OP
OP
Russo757

Russo757

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey bud! Random but how’s your Papaya doing?
Good just more green then it can be. I think it needs a lot of light and I’m tapped on space at the moment
D5AC3CD1-C007-4331-83CC-064AD5E8E9E9.jpeg

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the whole colony of fuzzy navel have the odd growth? Looks crazy and is intriguing to say the least. Never seen an acro with that growth look so cool! Awesome pic!

OP
OP
Russo757

Russo757

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the whole colony of fuzzy navel have the odd growth? Looks crazy and is intriguing to say the least. Never seen an acro with that growth look so cool! Awesome pic!
No. Honestly I think it looks that way because it stalled. I’ve been getting decent growth lately since switching up my bulb combo so hopefully it will push branches and lose the bumpy tissue soon

OP
OP
Russo757

Russo757

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Russo, ran across your thread....why no updates since April?? Beautiful pics!
hey there and great question. Partially because my build is at a stand still. I need a sump made for my large system and the company who makes them has been closed due to COVID. As soon as they open, ill get the sump and can finish the build. Until they Ive got a lot of glass with no water in it...Second reason would be I'm experiencing a small scale tank crash. Last month I began seeing my Calc drop. I had attributed it to 1. my tank going well and lots of new growth, 2. I was adding a small amount of alk via red sea foundations to my system nightly to help tighten the swing from my reactor. By adding the alk and not calc component I assumed it would slowly draw down the calc. So naturally i began adding calc. Well my numbers still didnt go up. I calibrated my trident and the low numbers held. So i decided to send off an ICP test and low and behold my calc was over 700. I contacted Neptune and they had me to a factory reset on the trident, change reagents then calibrate 2 days later and low and behold my calc was crazy high. So i naturally began testing everything and found my No3 was also stupid high, close to 40 when i usually run about 16. My guess is because the calc was so high it stressed the corals out and caused them to quit taking up nutrients, thus causing the spike. So i did my best to let the levels come down naturally and slowly but the damage was already done. Lots of coral browned out, some went pale, and others peeled. As of yesterday I'm still throwing away pieces almost daily from the issues from last month. I'm hoping in near the end of the loses as things have been stable for 3 weeks not but only time will tell.

So, that being said the next set of pics I'll post will probably be of newly acquired frags to grow out again in an effort to rebuild. It stinks, but it happens from time to time in this hobby.

Sweet Reef Corals

SweetReefOH on IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Man, I hate to hear that. I guess we get complacent in trusting our high dollar equipment. We should be able to trust that it is properly doing it’s job! Such a shame.

I hope that you haven’t lost too much and that you get things straightened out and back on a good path!

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey there and great question. Partially because my build is at a stand still. I need a sump made for my large system and the company who makes them has been closed due to COVID. As soon as they open, ill get the sump and can finish the build. Until they Ive got a lot of glass with no water in it...Second reason would be I'm experiencing a small scale tank crash. Last month I began seeing my Calc drop. I had attributed it to 1. my tank going well and lots of new growth, 2. I was adding a small amount of alk via red sea foundations to my system nightly to help tighten the swing from my reactor. By adding the alk and not calc component I assumed it would slowly draw down the calc. So naturally i began adding calc. Well my numbers still didnt go up. I calibrated my trident and the low numbers held. So i decided to send off an ICP test and low and behold my calc was over 700. I contacted Neptune and they had me to a factory reset on the trident, change reagents then calibrate 2 days later and low and behold my calc was crazy high. So i naturally began testing everything and found my No3 was also stupid high, close to 40 when i usually run about 16. My guess is because the calc was so high it stressed the corals out and caused them to quit taking up nutrients, thus causing the spike. So i did my best to let the levels come down naturally and slowly but the damage was already done. Lots of coral browned out, some went pale, and others peeled. As of yesterday I'm still throwing away pieces almost daily from the issues from last month. I'm hoping in near the end of the loses as things have been stable for 3 weeks not but only time will tell.

So, that being said the next set of pics I'll post will probably be of newly acquired frags to grow out again in an effort to rebuild. It stinks, but it happens from time to time in this hobby.
Wow Ryan, that's tough. Hopefully you've got it all corrected now. Looking forward to the new build when it gets going again!

MentalNote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read over this thread multiple times - trying to duplicate even a measure of your success. I always considered your colors to be the epitomize of success.

Sorry to hear about your difficulties. Good luck! I'm sure they'll rebound nicely.

MysticSea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every-time I see those with Acros it makes me want to start that is the only coral I really haven't tried. Mostly due to it not being easy to get store wise. I worked with a coral lab and we grew all sorts of Acros one of which that is in the photos was the Unicorn Acro!

Dave Cureton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read the whole thread. Man what a roller coaster ride! Sorry to hear things went sideways but appreciate you sharing your experiences. Good reminder for everyone to follow your gut and occasionally double check devices against titration tests and/or ICP. I’m going to check against my trident right now. Good luck on turning it around even though I know you don’t need it!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back