My clown fish is super aggressive and bites my hand!!!

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Killer clowns !!! Mine once jumped out the tank and I’m sure was going for my throat !!!:eek::eek:.. but I must admit last few months they never bother me now when my hand is in the tank .. they are also a mated pair and lay eggs

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got extremely lucky and my female clown only nibbles at me to ask where the food is. Absolutely no aggression from her, or her mate. Mine seem to be the exception, tho, as many people post here about their clowns drawing blood and I even read one thread a few months back of a clown jumping out of the tank to bite one member in the eye.

My clowns are the same way, they will nibble my fingertips until I put food in lol! I remember the thread about the eye biter too

njtiger aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 54 I had two clowns that never bugged me. Now in my 36 I have one clown and it bites me every chance it gets. I finally got used to it.

HiddenUser

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that Clowns are some of the meanest fish despite what Disney says! ;) I had some Tomato clowns that drew a little bit of blood when they bit me...and it was both the male and the female that would bite too!

liveround69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normal behavior, I echo everyone else and reccomend some shoulder length nitrile muck gloves. Can get them for about 10$ on amazon. Also, just be lucky it’s not a grandma maroon over 6” with a mouth full of 1/8” razor blades. The gloves don’t even save you and you can only stick your hand in the tank when a second person acts as the swatter keeping it at bay with a spatula.

Tell me about it. I have a mating pair of Maroons and they are really mean. When they are breeding and I attempt to feed them or clean her tank without assistance she tries to remove pieces of my hand. Of course with those razor teeth and her speed she usually gets lucky and makes a mess of my knuckles. She is so pretty to look at but she is a real pain in the rump or hand depending on your view of the situation. :)

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your clownfish didn't bite you she would not be very healthy. They are supposed to do that.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
clownfish teeth.jpg

This female B/W misbar used to jump out of water to bite me and drew blood. Take a look at those teeth. ;Shifty

LuckyEd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My percula clownfish bites me every time I clean the tank. I am sure is a defense reaction to my hands intruding into her 45 gallon world.

FlyinBryan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my wife chase it away with one of those long plastic pincer things while I’m working in the tank. They are a nasty little bugger!

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 of them give you twice as much reason to be scared. Here they are spawning, she is about 18 and just legal.

That’s beyond cool, they are a beautiful pair. What is your feeding routine? Plenty of live critters I assume?

JimFuller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one that used to byte. She now waits until I am done working in the tank. I then feed her some LRS food that I started thawing prior to doing the tank work. The works about 95% of the time. The rest she nips when she thinks I am taking too long in getting things done ;)

timfountain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Maroon 15 years ago in a FOLR 210 who was a big bad bruiser and could take chunks out of my hand, and didn't have any problem with attacking first and asking questions later.... My current one is pretty tame and swims away if my hand is in the water. I love maroons too much to ever be worried about it.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 31.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back