My in-depth review on the Kessil LEDs

AquariGod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi my fellow addicts, it's me again with a really really detailed review on Kessil LEDs, specifically the A350/360's, wide and narrow. I'm touching on the basis of the lights ; their performance regarding looks internal and external, as well as how easily they function on a reef tank and other things such as affordability, life-span, and heat or noise, and why I think they're one of the best out there.

Ok so let's get this started.

Performance : 10/10
Any light they sell that claims to support any coral, DOES. Rapid growth and spectacular colors are no suprise with these lights, particular the A350/360 narrow. The intensity and spectrum is fantastic.

Internal appeal : 10/10
Literally everyone I've talked to who had seen these had said at one point or another the shimmer is mesmerizing. It gives that natural reef look with a boost of color that makes everything pop. There are no little spots of a certain color in the tank, all colors blend very well which I think is an extreme advantage over most other LEDs.

External appeal : 8/10, External customization : 10/10
Although the gooseneck is what's most commonly used and is what is most easily maneuvered, it doesn't look as sleek as other fixtures. HOWEVER it is still very low profile, and most people love that you are able to move it around however you like with the gooseneck, which is extremely easy for doing maintenance compared to other fixtures where you have to take the whole thing off, or bend it back.

Affordability : 7.5/10
Don't get me wrong, out of all the LEDs these usually run a little higher than average (unless you're talking about AI's hydra, Or Ecotech's Radion ) because you usually have to/want to buy a gooseneck, hanging fixture, controller etc. Just the lights themselves, especially talking about the A150's are pretty affordable when performance is considered.

Lifespan : 9/10
Although I cannot comment on my fixtures lifespan, others have had these for quite a while without a single LED burning out. Performance stays solid, which is a huge benefit, plus a 2 year warranty.

Heat, noise, annoyances : 10/10
Most cannot even remotely detect the noise of a fan on this LED. It's dead quiet. Heat is no issue either, while some hot air does blow out of the fan area the fixture itself stay nice and cool. No annoyances that I can see.

Control : A360 and later, 10/10
A350 7/10, A150 0/10
The controller for the 360 is fantastic, nothing wrong there. It can also be hooked up to a reef keeper, or apex which is a big plus too.
Personally I'm perfectly content with the A350's control, however it would be nice to have a proper controller for it. A150.... No. That's the only place they messed up, they're not controllable at all, only on and off.

All in all I now love kessil. To me, they did everything right when considering the type of LED fixture, being a small multi-chip with a ton of shimmer and great performance. If you're debating between LEDs to put over your tank, I would definitely say go with kessil.

Hope you liked my review guys, thanks for reading.

Ash

Last edited:
OP
OP
AquariGod

AquariGod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never measured PAR, however I've heard that its pretty efficient. PAR really shouldn't matter as long as the coral/inverts are growing; it works.

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got the A360WEs and completely agree with everything you listed.

Ericsch333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think to 360wE would be enough for a standard 90 gallon

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is a 75g 4ft tank so two should work on the 90g.

OP
OP
AquariGod

AquariGod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input guys. Yeah, they are awesome, I guarantee you will not be disappointed. There's a variety of other advantages too, such as how they make their own LEDs while most others use Cree, so you get a new look too. Fantastic fixture, unique and reliable. Very well built.

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another point as far as aesthetics...I'd originally just had them hanging from the goose neck. I didn't really like the look and it was hard to position them centered over the tank. I bought the 4" adapter so that now the lights hang straight down and you have more flexibility in the goose neck.

mainereefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont use them but a friend of mine bought a few A360WEs, took them off his tank after a weeks use and put the chinese fixtures (gbgreensun d120) back over his tank. the kessils just didnt cut it all his sps started to brown out...

Fish76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kessils Rock! I like how they're compact and pretty powerful for their size. Being able to control it via my Aprx is a plus.

OP
OP
AquariGod

AquariGod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont use them but a friend of mine bought a few A360WEs, took them off his tank after a weeks use and put the chinese fixtures (gbgreensun d120) back over his tank. the kessils just didnt cut it all his sps started to brown out...

He either didn't give them enough time to acclimate, didn't put enough up, or should have used the narrow versions. They're proven to work for SPS, I've seen multiple reefs with hundreds of dollars in acropora with a few A360W's over their tanks (75g, 55g, 52g,40g breeder)

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO kessils are a good LED for SPS (from the results I've seen) but you'll need more of them than you think for full coverage in an SPS dominated tank.

OP
OP
AquariGod

AquariGod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO kessils are a good LED for SPS (from the results I've seen) but you'll need more of them than you think for full coverage in an SPS dominated tank.

True. For a smaller tank or a few SPS a little higher in the tank one or two will work. Anything above a 75g I would recommend adding more, or adding a base light to give full coverage such as a dual bulb T5 over your tank. Personally, some of the best tanks I've ever seen combine T5 and LED. With LEDs
( especially Kessils ) you get the shimmer, and adjustable spectrum. With T5's you get the strong base light, and coverage, plus they usually penetrate farther as well.

billwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got (2) A360W over my 90g with (2) Blue Plus T5 for whatever. Here's my progression to get there:
1. Ran (3) VHO bulbs for 15 years or so. Couldn't grow SPS. Lots of mediocre softies and LPS. Wanted to go to next level
2. I ran (2) 250W Radium MH, which grew my SPS like crazy, for about a year. I progressed to an SPS dominated tank, with great growth, within a year. Couldn't handle the heat.
3. (2) Evergrow IT2040's, which grew my SPS a little slower once I figured out the right intensity (max about 80%), but still grew SPS quite well. Ran these for a year. Still have one over my IM Nuvo16, and it's growing SPS like crazy. I didn't like the specific color spots down through the rock with such large bulb spread. I was jonesing on my tank through the winter and wanted to try something new. Had a hard time not frying chalices and brains though. they literally had to be under rocks in complete shade.
4. (2) Kessil a360W with (2) T5 blue Plus. Been running these for 9 months now. I'd say my SPS are growing slightly slower, but the colors of the corals and the colors in the tank are spectacular.I say slower growth, but I just looked at my tank log and see that some of my frags have tripled or quadrupled in size since May. The color spectrum they put out is beautiful, and I recommend them.

My club has a par meter, and I took some measurements with both the Evergrow and the Kessil. The Evergrow was pretty high Par with upwards of 600 in top 4" down to 300 or so down on sandbed. The Kessil is about 350 4" down and around 130 or so on sandbed. The Wide does an amazing job of spreading the Par. This was in a 48" wide 90G tank, 24" tall.

Mattyice008

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put a 360w on my nuvo 16. Controller coming in later in the week. Looking good so far, but I have intensity on like 75-85% right now. Still playing with it..fixture is about 1 foot from surface. Tank is 12in wide(4 in sump), 24in long, 12in tall

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the look of the kessil and want an a150 but for $220 you don't get a lot. You can't control it or dim it without buying more equipment, All of which cost a bit of money. It's hard for me to justify buying one when you can get lights like reef breeders and reef radiance for the same cost with more perks. If I ever found an a150 for cheap I would probably get it. Also I am looking forward to the a160, which I hear is a little better

Last edited:

kidtango

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to agree running more 360W especially over a larger tank. They are way to dim if you run less units than needed for your tank size. I am currently running 2 kessils 360W to supplement two 4 bulb ATI fixtures. I have the kessils in the middle of the two ATI fixtures. This is pretty what you would get if you go with the hybrid.

I agreed 100% on the shimmer. Before this, I was using two GHL Mitras (which I have for sale btw so PM me!) The shimmer is amazing comparing to the GHL Mitras or any other LED fixtures out there. It is as close to sunlight as you can get right now.

My tank is 60L35W21H. I would need at least 6 Kessils to light up the whole tank. I think 8 wouldn't be overkill either. I think that would be perfect for my setup. I may add 1 more unit to get better coverage when only the LEDs are on. The T5s are just overpowering and bright. :)

Kid

ermartin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 360we's are currently sitting on a a shelf collecting dust. I have been using LED's for years having migrated off of MH. I actually have 5 kessil 150's over my 2 other tanks and love them to death. but the 350's were a nightmare for me and have since went back to my AI sol's over my 90. My first issue was the shadowing since all of the light comes from such a narrow source the way my rock is configured I lost a lot available places to mount coral My bigger issue was after a long acclimation period my SPS all deteriorated and had to be moved or died. After 5 months of despair with the 360's I put my AI's back on my tank let everything settle for about another 30 days and started adding the SPS back to the tank and ALL is well again.... Other than I am back to FRAGS rather than the nice colonies I had previously.... But time will fix that.

Last edited:

diegomac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi today i contacted Yujia Zhao from Kessil Lighting . im setting a fish and reef tank 180 g 72*24*24. and they recommended me three A360WE Tuna Blues.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 62 39.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back