My Magnificent Sea Anemone Journey....

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man....lol. Thanks, but i can assure im just a normal reefer trying to right by the animals i keep. Thank you very much for the compliment.
Nah, you are skilled. And glad the mag is doing good. They are my favorite type of nem and glad to see others caring for them like I do.

Maxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good man!
Glad to see your anemone is healthy and happy!

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Family! It's been a while. Dealing with life and my reef. This update includes good news and bad news.

The Good:
I finally beat cyano...finally. It's been months dealing with it and i didnt want to use chemicals to get rid of it based on past experience. My Purple Mag is doing great and its HUGE! The last update it was big (may not appear so based on the pix and video) This anemone is nearly 18 inches..... My remaining corals rewarded me by producing some of the most amazing colors i've seen yet (Stay tuned, will post on build thread)... a great motivator for sure! now to the bad....

The bad:
I introduced a frag that had a bacterial infection... that literally jumped from colony to colony wiping out a lot of my corals i had for years. That was painful. Interestingly enough... the colonies with acro crabs were not impacted... but most others were. Either STN completely or some of the branches.... the remaining ones are recovering.... i think

Last edited:

sprungson

Anemone Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Family! It's been a while. Dealing with life and my reef. This update includes good news and bad news.

The Good:
I finally beat cyano...finally. It's been months dealing with it and i didnt want to use chemicals to get rid of it based on past experience. My Purple Mag is doing great and its HUGE! The last update it was big (may not appear so based on the pix and video) This anemone is nearly 18 inches..... My remaining corals rewarded me by producing some of the most amazing colors i've seen yet (Stay tuned, will post on build thread)... a great motivator for sure! now to the bad....

The bad:
I introduced a frag that had a bacterial infection... that literally jumped from colony to colony wiping out a lot of my corals i had for years. That was painful. Interestingly enough... the colonies with acro crabs were not impacted... but most others were. Either STN completely or some of the branches.... the remaining ones are recovering.... i think

I've had success dosing my entire tank 3 times with Cipro. Could be expensive but worth it if you're about to lose large colonies. I have a 140 gal tank so I dosed 7 pills a night for 7 days and turned off my skimmer, algae reactor, and reef mat at night. I don't do any water changes.

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had success dosing my entire tank 3 times with Cipro. Could be expensive but worth it if you're about to lose large colonies. I have a 140 gal tank so I dosed 7 pills a night for 7 days and turned off my skimmer, algae reactor, and reef mat at night. I don't do any water changes.
Thanks brother... unfortunately the damage is done.

Maxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using a specific phyto cultivation kit?
What all is involved in culturing phytoplankton? How much time daily do you need to devote to the phyto culture(s)?

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using a specific phyto cultivation kit?
What all is involved in culturing phytoplankton? How much time daily do you need to devote to the phyto culture(s)?
@Maxx !! Whats up brother! I was really nervous about the very questions you ask. Its super duper easy....and my reef so far is doing amazing with the daily addition.

I bought a kit online.... added the live cultures with fresh brackish water (i do this to minimize salinity spikes) 1.014, add a little fertilizer and sit it in my window (natural light ftw) near the tank....wait 5-7 days based on how dark it is... i harvest 2/3 and add more water and repeat. I have so much of this stuff now that i will prolly start giving it away. Last point... i think this has more to do with the freshness vs. anything else, but i feel like the quality is better as well....pod population has exploded!

The kit is a very popular one on amazon... only other expense was a very small airpump... thats it!

The mag is soooo big... i havent directly fed it in months... this is a 300 gallon system guys 6 foot long just to give you an idea..

Last edited:

Maxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Maxx !! Whats up brother! I was really nervous about the very questions you ask. Its super duper easy....and my reef so far is doing amazing with the daily addition.

I bought a kit online.... added the live cultures with fresh brackish water (i do this to minimize salinity spikes) 1.014, add a little fertilizer and sit it in my window (natural light ftw) near the tank....wait 5-7 days based on how dark it is... i harvest 2/3 and add more water and repeat. I have so much of this stuff now that i will prolly start giving it away. Last point... i think this has more to do with the freshness vs. anything else, but i feel like the quality is better as well....pod population has exploded!

The kit is a very popular one on amazon... only other expense was a very small airpump... thats it!

The mag is soooo big... i havent directly fed it in months... this is a 300 gallon system guys 6 foot long just to give you an idea..
I didnt see a single clownfish in that mop...
Do you even Clown, Bro???

ETA - What phyto kit are you using?

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didnt see a single clownfish in that mop...
Do you even Clown, Bro???

ETA - What phyto kit are you using?
Lol yeah bro i still have the same clownfish, they breed every week or so....they were on the other side of the mop prepping the area to lay their eggs.

This is the kit i got

Last edited:

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 22 34.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 21 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.2%
Back