My dry rock collapsed - chemistry is BAD!!!

Carbon Vessel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

So my chemistry was going well after cycling new tank in December 2021.

It was my first aquascape attempt, and was in the middle of the ugly stage so I was doing a clean. During the clean, I knocked the top rock off and it almost crushed my torch and conch snail.

Because I didn’t bond the rocks together properly the first time (4 large rocks), I found it impossible to re-build the aquascape. So made what is probably the worst decision, and removed all of the rock work.

This is where it gets interesting….. I happened to pick up a custom bit of rockwork from LFS and put it in the tank. Which is great because it looks fantastic

That is where the issues began. Because it is not a mature tank, the chemistry took a dive. I assume it has reset the cycle and by removing the “older rock” I have removed a huge amount of beneficial bacteria. I was able to keep a piece of the “older rock” in the tank, but it is only 20G, so space is limited.

The chemistry is as follows

NH3 - 1.2
NO2 - 0.50
NO3 - 5.0

I am doing water changes every day or two (up to 30%), but I’m not noticing any change. I am currently dosing Seachem Prime and stability daily.

Outside this, does anyone have any additional suggestions to keep things safe and get things back on track as fast and safely as possible?

Last edited:

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any local people that you can borrow a piece of mature live rock to boost the bacteria?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you removed your rock all at once, then yes, you basically removed your biological filter. Your tank has to go through the process of growing the bacteria again on the new rock. I would suggest to get microbacter7, it will help the process go much faster.

BrianAnthony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uggh... Should have left as much older rock in there and then taken it out slowly after established.

Water changes stall the cycle... Typically, you would cycle and not change the water until Ammonia and Nitrites read zero. Even afterwards your tank could do mini cycles.

I would get the torch out of there and see if a LFS can hold him until you are completely cycled. Not sure about the conch...

Also, if you can re-home the torch... Stop using those chemicals, do a complete water change and start it off the right way.

OP
OP
Carbon Vessel

Carbon Vessel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you removed your rock all at once, then yes, you basically removed your biological filter. Your tank has to go through the process of growing the bacteria again on the new rock. I would suggest to get microbacter7, it will help the process go much faster.

Thanks. Appreciate the advice

OP
OP
Carbon Vessel

Carbon Vessel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uggh... Should have left as much older rock in there and then taken it out slowly after established.

Water changes stall the cycle... Typically, you would cycle and not change the water until Ammonia and Nitrites read zero. Even afterwards your tank could do mini cycles.

I would get the torch out of there and see if a LFS can hold him until you are completely cycled. Not sure about the conch...

Also, if you can re-home the torch... Stop using those chemicals, do a complete water change and start it off the right way.

I agree it wasn’t a smart move, but I was so disappointed by the collapse, I made a poor decision. They say hindsights 20/20. I have managed to keep some rock in the tank, but as it is a 20G, so space is limited. I appreciate the advice

BrianAnthony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree it wasn’t a smart move, but I was so disappointed by the collapse, I made a poor decision. They say hindsights 20/20. I have managed to keep some rock in the tank, but as it is a 20G, so space is limited. I appreciate the advice

Good luck to you... I like torches. Never had one, but it's on my to do list.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 10 29.4%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 16 47.1%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.9%
Back