My sons first nano reef 24g aio

salty_dawg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My son is proud of his nano reef he’s working on . It’s a 24g aio lps tank with 2 snowflake clowns . We have some chateo and a stick on fuge light coming for it. He’s feeding his tank frozen reef frenzy mixed with ab+ any pointers for him appreciated he will be reading this thread

D451788B-CFEB-4CC0-9C83-05EF00DF3263.jpeg

OP
OP
salty_dawg

salty_dawg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He got a fuge light for his bday we got it installed just waiting on some pods so he can get his mandarin goby

Attachments

• FE083CD6-2FDB-4BF3-8261-B5DD413E5653.jpeg
    FE083CD6-2FDB-4BF3-8261-B5DD413E5653.jpeg
    126.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 67BBA733-C664-4B88-981F-BF0EB85D8B49.jpeg
    67BBA733-C664-4B88-981F-BF0EB85D8B49.jpeg
    90.8 KB · Views: 33
  • D813BEFF-B473-4EB7-BE15-F6DF4ED85293.jpeg
    D813BEFF-B473-4EB7-BE15-F6DF4ED85293.jpeg
    79.5 KB · Views: 35
OP
OP
salty_dawg

salty_dawg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome looks like great fun together, can't wait till my son is old enough and starts to ask for his own aquarium.
This is an awesome project for you guys! Good job to both of you on the tank, it looks great and is definitely on the right trac
@Timsreef definitely fun what’s awesome is a bunch of local reefers offered him frags for his tank

@bud_rick for sure . What’s cool about it, is the shape he got the tank in . It was trashed had massive gha problem and aptasia . So he is definitely gonna learn about reefing lol. We scrubbed the rocks got most of it off . And we just got some f aptasia we’re gonna Nuke what we see then throw some Bergia in there to take care of the rest

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My son is proud of his nano reef he’s working on . It’s a 24g aio lps tank with 2 snowflake clowns . We have some chateo and a stick on fuge light coming for it. He’s feeding his tank frozen reef frenzy mixed with ab+ any pointers for him appreciated he will be reading this thread

D451788B-CFEB-4CC0-9C83-05EF00DF3263.jpeg
That tank is already looking beautiful!
I can’t think of any help yet other than if he has plans for stocking :)

JZ199

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank looks great! It will definitely teach patience! It's so hard no to rush thing's in this hobby in a world where everyone is so used to instant gratification.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He got a fuge light for his bday we got it installed just waiting on some pods so he can get his mandarin goby
Personally, I wouldn’t go for a mandarin - I’m not totally against dragonets in nano tanks though!
I would recommend a Synchiropus sycorax, the Flame Scooter Blenny. They still require the same work but they are more sustainable in a nano tank. I’d love a pair in my 4’ tank however I don’t know if they’re 100% the fish I want.

OP
OP
salty_dawg

salty_dawg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank looks great! It will definitely teach patience! It's so hard no to rush thing's in this hobby in a world where everyone is so used to instant gratification.
Personally, I wouldn’t go for a mandarin - I’m not totally against dragonets in nano tanks though!
I would recommend a Synchiropus sycorax, the Flame Scooter Blenny. They still require the same work but they are more sustainable in a nano tank. I’d love a pair in my 4’ tank however I don’t know if they’re 100% the fish I want.
@JZ199 totally it’s even hard for me to not tinker lol

@i can’t think why not a mandarin ? They’re not super active swimmers . We seeded it with amphipods and copepods and we’re about to seed the refugium .

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He has his heart set on a nem ‍♂️ .
Anemones can definitely work in this tank size, unfortunately a BTA will spread too quickly to fit in this tank size however two species many seem to not know about are the Mini Maxi Carpet Anemones and the Rock Flower Anemones.
Both come in a range of colours and neither really split. Hopefully I can get a photo of my MMC tomorrow during lights on :)
@JZ199 totally it’s even hard for me to not tinker lol

@i can’t think why not a mandarin ? They’re not super active swimmers . We seeded it with amphipods and copepods and we’re about to seed the refugium .
Mandarin’s specifically feed on 1000’s of copepods daily. They aren’t active swimmers however their diet is what is hard to deal with. If you can seed the tank weekly with pods then you’ll likely be more successful long term. You also ideally need a 1 year old tank to sustain this species.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way, when I say seed weekly I don’t expect buckets of pods weekly, over here in the UK we get bags of pods imported (each bag has atleast 100 pods if not more) and usually every LFS will have them.

bvanfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemones can definitely work in this tank size, unfortunately a BTA will spread too quickly to fit in this tank size however two species many seem to not know about are the Mini Maxi Carpet Anemones and the Rock Flower Anemones.
Both come in a range of colours and neither really split. Hopefully I can get a photo of my MMC tomorrow during lights on :)

Mandarin’s specifically feed on 1000’s of copepods daily. They aren’t active swimmers however their diet is what is hard to deal with. If you can seed the tank weekly with pods then you’ll likely be more successful long term. You also ideally need a 1 year old tank to sustain this species.
Could they not just remove the splits? Or you could do a nem in an acclimation box? I’m adding a nem into a box and seeing how it does and once it’s seems adjusted im going to drop it in

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way, when I say seed weekly I don’t expect buckets of pods weekly, over here in the UK we get bags of pods imported (each bag has atleast 100 pods if not more) and usually every LFS will have them.
how many pods do you think cause i use to add like 40 bags of pods every 2 weeks for my pipefish and he still disappeared

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would love a mandarin in my fluval but it seems the upkeep of pods is just impossible if ur not adding like 20 bags per day

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could they not just remove the splits? Or you could do a nem in an acclimation box? I’m adding a nem into a box and seeing how it does and once it’s seems adjusted im going to drop it in
Coming from a past tank with a BTA, my anemone split what seemed to be every 3-4 weeks, removing the splits was a nightmare. Their feet dig right into the rocks and removing them without damaging them is hard.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how many pods do you think cause i use to add like 40 bags of pods every 2 weeks for my pipefish and he still disappeared
I would say about 40 every two weeks will sustain a Flame Dragonet but for a Mandarin it’ll likely be closer to 100ish.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 66 35.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back