My 248G Glassbox

h20poloman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't post much in this forum but decided to show my new custom tank set up that has been in the works for over a year now. I've been in the hobby for about 9 years and this is the first brand new aquarium I've ever purchased. I previously had tanks from 7g up to 240g with my most recent being a 120g mixed reef. I finally started having success with SPS and with the wife and I starting to talk about having a family I decided now was the time to get a bigger tank before she could say no. :lol:

I had been following a tank thread on another forum with similar dimensions except not as tall as what I decided on that used the same light fixture. I know with all the rage being LEDs I just couldn't resist a solid deal on a used Sfiligoi MH/T5/LED combo fixture since I knew I wanted to have an SPS dominant tank. I actually purchased the light fixture before I had any other equipment including the tank itself. I ended up buying the tank, a Lee-Mar 248g with starphire front panel at the end of August 2012. The dimensions are 64"L x 32"W x 28"T with dual overflows in the corners.

I was planning on having the custom stand made next but found some good deals on brand new equipment so decided to buy as I could so that delayed the stand build. My work travel also picked up substantially so this played a part into not being able to set up the tank as soon as I was planning. I was on a plane every week for the first 3 months of this year as well. My work travel will ease out a bit but I do plan on having as much automation as possible all controlled by an RKE and will have a webcam to check in on my tank while I'm away.

Finally came my stand build. This is the nicest piece of furniture in my house. :) I ended up having a fellow reefer who is a general contractor by trade and has made some fantastic cabinets when he has had the time build the frame after the cabinet shop obviously didn't understand even though I told them how heavy this tank will weight once it's full as they didn't even have 2x4's for the frame. I then had them ultimately do the skinning of the stand and I've very happy with the work. It's a beast and weighs probably as much as the aquarium.

Last, I had a custom light fixture made - once again enlisting a fellow reefer in San Diego who owns a metalshop. I explained that I was looking for something pretty sleek and that wouldn't distract from the Sfiligoi but possibly have some movement to allow me to really get my hands in the tank if necessary. He build a very cool and sexy light fixture that is powder coated black and has a linear actuator that can lift my Sfiligoi up 12". Pretty cool little feature. So anyhow, I finally got water in my tank about a week ago. I'm using all dry rock as I didn't want to deal with any potential bad guys right off the bat. This is also the most sand I've ever used, 300lbs of it (Tropic Eden - mixture of reef flakes on the bottom layer and then the larger grand select on top) for a DSB. I'm going with a minimal rock look and used acrylic rods for my main two structures with a little bit of rock around them to give a little bit more texture. I'm going to have to pick my SPS wisely as I ultimately won't have that much real estate.

Here are some pics:
Frame built with 2x4's and a couple 2x6's.

at the cabinet shop getting skinned

finished stand

set up complete

we have light - this is only with the t5s on

I've also picked up a dropcam to use as a reefcam. Easiest set up ever and reasonably priced for an HD webcam. Not much to look at now but it's still a cool little gadget.

http://www.dropcam.com/p/PlankerReef

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is really beautiful!

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP
12g Nanoreef. Zooanthids, Ricordia, Star Polyps and two clownfish. CF Lighting, 75% actinic blue, 25% 10,000k white.

OP
OP
h20poloman2

h20poloman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
h20poloman2

h20poloman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful setup, keep the updates coming!

WOW , very nice setup. Can't wait to see more.

Thanks guys, I've had good patience so far but having the patience and picture how the sps will grow into place will be a bit tough for me. Having that future vision to know how the coral will grow out and fill up the tank is tough to not overcrowd your tank from the get go. Will be tough to choose which SPS pieces to pick out for this tank.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What a gorgeous tank and stand! Can't wait to see more!

OP
OP
h20poloman2

h20poloman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys and yeah, I've already caught flack about the window glare during the day from one of my good friends who is also the President now for SDMAS. I told him if he would like to buy me blinds for those windows he can. :) I can ultimately end up just turning the cam on once the lights kick on which is later in the day and won't have that crazy glare where you see what is going on in my street. The rock that I added is what I'm sticking with for now, wanted to try and go with a fairly minimalistic aquascape and hopefully grow out some large SPS colonies. I have a few zoas/palys and a mummy eye chalice I put in the tank for now since my holding tank is becoming an algae fest again. I threw in a couple large raw shrimp to get the cycle going which I haven't done before and also added some microbacter 7 since I used all brand new sand in addition to dry rock. Was trying to keep the inherited pests to a minimum from the get go.

OP
OP
h20poloman2

h20poloman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow this is gorgeous!! Great job!

Thank you.

Tank is cycled, just added a cleaning crew and have had a few corals moved over from the holding tank....got my first piece of SPS today so finally set the halides to actually come on as I've only been having the t5s turn on for the polyps and one chalice I had in the tank till now. Got a nice maricultured piece from AquaSD today....exciting to be able to shop for corals again. Working up a group buy from one of the reefers on here with some of my fellow San Diegan reefers so should be ordering quite a few frags in the near future. Need to hook up my CA reactor...think I'm actually going to house it in the shed behind the wall where the tank sits. I have my halide ballasts in there and even though it's a pretty big tank with a 100g sump sitting in the stand the room underneath is pretty limited. Would be nice to also have a 55g ATO drum housed in there as well as I'm going to experience quite a bit of evaporation.

OP
OP
h20poloman2

h20poloman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hooked up my CA reactor a could weeks ago. I decided to put the carbon reactor inside the sump to free up some stand space for the reactor instead of trying to house the CA reactor inside the shed behind the wall. I had tried using a CA reactor many years ago but always seemed to have problems trying to dial it in. Since I knew this tank was going to be SPS dominant it wouldn't be smart to try and continue using my dosers that I had success with on my previous 120g. After a lot of research, reviews, speaking with other well known hobbyists I splurged and bought the Aquariumplants.com carbon doser. It by far was the easiest regulator I ever set up and so far so good. It's feeding a very large GEO 818 calcium reactor.

While I like tanks that have an open minimalistic look I'm pretty sure that I'm going to add some more rock near the middle rear of the tank. This will allow me to have some more space for additional SPS but also provide more hiding room for fish to help reduce their stress. I haven't added the connection yet to my manifold to start feeding a GFO reactor yet so that will come later when I feel the need. I also ordered a new return pump, the Diablo 10500 as the Water Blaster 12500 is too much flow for my drains even after feeding the additional reactors - it sounds like niagra falls.....my last set up you couldn't hear anything so I like the fact that the Diablo is energy efficient and controllable. It will drop my energy use by almost 100w. Unfortunately they are on backorder everywhere so I'm not expecting to have it ship out till the end of the month at the earliest.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%

Back