My new SPS Tank

stenopus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is something that is different from your tanks vs others. Ie the current consensus is that dry-rock = bad, sps too soon = bad, not enough diversity = bad, zero no3 and po4 = bad, not dosing a million different additives = bad. Yet this proves it wrong. It seems to me we should be able to figure out what it is.

Is it the water source, the lights (you had many tanks with different lights I would guess), the intensity of the lights or something else.

If you're up to it, it would be good with specs on all your previous tanks (big task I know) so we can find the common denominator. Given the simplicity you describe, its likely not much.
for sure, don't believe everything what is published on the internet..

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is some luck, but for sure you are doing something that you don't want to share.. but that is ok :)
no he just keeps it simple, people love to over complicate this HOBBY and if not they think there's some secret, it's just time like anything else that's how you get good at everything, pick up a guitar, day 1 vs year 5 is a big difference! it's no different with the reefing hobby ;)

OP
OP
Roberto Denadai

Roberto Denadai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you said before:
Maybe there is a correlation between the new skimmers generation and dinoflagellates. A lot of people are buying huge skimmers for small tanks. It makes no sense to me. Huge skimmers can rip out everything from water and maybe dinos can take advantage.

And now you are using skimmer for 3000 liter tank?

This skimmer is up to 1500 liter, not 3000. I bought this skimmer 5-7 years ago I think. I didn´t want to buy a new one for this tank, so here we are :face-with-tongue: :face-with-tongue:

In this tank I´m going to feed more, more fish this time, makes sense to me to use a big skimmer. My no3 and po4 are still zero here and no dinos at all.

Cheers

OP
OP
Roberto Denadai

Roberto Denadai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is some luck, but for sure you are doing something that you don't want to share.. but that is ok :)

Secret ? :face-with-tears-of-joy::face-with-tears-of-joy::face-with-tears-of-joy:

Man, there is no secret in this hobby. You can see a lot of tanks from 2000 to 2010 for example, all the guys was doing similar things, the basics were always the same. There is no secret , just patience, dedication and one thing that is very important in this hobby, look at your tank and see if everything is going well or not. Some people just don´t know when their corals are happy or not and make a lot of mistakes.

Cheers

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Secret ? :face-with-tears-of-joy::face-with-tears-of-joy::face-with-tears-of-joy:

Man, there is no secret in this hobby. You can see a lot of tanks from 2000 to 2010 for example, all the guys was doing similar things, the basics were always the same. There is no secret , just patience, dedication and one thing that is very important in this hobby, look at your tank and see if everything is going well or not. Some people just don´t know when their corals are happy or not and make a lot of mistakes.

Cheers
the secret is, that you know what to do when your corals are not happy, right? :)
Plus one of the secrets is, to be pest-free I guess.

stenopus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy the cheapest when I need it. I already use in this tank aquaforest, red sea, tropic marin and reefflowers

Cheers
You can't put acroporas in the tank that is 20 days old with no live rock, just dry, with new fresh water, that is insane and it will not work. If it works for you, than you are hiding what you are doing, thats all. I have done many reef tanks and there is always ugly stage, etc.. but ok maybe you are Hudini... Or you haven't informed here people who are following your work which is very good btw that you have started with rock from another system as well sand and other filtering material from another system etc..

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess who added 5lbs of seachem matrix to their tank? Me!

I call this method: Zeoberto Denavit.

image.jpg

OP
OP
Roberto Denadai

Roberto Denadai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can't put acroporas in the tank that is 20 days old with no live rock, just dry, with new fresh water, that is insane and it will not work. If it works for you, than you are hiding what you are doing, thats all. I have done many reef tanks and there is always ugly stage, etc.. but ok maybe you are Hudini... Or you haven't informed here people who are following your work which is very good btw that you have started with rock from another system as well sand and other filtering material from another system etc..

This was the only tank that I did that. The original idea would use my live rocks from my previous fish-only tank, but the rocks were leaching a lot of PO4, so I bleached them all . I use chaeto in a refugium to uptake nutrients with my dry rocks. If you don´t want to believe there's nothing I can do.

I´m not Hudini, I´m Roberto Denadai ;)

stenopus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was the only tank that I did that. The original idea would use my live rocks from my previous fish-only tank, but the rocks were leaching a lot of PO4, so I bleached them all . I use chaeto in a refugium to uptake nutrients with my dry rocks. If you don´t want to believe there's nothing I can do.

I´m not Hudini, I´m Roberto Denadai ;)

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. But remember, corals are holobiont, when you add corals you are adding a lot of kinds of bacteria in the tank
I believe when we dip our corals it kills are removes a lot of the bacteria living on the tissue. Not sure if you dipped your frags.

So many people are treating their entire systems with Cipro and seeing good results, or what appears to be good results for the short-term. The corals filter a lot of this bacteria, and use it as a food source. To me it makes sense to keep it in there unless you’re loosing corals and you know for sure it’s a pathogen.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 lbs????? I hope you put it in a bag or container so you can rip it out when your corals start burning in about 4-6 weeks.

Biomedia can be great for controlling nutrients, but after a system becomes established and the corals are growing rapidly I find that bio-filtration is not as useful, and only ends up driving your nutrients into the ground. That’s considering the reefer knows how to manage nutrients. At that point I think it’s better to start removing media to find balance. Otherwise you may find yourself continually supplementing nitrogen and phosphorus back to the system to prevent the corals from starving.

With all this new efficient equipment we have available today, all I see is systems being over-filtered constantly. We didn’t see this near as much 10-15 years ago.

On day one some folks already have an auto fleece filter, GAC, GFO, carbon dosing, filter socks, and performing 50% water changes. :) HeHe

Algae is not that bad! Embrace the ugly stage. It fades out as the tank matures with a good CUC.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you like the ZEOvit system. I always wanted to try it, but never did. The whole low nutrient approach utilizing bacteria and nutrition to feed the corals is interesting, but seems dangerous when you start to look at how light some of the corals are. However, looks can be deceiving if the corals are well fed. Beautiful system.

IMG_1552.png

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 lbs????? I hope you put it in a bag or container so you can rip it out when your corals start burning in about 4-6 weeks.
I did put it in a bag in the sump.

@Reefahholic Roberto never used zeovit in that tank. I actually don’t think he ever used zeovit.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did put it in a bag in the sump.

@Reefahholic Roberto never used zeovit in that tank. I actually don’t think he ever used zeovit.

Ok, so just ULN for sure. I’ve tried to run ULN a few times, but I always have a few corals that don’t like it and check out. Since I’ve been running higher nutrients I’ve never lost a single coral. Mr. Reberto has mastered the ULN technique. Very similar approach to Coral Euphoria.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 55 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back