My skimmer is a jerk. Lets dial it in.

ARAJEA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How dirty does a tank need to be before a skimmer actually skims? Tank has been up for 6 weeks, clowns in for almost a week after their QT. Cycled with ammonia. Little bit of food since. I've had this skimmer at 4 different heights multiple times for multiple days. I've plugged the holes on the thingamajig on the side of the skimmer. I've added a valve to adjust air allowed into the thingamajig. About the only thing I haven't done is my next step which will be a sledgehammer. Skimmer is a reef octopus 150. Ammonia, trite and trate are zeros. Salt is 36. Temp is 77.8 atm. PH is 7.96 but fluctuates to 8.04 (discussion for later). Please help before I lash out irrationally.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How dirty does a tank need to be before a skimmer actually skims? Tank has been up for 6 weeks, clowns in for almost a week after their QT. Cycled with ammonia. Little bit of food since. I've had this skimmer at 4 different heights multiple times for multiple days. I've plugged the holes on the thingamajig on the side of the skimmer. I've added a valve to adjust air allowed into the thingamajig. About the only thing I haven't done is my next step which will be a sledgehammer. Skimmer is a reef octopus 150. Ammonia, trite and trate are zeros. Salt is 36. Temp is 77.8 atm. PH is 7.96 but fluctuates to 8.04 (discussion for later). Please help before I lash out irrationally.
Which ro 150, does it have the varios control, which allows speed adjustment? If so, turn it down.

OP
OP
ARAJEA

ARAJEA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drmantisstoboggan actually just made me realize my issue with that one statement. I've just had an apostrophe. (Without googling name the movie that quote is from and we can be friends).

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn‘t expect much skim from a six week old old 140 gallon system with just two little clowns in it. Give it time. Add more livestock and let the tank mature. Have you even gone through a new tank uglies phase yet?

drmantistoboggan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Highly recommend watching the brs video on dialing in the skimmer. Your tank is new without a lot of gunk yet, you are going to want to decrease the air intake. This will increase contact time the bubbles have with the water and increase them picking up oils. Skimmers also take a while to break in, was it a brand new skimmer?

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 44 47.3%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 21 22.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 22 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.5%
Back