My Coral Catfish

megisawesome06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow reefers.

I want to preface this with the fact that we bought an established tank a few weeks ago. I did not pick any of these fish. (I love them all, I don't want to sound like I don't.)

I've been doing a lot of research and my coral catfish (Snape) may not be the best fit for my tank. He's not harmed anyone or anything. In fact he's a model citizen. He quickly became one of my favorites. He follows me around the tank and is NOT camera shy. I really love him, but he's only like 3 or 4 inches now. I read that they get more aggressive when they mature...and he'll grow to be a foot long.
He hasn't harmed anyone in the tank to my knowledge. And I have a small approx 1" pink spotted goby. He hasn't messed with it at all.

Anyway, I guess I just want pros and cons. Give me your two cents.

Oh, tank stats: 150g deep. That's about all I know. I'm going to have to have someone come here from the fish store to help me. Anyway. I keep digressing. Sorry bout that.

Ok. Let me have it!

TIA!!! [emoji245]

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are venomous.

They will eat anything that can fit in their mouth.

They have a ravenous appetite.

Produce a lot of waste.

Can be fairly predatory.

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would re home it now before it has the chance to become a problem. If it decides to become a problem by the time you realized it and caught it, it would have already laid waste to your tank.

OP
OP
megisawesome06

megisawesome06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm leaning toward rehoming him. How should I go about doing that? My LFS?

OP
OP
megisawesome06

megisawesome06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question. Does anyone know how much I should expect to get for him? I just want to make sure I'm not being taken advantage of.
325b06841642cb1dc4240417cc69dc79.jpg

acolotto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
liveaquaria.com is a great source to check quick info and prices of fish. Also most LFS give you some sort of credit towards the store. It varies some places give a 4th of the cost of the fish and some give more. Call the LFS before anything because they may not take it, and you would have to find a hobbyist to take the fish.

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sadly if you sell LFS do not expect too much, remember they would have to then sale it to someone else and still make money.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is not much of a market for coral catfish. An LFS may not give you any credit for this, but they are doing you a solid by taking it.

OP
OP
megisawesome06

megisawesome06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Good. I was just making sure. He was worth about $12 according to live aquaria. I didn't take anything for him. I just want him with someone whose more prepared than I am! [emoji38]

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 26.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 31 30.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back