Moving your reef tank? Advice, successes and failures?

Ignitros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!

I recently moved into a new house and had the experience of moving my reef tank. Mine was of success and hardship. The move went okay but ran into some unforeseen issues.

I didn't have enough heaters to go around to all the rubbermaid trashcans I needed to move corals, livestock, live rock, sand and marine pure blocks. I had to choose which to let go unheated. I chose the marine pure blocks as they were only backup filtration and used to seed other tanks and such. I also chose the sand which I'm starting to second guess that choice.

The second issue was while cleaning the tank before setting it back up I accidentally tore out a huge chunk of sealant. I then had to reseal the tank for safety concerns so that added a full extra day to the move before setup. Basically everything was in Rubbermaid trashcans for 3 days and for the sand and marine pure blocks unheated in a fairly cold basement somewhere around 55 degrees.

When I was ready to setup again I thoroughly rinsed the sand in fresh saltwater before putting it back into the tank. Then proceeded with everything else back as it was before.

It looks like everything is doing okay 4 days after putting it all back together. I still haven't seen my 6 line wrasse but that looks to be the only casualty so far unless he's hiding really well. Water parameters are fine... I had a small spike in nitrates and ammonia but all in all I'm thankful it looks like the move was successful.

Tell me about your experiences and what you would do differently given what you know now?

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like overall things went okay if everything is doing okay. My guess is if you know you put the Wrasse back in, it's probably just freaked out and hiding. Give it a few days and my guess/hope is he'll resurface.

Efranco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently moved also, and lost 5 fish, which was hard especially since one was my Marine Betta that I had for 3 yrs, and a couple of small SPS that were actually growing ...Everything was basically in Rubbermaids too and I also did not have enough heaters. It seems like my tank went through a cycle and now i'm kinda back in the ugly stage with some algae and cyano, which seems like Im getting under control, but all remaining corals and live stock, along with new live stock seem to be doing well. Hopefully this will be my last tank move...unless I upgrade lol

RFL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My condolences on fish losses guys. Losing livestock is always hard, especially when you've had them for a while.

My moderately stocked 25 gallon mixed reef nano migrates, via Ford Expedition, 1450 miles every 6 months or so. I'm a snowbird splitting my time between WI and FL... and so my reef critters do too. Each road trip is 3 days duration with rock, critters, heaters, digital thermometers and aerators in 5 gallon buckets with lids. Maybe I've just been lucky but I've been doing this for 3 1/2 years now without losing fish or corals. A few sps have been 'unintentionally fragged' due to turbulence but that's not all bad... I wind up with more corals that way. Planning and having enough essential gear like heaters, thermometers, air pumps, etc. (including backups) are key. Selecting robust fish species and relatively easy corals and inverts is another key factor. In the old days when I had a 180 gal. this would have been a much more daunting task. I'd have needed an 18 wheeler and 'roadie' crew to pull that off! But now you've got me thinking... hmmm. LOL.

themcfreak

A Surfing Starfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The big thing I messed up was that I had extra jugs of water to top off the tank when it was in its new home (did a mini water change when moving). Accidentally dumped 5 gallons of fresh water in the freshly set back up system, and had to correct over a week to raise it back up.

OP
OP
Ignitros

Ignitros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly thought that there would be more people to chime in and give their experiences, tips and tricks to use. I was mostly wanting to help others that may be planning a move. I've seen so many people sell everything and start over rather than undertake a move. Maybe if we can get one good consolidated move thread it would help so many others.

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly thought that there would be more people to chime in and give their experiences, tips and tricks to use. I was mostly wanting to help others that may be planning a move. I've seen so many people sell everything and start over rather than undertake a move. Maybe if we can get one good consolidated move thread it would help so many others.

I may have missed it, but did the wrasse ever come out of hiding?

Aquavaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost 2 fish when I bought a complete running system from CL. I had them all split into 3 5g buckets with battery powered airstones. Next morning when I went to check on them one air pump was off and my heart sank. Opened it and sure enough the prize 4" yellow belly BT and the hawkfish were dead. The clown however was fine. I suspect when I checked on them the night before, the switch on the air pump was accidentally switched off when I opened the bucket lid to check. The air pump was hung to the side of the bucket where the switch could easily have been bumped. With 2 of them going I couldn't tell that one stopped cause they were so loud.

OP
OP
Ignitros

Ignitros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have missed it, but did the wrasse ever come out of hiding?
No... Unfortunately I think he turner into food for the large brittle star in the tank. I'm still battling high nitrates and phosphates so I'm guessing I'm going through a mini cycle. The skimmer cup fills up completely over a day now. I'm keeping everything in check and no casualties other than the suspected 6 line wrasse. I figure it'll take a few weeks to stabilize

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No... Unfortunately I think he turner into food for the large brittle star in the tank. I'm still battling high nitrates and phosphates so I'm guessing I'm going through a mini cycle. The skimmer cup fills up completely over a day now. I'm keeping everything in check and no casualties other than the suspected 6 line wrasse. I figure it'll take a few weeks to stabilize

Sorry to hear that.

Todd31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have LOTS of extra water made up. Something unforeseen always happens... like me using some bins that shouldn't have carried that big of a load ending up in disaster...

Crimsonvice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved my 120 back in January, and it was a pain! I did not loose any fish or coral in the move, but tear down and setup all happened the same day. One thing that I would recommend to anyone that is moving a tank, would be to ALWAYS use new sand. Yeah its a pain to go and buy new sand, but there is so much junk in your sand you are sure to cycle your tank. Rinsing can help, but that can be a pain in itself.

Here are a few tips that I could think of:
  • Have a plan
  • Have plenty of help. Local reefers are good to call on.
  • Set aside a full day for tank move. You don't want to rush and screw it up!
  • Have back up water (Fresh/Salt) and plenty of it. Not just 5 gallons if you are moving a big tank.
  • Try not to use all fresh water. Save as much of your tank water as you can (Don't save the last few inches of water, usually full of detritus anyway).
  • Have plenty of heaters and air pumps on hand. Backups for your backups.
  • Towels
  • Lots of beer to celebrate after a successful move!

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved my 100 gallon tank 4 months ago about 60 miles. No losses and no issues. So far everything is good.
Tank before the move.

And 4 months in new location.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back