OP
OP
Acro maniac

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for fallowing nervousmonkey, its been slow going. I plan on building the doors this weekend and working on the return plumbing from sump to dt.

OP
OP
Acro maniac

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.... ill go by there today i want to put my hands on it. To see if it is something i would be intrested in. I have researched it but touching is the final deciding factor.

OP
OP
Acro maniac

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this weekend wasnt as productive tankwise as expected. I spent the weekend prepping my fatherinlaws rental for a new tenant. He is getting older and not as capable as years past.
I did get a chance to go past the depot to get some materials and quick walk down the building material isle turned up the pvc board and starboard both half in. I ended up just going with the starboard half in.
Now that i have it before i cut it to fit. I was wondering if anybody has ever left a gap between the front and side walls. The back would be tight. The reason i an asking this is because im thinking this would make for easy siphon location for detritus. If i leave a 1in gap on the 3 walls it could act as a detritus catch and i could just run a siphon hose around the edge during a routine w/c.
Inviting all opinions, what do you all think? Fwiw the edges will be siliconed to seal as best as can be. I do know that silicon doesnt adhere to starboard very well but i cant imagine there will be any stress to make it detach. Again what do you think?
20170722_171753.jpg

OP
OP
Acro maniac

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to intentionally schedule my weekend to work on the tank. So i will give it a soild hit in the morning.
I did pit in an order for 100lbs of dry pukini rock 12x12x12 or bigger. Placed order with BRS will see what i get. I have never ordered rock from them before. Plan is to acid bath, bleach and rinse. Another new one for me but we shall see how it goes, anyway look for a soild update this weekend.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Starboard huh? What made you want to go BB?

OP
OP
Acro maniac

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starboard huh? What made you want to go BB?
Im not a fan of the sand dunes/ bare spots that develope from powerheads.
I like the look of sand but it never stays put.
I almost crashed a tank a few years back that had sand. I neglected maintenance because everything always looked great. I also didnt like disturbing the sand and creating a snow storm.
To me bb works, blow the rocks let it settle and suck it out. Starboard i know it not necessary.
I have a 90g bb and dont like the sound of rocks on glass. Just personal preference i guess.
Thanks Rev for the intrest.

Reef dog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 180 is up and running, the build took me around 5 weeks. I went with starboard and I have it cut around an 1inch short on all sides. I also didnt silicone mine in, just in case I wanted to take it out. So far so good, I moved everthing over Tuesday evening. Good luck with the rest of your build!

OP
OP
Acro maniac

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 180 is up and running, the build took me around 5 weeks. I went with starboard and I have it cut around an 1inch short on all sides. I also didnt silicone mine in, just in case I wanted to take it out. So far so good, I moved everthing over Tuesday evening. Good luck with the rest of your build!
Thanks Reef Dog, im able to take my time on this build because it for a new house im having built. They are pouring concrete today. The house should be complete at the latest in november. With that said i did purchase my rock and plan on cycling the tank and rock in the garage at this house.
Thanks for the headsup on tje starboard i plan on siliconing just to keep everything from getting under it. Silicon will not adhere to starboard so if in the future i want to take it out i still can. Just have to scrape the silicon off the glass at that point.

OP
OP
Acro maniac

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This morning i went out to start working on the tank. Hooked up all the drain pipes. Brought the pump out and stared on the supply lines. I was able to complete all the plumbing. Im pipe tight!
Well hopefully i need to do a wet run to make sure.
20170728_142545.jpg
20170728_142658.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Acro maniac

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After i finished the plumbing, I disassembled all the plumbing and removed the sump to allow a the freedom to work on the stand.
I was building some doors for the cabinet when a storm came through and i had to scramble to get everything inside before the rain.
With everything inside i just hung two of the doors i had complete. No pics yet ill get some tomorrow. I will also be putting in some more work tomorrow

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tagging along. Meticulous. Clean. Very nice!

Last edited:

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 45 33.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 36 26.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 28 20.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 26 19.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back