Mp40 or Neptune WAV

jojoe925

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im a brand new reefer hoping to get and learn some knowledge with you guys/girls. I did a lot of research over the last year and my biggest confusion is if i should go with the MP40's or the Neptune WAV. I always read how silent and powerful the MP40's are but I do love how the neptune WAV you can put on the side-back wall so theres no obstructions on the side of tank. will you guys help me and give me the pros -cons to each if any? thank you

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume you have an Apex if you are considering the WAVs? I have owned both and here is my opinion... take it for what it's worth:)

• Each WAV kit has the same flow as an MP40WQD... maybe slightly more.
  • The WAV pump is just as quiet, and some tests show that they are actually quieter than an MP40WQD.
  • The WAV pumps are far cheaper than an MP40WQD... especially if you own the "new" Apex. You would also need to purchase the WXM to get the Vortech to work with the Apex.
  • The WAV pumps have the same modes as the Vortechs.
  • The WAV pumps can be angled.
  • The WAV pumps shut off instantly when taken out of the water.
  • The WAV pumps shut off instantly if something clogs it... snails etc.
  • The WAV pump cage doesn't fall off, ever. The Vortechs do once the o-rings get slightly old, or at least mine did.
  • The WAV pump magnet is insanely strong.

• MP40WQD has a smaller footprint inside of the tank... nice and clean. The round shape and low profile is VERY welcoming.
  • You do not need an Apex, or anything else for that matter, to use them.
  • MP40WQD does not have any wires that go inside of the tank. Now this is something that is bragged about by some, but I don't think it's that important of a feature for the common reefer. The only way that this is even a valid point is if you are doing them on a peninsula tank and doing them at the end where the overflow is. Or doing them on the ends of a tank, where the tank is in a wall, and the ends of the tank are not viewable. Or possibly if you are doing them on the back wall of a tank that is really wide and has a solid colored background on the glass. Because Vortechs do not work very well, or at least not near as well as the WAVs, on the back wall when it's not a wide tank... which is the case for the common reefer. Most of us do not have 30"+ wide tanks. And if the tank does not have a solid colored background, then you are going to see the cables regardless.
  • The MP40WQD has large motors that mount on the outside of the tank. Most reefers have the ends of the tank viewable and have their Vortechs mounted at the ends of the tank. Because well, they work really well there! But I personally hate seeing the huge motor assembly of a Vortech hanging on the outside of my tank.

Last edited:

nitro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a great review from Broadfield for sure. I have only tried the WAV pumps and they are very strong but also quiet, I don't think you will be disappointed.
Nitro

OP
OP
jojoe925

jojoe925

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brookfield thank you for that amazing review! i really appreciate it! yes i will be getting the APEX
I assume you have an Apex if you are considering the WAVs? I have owned both and here is my opinion... take it for what it's worth:)

• Each WAV kit has the same flow as an MP40WQD... maybe slightly more.
  • The WAV pump is just as quiet, and some tests show that they are actually quieter than an MP40WQD.
  • The WAV pumps are far cheaper than an MP40WQD... especially if you own the "new" Apex. You would also need to purchase the WXM to get the Vortech to work with the Apex.
  • The WAV pumps have the same modes as the Vortechs.
  • The WAV pumps can be angled.
  • The WAV pumps shut off instantly when taken out of the water.
  • The WAV pumps shut off instantly if something clogs it... snails etc.
  • The WAV pump cage doesn't fall off, ever. The Vortechs do once the o-rings get slightly old, or at least mine did.
  • The WAV pump magnet is insanely strong.

• MP40WQD has a smaller footprint inside of the tank... nice and clean. The round shape and low profile is VERY welcoming.
  • You do not need an Apex, or anything else for that matter, to use them.
  • MP40WQD does not have any wires that go inside of the tank. Now this is something that is bragged about by some, but I don't think it's that important of a feature for the common reefer. The only way that this is even a valid point is if you are doing them on a peninsula tank and doing them at the end where the overflow is. Or doing them on the ends of a tank, where the tank is in a wall, and the ends of the tank are not viewable. Or possibly if you are doing them on the back wall of a tank that is really wide and has a solid colored background on the glass. Because Vortechs do not work very well, or at least not near as well as the WAVs, on the back wall when it's not a wide tank... which is the case for the common reefer. Most of us do not have 30"+ wide tanks. And if the tank does not have a solid colored background, then you are going to see the cables regardless.
  • The MP40WQD has large motors that mount on the outside of the tank. Most reefers have the ends of the tank viewable and have their Vortechs mounted at the ends of the tank. Because well, they work really well there! But I personally hate seeing the huge motor assembly of a Vortech hanging on the outside of my tank.
Thankyou for the great review, thats exactly what i needed to read! Yes i will be controlling it via APEX!

OP
OP
jojoe925

jojoe925

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a great review from Broadfield for sure. I have only tried the WAV pumps and they are very strong but also quiet, I don't think you will be disappointed.
Nitro
Thankyou! i was originally going with MP40 but started searching more and reviewing the WAV. esp when I'm gonna run the APEX

thewbell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank are you using? The Wav pumps are great on my 5' tank but I have heard that they can easily be too powerful for smaller tanks.

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

thewbell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That should work great with the WAV if you decide to go that route. I have mine in a 60x18 120 gallon and run them up to 60% mounted high in the back corners.

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't comment on the WAV, but It's been years since I've owned a Vortech pump since switching to Tunze. But I used to have a beer fridge in my garage that had a collection of an MP20, and two MP40's, that failed shortly after the warranty expired. I used them as fridge magnets. Perhaps they offer a longer lasting product these days.

OP
OP
jojoe925

jojoe925

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't comment on the WAV, but It's been years since I've owned a Vortech pump since switching to Tunze. But I used to have a beer fridge in my garage that had a collection of an MP20, and two MP40's, that failed shortly after the warranty expired. I used them as fridge magnets. Perhaps they offer a longer lasting product these days.
lol thankyou

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had both the MP40 (non QD) and wav's...you can't go wrong either way. The apex / wav combo also makes for easier programming plus all the pluses broadfield mentioned.

Marc.The.Shark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh, yep, now I see. They do look like an awesome light! Haven't seen one in person, but from tank pics, the color rendering looks awesome!

Last edited by a moderator:

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just switched from the MP40 WQD to the WAV'S and I'm glad I did. Flow is crazy and dead quiet.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 52.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.9%
Back