My 300 gallon in works

Knight_Fall

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, i recently joined the site but i have had a couple of requests to see my build or my plan so i will share what i have and update as i get things done. For starters the tank diminsions are 8'x2'x31"tall. i currently have the tank set up to be a penninsula. oh and 3 of the 4 sides are starfire glass.

So i guess let's start at the beginning. when i started out in this hobby, i had a 75 gallon marine land aquarium. a guy at the lfs helped me set it up with a 30g sump. a year or so later i out grew the aquarium and decided i wanted something bigger. i couldn't actually find the size i wanted (and i am a little impulsive) so i bought a 125 and decided i would just run both of them. i am a single dad and work 9+ hours a day. so about 3-4 months ago i decided it would be easier to maintain 1 aquarium instead of 2 so i started my search and happened upon this beauty. before i could set it up though i decided i needed to do some remodeling in my house. i spent 3 days and ripped the carpet out and tiled the floor. oh and i tore my 75 gallon down. i got hooked up by the guy at the lfs and he let me borrow his 100 gallon vat to keep the water from the tank and a place to put my live rock at. all of the livestock in the tank went into my 125 which is extremely cramped now. the tank overflows are actually drilled right down the middle of the tank. 4 holes that are 3" across each. so i get the tank home and it only takes me and 5 other people to actually get it in my house......that was a fun night.....after working 9 hours and driving 1 hour to get it and an hour back. so i start to look at all the plumbing and realize i am 1 bulkhead short. i get the guy at the lfs to order one for me but it takes a week for it to come in. keep in mind the 100 gallon vat with my liverock is sitting out side (about a week by the time i get the bulkheads in). oh and to make things real fun the temperature outside starts swinging crazy. it was 80 for 2 or 3 days then it dropped to 40 so i dumped my heaters in it and crossed my fingers. i get the bulkheads in and start plumbing it again only to figure out i can't actually get my sump under this tank. so i spin the stand and cut the end off of it so i can slide a sump into it. i talk to the lfs guy and we pick out a pump to run this tank. after we settle on one i start putting 2 and 2 together and realize i am going to have to drill a hole in the side of my sump to hook this pump to, and i have never done this before. thankfully i manage to drill the tank without cracking the glass. then i drill out an acrylic tank to mate to it, and then finally mate the pump to the acrylic one. after i have finally done all this i start putting water in the tank. i put about 10 gallons in at a time and check for leaks. no leaks on the first 2 loads, but when i get about 30-40 gallons in it one of them starts leaking. so i tighten the bulkhead a little bit and it gets worse. i end up having to drain the tank because i warped the bulkhead trying to stop the leak. i run to the local hardware store and get a new 'O' ring and go home, replace the bulkhead and start putting water in it again. once again at about 30-40 gallons the same bulkhead starts leaking. once again i drain the tank. i go to the lfs the next day and buy a tube of silicone and decide to silicone all the bulkheads closed. wait 3 days to be on the safe side and start filling it with water again. get it to about 90g and get a small drip from the same bulkhead that was leaking originally. talked to a few people and it so such a small amount we decide it will probably seal itself from evaporation and subtraight and what not. still not fully set up but i will show you guys what it looks like so far, but i am trying to get it filled tonight and fully running to check for any other leaks before i start stocking it. thanks for sticking though that long windedness. the last picture is my 125 that is currently set up. enjoy, i think.
2012-04-23_20-33-23_410.jpg
2012-04-28_21-38-04_273.jpg
2012-04-28_21-38-33_389.jpg
2012-05-05_06-26-18_604.jpg
2012-05-05_06-26-32_997.jpg

BarbH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that sure is one large tank, look forward to following your progress on it.

OP
OP
Knight_Fall

Knight_Fall

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the two inside pipes are drain, and the 2 outside ones are the returns. the returns are actually above the water level of the tank. i put a 'T' on the top of each return pipe and will run dual locklines into the tank off of each end of the 'T'. to give an idea of what i am running. i have 4 of the new radion fixtures going over it and 4 300watt fluval heaters. not sure exactly what the pump is the guy at the lfs helped me pick it out. but i think he said it was a 'dart' and at 5' above it, the pump puts out 4400 gph. i am going to try to run it without power heads in the tank at first. if i have enough water flow then i will be happy. otherwise i have 4 or 5 other power heads i can put in there. i plan for it to be mostly SPS, but there are definately some LPS that i like. mostly acans and candy's. i have a few chalices as well, but for the most part i love tabling acros.

revsgirl

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a monster! Congrats!

Loki

My skimmate doesn't stink
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a BIG tank!! I know you are ready to get this going! I'm ready to see it. Be sure to keep us updated. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Knight_Fall

Knight_Fall

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is 31" tall. i have 4 of the new Radion fixtures to go over it. just have to do some minor modifications to the hood to get them mounted in there properly.

OP
OP
Knight_Fall

Knight_Fall

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks. i am hoping to get it full tonight and let it run and make sure everything is good before i start stocking it, assuming i can get a buddy to come help me take the hook off and make the modifications to it i need.

OP
OP
Knight_Fall

Knight_Fall

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so, in the last couple of days, i have cleaned 2 bags of substraight. 1 of the big lumpy bumby stuff and some of the fine aragonite. the tank should be full tonight so i can check it out for leaks before i actually put my stuff in it. will spend the rest of the night spreading out some of the substraight and checking for leaks. i will take some pictures after the water clears up.

OP
OP
Knight_Fall

Knight_Fall

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i went home on lunch today to finish filling the tank and start the pump up. yes, i got the pump running. i also managed to dump about 15 gallons of water on the floor as well though. the upside is i put tile down before i set the tank up so i don't have wet carpet. i need to redo the top of my drain pipes. the top i have on them is sucking air down with the water and creating bubbles in my sump causing my pump to suck air and spray it back into the tank. tonight i will be going to the hardware store to get some joints and what not to redo some of the pipes. other than that hiccup it is running for the most part. on a side note, the pump i have is rediculous. i love it, nice and quite. the loudest part of the system are the drains and hopefully i can get that fixed tonight so i can put lights over it tomorrow if i have time.

OP
OP
Knight_Fall

Knight_Fall

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the drains have been giving me issues. flooded my house twice yesterday trying to get the water level and sump working properly and getting the plumbing done the right way. on a side note, now i understand why a lot of people use PVC pipe for everything. that flex tubing sucked to do.

OP
OP
Knight_Fall

Knight_Fall

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so, i recently found out my sump is not big enough. my total sump space is about 40 gallons, but if i lose power my tank will drain about 30 gallons into the sump. that has been my biggest problem lately and i have been looking for a solution. yesterday i came to the conclusion that i would just put a 100 gallon vat next to the tank to use as my sump. right now the tank is set up as a pennisula. i have just enough room to get the vat back there if i take the doors off the backside of the stand. too make it look nice i am going to make a 'bench' with padding and what not to put over the top of the vat so that people can go back there and sit.....namely me, and read while i watch my fish and what not. the plan is to put 2 hinged doors in the 'bench'. one to get into the vat to do the maitenance on the system and the other would be behind the vat to mount all of my electrical connections. tonight i am going to get the vat plumbed to the tank, or that is the hope anyways. and then i will get some fresh pictures up. going to take me a couple days to build a 'bench' but i will post as i get some of the stuff done. fingers crossed this works.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 46.0%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.9%
Back