My Attempt at Breeding Mandarin Dragonetts!

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got him!
47ea9a4b-f016-03dc.jpg

I find it funny how the slowest fish in the tank is the hardest to get a picture of.
Hatching trays:
47ea9a4b-f085-d61c.jpg

47ea9a4b-f09b-d677.jpg

Some misc. equipment:
47ea9a4b-f0ca-4304.jpg

The hatching trays are 4 and 1/2 gallons each, and perfect for fast-hatchers like mandarins.

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish are doing the mating dance nightly, no signs of a pregnant female yet, but hopefully she will be laying soon.I am building a new setup for my various cultures in the mean time, I will show progress of that as well, once that set up is complete, I will begin a tigger pod culture to feed the more matured fry.

Hyprviperx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great thread, best of luck to you. i am currently in the same boat. however i had to pair mine myself. i will also keep you posted on my progress as well... i am using the species S. Picturatus (targets). i will be subscribing, and hopefully helping out the thread.

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great thread, best of luck to you. i am currently in the same boat. however i had to pair mine myself. i will also keep you posted on my progress as well... i am using the species S. Picturatus (targets). i will be subscribing, and hopefully helping out the thread.

Thanks! GL with your breeding. What kind of cultures are you running right now to feed the fry?

Hyprviperx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks, i just took down my cultures to revamp it all but i had brine, phyto, copepods and rotifers. i would like to get live mysis going and also tigger pods. i like to suprise my main tank with lives every now and again to mix it up and i can only imagine how they would love live mysis. i will keep you posted

Just Clownin Around

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am definitely following along. my clown broodstock system have mysids swimming all over the place. funny thing is i never added them on purpose.

i cant wait to see the copepod setup, would like to set one up myself

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am definitely following along. my clown broodstock system have mysids swimming all over the place. funny thing is i never added them on purpose.

i cant wait to see the copepod setup, would like to set one up myself

Its a very simple set up, just a ten gallon with an airstone. Add pods and phyto, and your in business.

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a very simple set up, just a ten gallon with an airstone. Add pods and phyto, and your in business.

You can do it even easier. If you have a large surface to air ratio, you don't even need an airstone. I've been raising a culture of Tigriopus californicus in a 5-gallon bucket for about a year now like this (with no crashes). I'm using a mixture of T. Iso, Nanno and Thalassiosira weissflogii to feed them.

CJ

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do it even easier. If you have a large surface to air ratio, you don't even need an airstone. I've been raising a culture of Tigriopus californicus in a 5-gallon bucket for about a year now like this (with no crashes). I'm using a mixture of T. Iso, Nanno and Thalassiosira weissflogii to feed them.

CJ

Don't they grow slower that way?

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that they may have laid tonight, I woke up this morning to a ton of what looked like mandarin eggs floating around. I will not be taking the first few spawns, plus I need to finish the breeding set up (halfway don right now!

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't they grow slower that way?

I'm not positive, but I don't think so. It's simple gas exchange. Also, if you do run a bubbler, be sure that it is on slow. Fast bubbles can interefere with them during one of their early growth phases.

I think that they may have laid tonight, I woke up this morning to a ton of what looked like mandarin eggs floating around. I will not be taking the first few spawns, plus I need to finish the breeding set up (halfway don right now!

That's awesome!

CJ

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not positive, but I don't think so. It's simple gas exchange. Also, if you do run a bubbler, be sure that it is on slow. Fast bubbles can interefere with them during one of their early growth phases.

That's awesome!

CJ
I only use the air bubbler for oxygen, so it's already slow. I finished the breeding setup, now the cultures just need to be moved.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.3%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 71 47.3%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back