MY OWN DIPPING REGIMEN, WITH IMPORTANT DISCLOSURE AND THE TRUTH ABOUT USING BAYER

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

SeeFu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow tha tpoly lab primer is expensive. 180g makes 4 gallons of dip. i'd use it up in 4 seperate dipping sessions.

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow tha tpoly lab primer is expensive. 180g makes 4 gallons of dip. i'd use it up in 4 seperate dipping sessions.

I make 1 liter at a time its all I typically need, a gallon is overkill for dipping a frag or few frags. That turns into about 14 dips.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Yep, I totally agree. Bit of a sting. I make way smaller batches and it goes a considerably longer for me.

SeeFu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Battlecorals you mentioned that you use a slightly stronger concentration of the expel dip. Would you mind sharing what that concentration is

SeeFu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make 1 liter at a time its all I typically need, a gallon is overkill for dipping a frag or few frags. That turns into about 14 dips.
if your making such a small volume of dip what do you use to keep the water moving? I normally use a small 80gph pump

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Don't want to derail the thread, but can acro crabs be bad?
Some of them are. They tend to eat some of the branches out to make a home. Some just hangout and clean the skin. Have to ID them properly for sure

CCauthers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of them are. They tend to eat some of the branches out to make a home. Some just hangout and clean the skin. Have to ID them properly for sure
Interesting. Is it unheard of to purchase the good ones?

Urban

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Adam,

were you ever able to post a video of your process? How long do you leave the call in the solution? I know that you mix the two, but Primer says five minutes and expel says 10.

Dustin

scotto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone found that CoralRX could be an alternative to Coral Expel? Sadly we cannot get it here in Aus, so I'm searching for the next best thing!

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Has anyone found that CoralRX could be an alternative to Coral Expel? Sadly we cannot get it here in Aus, so I'm searching for the next best thing!

API Melafix is very similar to Expel. Melafix is less concentrated and that is reflected in the price and the dosing instructions.

Both come out equal in cost

Bryn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this thread is worth bringing back up to the top. I think BattleCorals did a very good job in expressing their opinion, and the problem’s associated with using Bayer as a coral dip.

As an owner of a pest control company, I have one concern which I did not notice being addressed, and that is how people dispose of the product after use. Please please do not put down any drain, especially one that drains to a river.

Please read the label for how to dispose of the product after use, or use as directed by the label as a pesticide application around your home.

As I said, I own a pest control company, and also keeps bees, please always read your labels when making any application of a pesticide, and remember, unlike many words in the English language, there is only dead, not deader, like fast and faster, or quicker. What I’m saying is if the label says to use a certain amount, an extra glug is not needed.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Do any of you guys use prazipro? I started using prazi, got to the point where I don't feel comfortable with anything else but prazi. Kills everything nearly instantly, super super harsh on the coral but they manage. Just need to not overdose the dip

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not heard of using Prazi for frags.... i have used Prazi for my DT for fish..... but are we thinking that the Prazi took care of any pests on my sps in my DT.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So, I have been thinking about this more and more lately. With the recent fall of UWC, (ill confess I was not very in tuned to what all was going on there) I am guessing that this last bottle of Expel I have may be my last, witch is definitely unfortunate.

I will have to start experimenting again with some other commercial dips. However, the polyp lab primer is still very effective on its own.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Adam,

Expel and Melafix are the same. I have been using Melafix the for last 2-3 years..........The cost weighs out the same.

The concentrations are different but the main ingredient is Melaleuca

I follow the directions on the bottle for dips.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Adam,

Expel and Melafix are the same. I have been using Melafix the for last 2-3 years..........The cost weighs out the same.

cool this is great to know I really appreciate the input! my dip combo has been so effective I hate the idea of compromising at all on this with something different. will get some melafix for sure

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adam,

Are you using the “marine” formula or the regular Melafix.

I’ve been using Melafix “Marine” for a while now as a dip. It was recommended to me when battling EEFW by a vendor/importer friend of mine. It seems to be easier on my corals than most other dips I’ve used over the years and just as effective.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 26.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back