that, but a mollie is a very sturdy fish and easy to keep in almost any water. I would take at least two hours to acclimate it as I have done it dozens of times with brackish fish like mollies and bumble bee gobies which are better looking and will live a couple of years in full salt water. The fishes kidney is responsible for stabilizing the salinity inside the fish and some fish can do that relatively fast but slower would be better for the fish. Braskish fish normally swim from full salt to fresh water such as when they go from the ocean up into a river. Those fish were "designed" to be able to do that. The tide pool where I collect is full salt at high tide but at low tide it is almost full fresh because it is from from a lake. Bluefish, which are not even brackish fish swim back and forth with no obvious problems.
Bumble bee you say

helen ann

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't have much to add to what you have already been provided on the subject.
Yep, Ms Molly had babies back in early summer, I was able to save about 17 of them raising in my QT.
They have all been given away except 4, which I plan on keeping.

OP
OP
Esquire805

Esquire805

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20160925_173505.jpg

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 31.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back