My 240, My 240/Basement Fish Room, My 240/Basement Fish Room/built into a full wall bookcase and focal point of house addition.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few teasers..gotta organize my photos. Will be slow going but will pickup momentum. Going to document home addition, tank, fish room, tank built into full wall bookcase (with a hidden door) which was focal point for the addition and interesting story of my current tank.
Will also share some photos/stories of my old tank back in the 1990’s.
Will then cover current tank, filtration, inhabitants both corals and fish, lighting (which is automated, you’ll have to tune in to see what this actually means) and other interesting tidbits.

IMG_0574.jpeg

IMG_0571.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
JGT

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW!

This is one of the best mixed reefs I’ve ever seen!

The automated lighting is intriguing. What does that supposed to mean?

@Daniel@R2R check this out!!!
Bit of a misnomer. The lighting itself isn’t automated.

With our lighting typically 8-10” above the waterline, how do we get into our tank easily to do maintenance, place frags, etc? Especially with some of those longer tools. Having 7 Ecotech XR15’s on my tank, this was not going to be an easy task. But I wanted it to be something I could do without much effort.

And so with an 80/20 frame, bicycle derailleur cable and a tubular shade motor, I built something that allowed me to raise or lower the entire frame with all 7 lights at once from a keypad or my iPhone/iPad. Stay tuned for all the itty-bitty details. :)

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bit of a misnomer. The lighting itself isn’t automated.

With our lighting typically 8-10” above the waterline, how do we get into our tank easily to do maintenance, place frags, etc? Especially with some of those longer tools. Having 7 Ecotech XR15’s on my tank, this was not going to be an easy task. But I wanted it to be something I could do without much effort.

And so with an 80/20 frame, bicycle derailleur cable and a tubular shade motor, I built something that allowed me to raise or lower the entire frame with all 7 lights at once from a keypad or my iPhone/iPad. Stay tuned for all the itty-bitty details. :)
Brilliant! I know @Sisterlimonpot made something similar.

I’m definitely following along. Thanks for the response. :)

OP
OP
JGT

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing looking tank! What are the dimensions? Can't wait to see more pics/info and your old pics from the 90's!
Thanks a lot. Standard 240, 8x2x2 Acrylic. Got plenty of pics to share. It’s the writing that slows me down so bear with me. :)
Collating my 90’s photos , will share those along the way. Still have that tank sitting in my basement empty along with the Hamilton MH canopy that I used.

OP
OP
JGT

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW!

This is one of the best mixed reefs I’ve ever seen!

The automated lighting is intriguing. What does that supposed to mean?

@Daniel@R2R check this out!!!
Thanks Miami! @Daniel@R2R shamed me into starting this build thread. Hey, 2 years late but better than never. Now I can ride Daniel about his lack of wet photos of his new tank. :p

Last edited:
OP
OP
JGT

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is @Sisterlimonpot ’s

I’d love to eventually see a video of yours in action.

Very cool. Mine is similar, except it goes up and down. I have a video of it. Once I find it will post it. Don’t know how I’d get into the tank otherwise.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did you choose that side for the tank for aesthetics or natural sunlight? Just curious

OP
OP
JGT

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you choose that side for the tank for aesthetics or natural sunlight? Just curious
Honestly, because it was just about a perfect fit for the 8’ tank. Before the bookcase went in, the door to the office was a double door and the bookcase was just a wall so the side opposite the tank was too small for the tank. Then I got the brilliant idea :rolleyes:of making it a full wall built-in so I had to remove 1 door wall it up and build the bookcase. And that was after I decided to do the basement fish room. Me and my ideas.:disappointed-face:

OP
OP
JGT

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The benefit I do get is the natural sunlight that comes in and moves across the tank throughout the day. The wall to the left is basically all windows. Gives the corals an extra burst of bright, natural light. You can see some of it here.
1707794636818.jpeg

1707794586735.jpeg

fltt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow.. Awesome Room and Reef !!!!!!!!!
Nice work on Reef and cabinets.....

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 87 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.2%
Back