More Information on Coral Croucher Goby

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking at buying a coral croucher goby but cant find a ton of info on them, are they are cryptic as everyone says they are?

From what I've read some of those species are cryptic, but they come out more often over time.

They pop up on Divers Den WYSIWG all the time, there is one, and another bonded pair on there today.

Last edited:

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I've read some of those species are cryptic, but they come out more often over time.
+1 to this. I am also looking into the red spotted one. They look so fun.

OP
OP
Chris_Noles

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They pop up on Divers Den WYSIWG all the time, there is one, and another bonded pair on there today.
I’ve seen a ton of bonded pairs but the only problem is that they require target feeding which is big turn off

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen a ton of bonded pairs but the only problem is that they require target feeding which is big turn off
Same here, which is why I've never pulled the trigger on one.

runcis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
already have a gramma and clown in a 25 any other suggestions for fish that most people dont have in a tank?
paragobiodon xanthosoma, emerald coral goby, I'm going to buy one for myself:)

rhines

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have been researching coral croucher a lot with a friend. i advise you to keep one or two colonies of branching sps corals so they aren’t petrified. they live in stony reefs constantly perching on them similar to a clown goby

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
already have a gramma and clown in a 25 any other suggestions for fish that most people dont have in a tank?
Rainford’s goby. Golden angel though they are expensive as ****. Bella goby

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m also looking at the spotted one, hopefully you dont have to target feed them forever

Unless they are kept in a heavily fed tank where they can scavenge, they will need to be target fed forever. They don't swim, they just launch themselves so they will never get enough food from the water column. Most don't keep them long because of feeding challenges, all will not scavenge enough to survive long term and will slowly waste away. Initially they will likely need live foods to settle in, a good pod population is a good starter, live brine shrimp and live black worms. Some, if larger, may even need live ghost shrimp or guppies initially.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Something I haven't seen anyone say yet: those aren't gobies. They're scorpionfish, and I believe venomous. Not worryingly so, though.

Target feeding really isn't that bad. Just put some food near them. I target feed half a dozen inverts in my tank, to avoid wasting food, and these are animals I have to directly hand the food to with tweezers! Coral crouchers would just need you to squirt some food near them with a turkey baster.

Alaeriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do the penny crouchers often display this pink color? I've only ever seen them, well, copper colored. Such a cool looking fish!
20201229_210305.jpg

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something I haven't seen anyone say yet: those aren't gobies. They're scorpionfish, and I believe venomous. Not worryingly so, though.

Target feeding really isn't that bad. Just put some food near them. I target feed half a dozen inverts in my tank, to avoid wasting food, and these are animals I have to directly hand the food to with tweezers! Coral crouchers would just need you to squirt some food near them with a turkey baster.
Agreed, I’m looking at one or a pair. I have several SPS colonies and it’s a small tank so I’m thinking they should be fine. I’m just like you, target feeding all my inverts every day, so I don’t have an issue with doing the same for a couple coral crouchers.

The only thing I worry about is them knocking over my frags or they decide to make their home somewhere difficult to feed or where I can’t see them. Otherwise, I’m very excited!

Sigmund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought a mated pair of the fancy Madagascar coral crouch gobies a few weeks ago from live aquaria divers den. Have them in my Innovative Marine 20 drop off tank. I see them every day. You need to basically feed them with a dropper right at their mouth. They will not swim 2 inches to get to the food. Good news is the ate from the dropper day 1. Would not put them in a large tank immediately. Need to find them to feed them.

OP
OP
Chris_Noles

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought a mated pair of the fancy Madagascar coral crouch gobies a few weeks ago from live aquaria divers den. Have them in my Innovative Marine 20 drop off tank. I see them every day. You need to basically feed them with a dropper right at their mouth. They will not swim 2 inches to get to the food. Good news is the ate from the dropper day 1. Would not put them in a large tank immediately. Need to find them to feed them.
Good to know, have you gotten stung by one yet? I heard its just like a bee sting

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would aim to never be stung by them. Even if it's not normally dangerous, there's always that tiny chance of your immune system flipping out and you having a bad reaction. Plus, getting stung would involve putting your fingers directly on the little guys, which I'd imagine would scare them pretty badly.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back