My 248G Glassbox

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything's coming along nicely, love the stand.

OP
OP
h20poloman2

h20poloman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything's coming along nicely, love the stand.

Thank you. I also hooked up my Tunze Osmolator last week since I had a 3 day business trip. Love that piece of equipment. I'm working on getting all the equipment to have my two tunze 6105's and RKE on battery backup in case of a power outtage. Summer is here so it's more likely we will have one pretty soon, better to be prepared.

naldopr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I had some one capable to do a stand like yours in my area definitely amazing work!!! love your tank dimensions

OP
OP
h20poloman2

h20poloman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I had some one capable to do a stand like yours in my area definitely amazing work!!! love your tank dimensions
Thank you, you never know....it's all about networking. I'm sure there are some skilled craftsmen in Puerto Rico....I would also think are some local reef clubs there and that is a great place to meet fellow reefers that may have the skills/be in the trade and/or know someone else that is. The guy that build my stand is a general contractor by trade and hobbyists...he also could have did the skin work on it, just depends on his availability. I went with a cabinet shop that another reefer had used that had previously done a lot of other cabinet work in his home and he started speaking with him about doing the work on his new aquarium. I loved the look and quality so went that route. It wasn't cheap by any means, it's truly a piece of furniture though and you often get what you pay for.

Love the setup
Thank you, it's starting to come along

OP
OP
h20poloman2

h20poloman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think I've about dialed in my skimmer. With the ATO set up it keeps my water level spot on in the sump because just like any internal skimmer if you don't have a consistent water level you are definitely not going to get good performance out of it. So far I'm very pleased with the Super Reef Octopus XP5000i. It's a mid-range skimmer from a price point, not cheap but also not in the Alpha Vertex/Bubble King Range. The Water Blaster pumps they use so far I'm a fan of. No start up issues, extremely quite and generate great flow/bubbles. Here is a shot from today, I had just cleaned it out on Sunday and my tank isn't very stocked at this point. Always amazed at the crap these things can pull out of a tank.

duke4130

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Geese... That's a lot of gunk!!!!!!!! You think I can fit that skimmer in my tank??? LoL:bigsmile:

OP
OP
h20poloman2

h20poloman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Geese... That's a lot of gunk!!!!!!!! You think I can fit that skimmer in my tank??? LoL:bigsmile:

Ha Kevin, pretty sure that skimmer is about as big as your tank. Hard to tell by the pic but the collector cup on these are very large.

OP
OP
h20poloman2

h20poloman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I added a bit more dry rock in the rear center of the tank to give the fish a bit more room to hide and add some real estate for additional corals. Here are some new pics I snapped yesterday.

jm23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the look of the rimless tank on that stand. Beautiful photos as well.

OP
OP
h20poloman2

h20poloman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the look of the rimless tank on that stand. Beautiful photos as well.

Thank you...it's actually not rimless. It was supposed to be just eurobraced but due to the dimensions it also has a center brace. My preference is always eurobraced since I live in earthquakeland. Rimless look great but are a PITA in my opinion when it comes to water splash and at more at risk to fail. One thing I should have done was have the eurobracing recessed slightly to add an additional lip on top of the tank for even an additional layer of protection from water splash.

OP
OP
h20poloman2

h20poloman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no covers at all with those wrasses huh
someone likes to live dangerously lol

Yeah, I do need to make some screens. Never had an issue with my wasses jumping out of the last tank but with the little 60g holding tank the Radiant did jump out one night. Fortunately my wife saw it and called me down so I could get him back in the tank. Pretty sure they are enjoying all the space in the new tank...no need to carpet surf. If you jinxed me you are going to owe me a new wrasse LOL

OP
OP
h20poloman2

h20poloman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newest fish addition, just got him to eat this morning and he arrived this past Wednesday. Back fin took a little damage from being the guy on the block. Love the coloration

OP
OP
h20poloman2

h20poloman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bit of an update. After having Marc Levenson come do a talk at our SDMAS meeting I decided to give Biopellets a try again. I was an early adopter before much was known on how to use them effectively so having a better idea on how to set them up this time I've been pleased with the results. I did go through an initial cyanobacteria bloom but more than likely caused from overfeeding than the biopellets. The tank seems to be running on cruise control now (knock on wood) and the sps frags I've picked up are coloring up and growing out. I've added some fish as well including my only attempt at an Achilles. The Achilles I had a LFS QT for me for 6 weeks. I just added it yesterday to the tank where a yellow and blue tang already have been acclimating for a few months. It took a little beating by the YT but I've been keeping my eye on it and so far it seems to be doing well and the YT appears to have relaxed now with the new additions. I also added a Copperband Butterfly (lost my first one after about a month) and Hawaiian Flameback Angel (tiny pygmy angel). Was told the angel would go after acan lords, fleshy lps like lobos and clams of which I don't have any. I figure if it ends up nipping at some of my sps it may actually make it healthier (I've read some positive things about fish that pick at sps). I upgraded my powerheads on my back wall from Tunze 6095's to 6105's so I'm now running 4 total controlled for random flow by a 7096 controller. I'll likely snap more pics this week or weekend but here are a few older ones I've taken.

Save for pics

Last edited:
OP
OP
h20poloman2

h20poloman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmm...guess I can't edit my post anymore to add the pics? Anyway, here are some shots from tonight

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Gorgeous tank and stand! looking forward to following your progress...

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks awesome!!

OP
OP
h20poloman2

h20poloman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Gorgeous tank and stand! looking forward to following your progress...
Thank you both - someday hopefully my SPS will mirror your colonies. :) BTW, I got a few boxes of the Marine Environment salt for Christmas, I've done 2 water changes so far. I'm a lazy tester so can't really cite any specifics however it mixes really well and all my corals have been happy so it's working fine for me so far.

Looks awesome!!
Thank you - not really happy with my aquascape but just trying to wait out the SPS growth and see how it starts looking once the corals fill in the space.

Have to say one of the coolest things I had made was the light fixture holder with the actuator on it. Being able to raise my light fixture a foot higher with the switch of a button has been great and I use it more often then I thought I would. Jus tone of the benefits of meeting fellow reefers at club meetings, etc.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 23.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 32.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back