My Magnificent Sea Anemone Journey....

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Family Time!!

That's one happy anemone right there. All they need is light and flow. How many fish are in the tank with it?

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wide... but yeah its very big

Oh great! I have a big spot on top of a cave that I left about 10 inches of height. Can fit the width but thought you were replying with 30 inches tall =)

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Good day reefing family. I decided to do something a little different. I replaced my family of Ocellaris clowns, with clowns that arent as common. I decided to go with Maldives Clownfish, i have a family of 5. They are extremely timid thus far, and I hope to get them colored up over time with feedings.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a pair for a long time (tank issue killed most fish and these guys too.) They get very territorial as most clowns. Mine were gorgeous and loved the leather and clams.

Attachments

• DSC_3673.JPG
    DSC_3673.JPG
    195.9 KB · Views: 36
OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a pair for a long time (tank issue killed most fish and these guys too.) They get very territorial as most clowns. Mine were gorgeous and loved the leather and clams.
Beautiful!! Im hoping my either colors up and look like yours or the dandelion yellow color....

Where did you get yours from? Ive noticed they are very hard to locate.

xiongsy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Good day reefing family. I decided to do something a little different. I replaced my family of Ocellaris clowns, with clowns that arent as common. I decided to go with Maldives Clownfish, i have a family of 5. They are extremely timid thus far, and I hope to get them colored up over time with feedings.
Didn't realize how gorgeous the Maldive Clowns look! Didn't know much at all about them and did a quick research. Love how the anal and pectoral fins are black that fades to the orange body while the rest of the fins are yellow. Great job! Did you source them via your LFS Houston?

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't realize how gorgeous the Maldive Clowns look! Didn't know much at all about them and did a quick research. Love how the anal and pectoral fins are black that fades to the orange body while the rest of the fins are yellow. Great job! Did you source them via your LFS Houston?

Oh man they are!!! They arent common... at least in the Houston area.... but it appears that to be the case in most places. They don't usually ship well and for clownfish, they are very sensitive. I ordered mine online... they came to me beat up.... nothing against the place i ordered them from.. I just think its the nature of the fish. They arent cheap.... especially for non designer clowns.... although ive never been a fan of the designer variety anyway.

They come in two amazing varieties Dandelion yellow or Burnt orange.... imo you cant go wrong with either!!! I think of the 5, 2 appear to be the yellow while the rest appear to be burnt orange..... hard to tell as they are still coloring up.

I know in nature they are hosted only by Mags...which was another reason why i got them....

Last edited:

xiongsy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man they are!!! They arent common... at least in the Houston area.... but it appears that to be the case in most places. They don't usually ship well and for clownfish, they are very sensitive. I ordered mine online... they came to me beat up.... nothing against the place i ordered them from.. I just think its the nature of the fish. They arent cheap.... especially for non designer clowns.... although ive never been a fan of the designer variety anyway.

They come in two amazing varieties Dandelion yellow or Burnt orange.... imo you cant go wrong with either!!! I think of the 5, 2 appear to be the yellow while the rest appear to be burnt orange..... hard to tell as they are still coloring up.

I know in nature they are hosted only by Mags...which was another reason why i got them....
Big fan of the Dandelion yellows but I agree that you can't go wrong with either. Love how your Mag balls up like that. I hear that's a good sign it is doing well? Does it ball up at the same time during the day/night? What are your nitrate and phosphates levels from your last testing?

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big fan of the Dandelion yellows but I agree that you can't go wrong with either. Love how your Mag balls up like that. I hear that's a good sign it is doing well? Does it ball up at the same time during the day/night? What are your nitrate and phosphates levels from your last testing?
Hey sorry for the delay, yes its a great sign when they ball up... anytime they mimic what is seen in the ocean...its great.

It generally balls up in the evenings before the lights go out.

Phos my goal is around .08 to .15

Nitrates...i like to keep them at 15... great for colors.

I dose both phos and nitrate and use caulerpa to dial it in.

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefing family, i took this last night just after the lights went off. The Maldives clowns, have fallen in love with the Mag. They are still looking rough, however the diet is working. I see signs of better color..etc...not far behind.

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a beautiful reef! The Mag looks great! Well done!

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are those A. nigripes and A. sandaracinos in your tank?
Nice tank and anemones.
Yes sir! I switched out the family of Ocellaris for Maldives clown fish.... and of course you would catch that..... i was shocked on Reddit by the number of people who thought they were Tomato clown fish! Wanted something not so common....

Thanks again :flushed-face::D:p

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 108 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 9 6.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back