My struggle with Velvet, and Peroxide as a promising tool

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to find a lab near me to bring samples. Christmas time nobody home. !

Make sure they aren't just using a spectrophotometer. A spectrophotometer cannot distinguish between actual CP and (most likely ineffective) metabolites present in the water. A HPLC with UV detection will provide a much more accurate reading.

Hedgedrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure they aren't just using a spectrophotometer. A spectrophotometer cannot distinguish between actual CP and (most likely ineffective) metabolites present in the water. A HPLC with UV detection will provide a much more accurate reading.
Yup. Do i need a sample of tank water without it to compare ? Cause too late lol

Hedgedrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup. Do i need a sample of tank water without it to compare ? Cause too late lol

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nope, but you will need a dry sample of the Chloroquine powder you are using. So they can test that (for comparison) in clean water before testing the sample from your tank.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was final verdict on fishmans product vs diamond ??

Fishman sources from NFP, and their CP has always tested 94-96% pure for me. Diamondback's CP used to contain higher purity (98%), but the last batch I bought from them was only around 90%. So, I've switched to Fishman. All of the meds I have purchased thru Fishman have tested within 5-6% of pharmaceutical grade. Better than Seachem's 70% active ingredients. :confused:

Hedgedrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fishman sources from NFP, and their CP has always tested 94-96% pure for me. Diamondback's CP used to contain higher purity (98%), but the last batch I bought from them was only around 90%. So, I've switched to Fishman. All of the meds I have purchased thru Fishman have tested within 5-6% of pharmaceutical grade. Better than Seachem's 70% active ingredients. :confused:
Ok thx.

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read through the entire thread, several times. Some of the dosage information seems to be conflicting. My brain is swimming. Can someone clarify the H2O2 dosage suggested for a reef vs fish only system in layman terms? I am specifically trying to figure out dosage per gal rather than per liter. Pleasssssse, someone take pity on the mathematically challenged, trying to follow along. LOL

Hedgedrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read through the entire thread, several times. Some of the dosage information seems to be conflicting. My brain is swimming. Can someone clarify the H2O2 dosage suggested for a reef vs fish only system in layman terms? I am specifically trying to figure out dosage per gal rather than per liter. Pleasssssse, someone take pity on the mathematically challenged, trying to follow along. LOL
There are few things going on. Cause in fish only systems they can easily take 1 ml per few gallons. Maybe even 1ml per 2. Gallons. In reef with corals people been staying in the 1 ml per 10 gallons. And its unclear if that concentration does enough except maybe slow it dn. But ill let the doc comment.

Hedgedrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are few things going on. Cause in fish only systems they can easily take 1 ml per few gallons. Maybe even 1ml per 2. Gallons. In reef with corals people been staying in the 1 ml per 10 gallons. And its unclear if that concentration does enough except maybe slow it dn. But ill let the doc comment.
Btw thats the same dose at least twice a day.

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh, and is the 1 ml at 3% strength or the 35% strength? Sorry... I told you I was a dunce when it comes to math.

Do I use the OPs math to figure it out if it's the 35% strength?

Hedgedrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All are assumed 3 per cent. The bath for only 30 mins is 5ml per liter. Or near 20ml per gallon. But then fish needs to go to a sterile qt tank.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, below is purely anecdotal. At this time, my research is mostly centered around using H2O2 as a bath treatment prior to a fish entering QT. To give the fish a better starting point by knocking off the worst pathogens. However, some like to push the boundaries, and I am happy to oblige provided they understand the risks:

Dosing 3% H2O2 in a reef tank: 1 ml per 10 gallons. Repeat every 12 hours for 30 days. Since light breaks H2O2 down, try to time your dosing to minimize light exposure. This dosing schedule has eliminated both velvet & uronema (confirmed). However, I cannot say it will work every single time as not enough testing has been done to confirm repeatability.

P.S. It appears 1 ml per 8 gallons is well tolerated too, but that dosage hasn't been tested as thoroughly as the above. BTW, people already use these doses to eliminate nuisance algae from their DT.

Dosing 3% H2O2 in a FOWLR: It appears 10 ml per gallon is being tolerated by fish only. However, this more aggressive approach has not been as thoroughly tested as the above so use extreme caution. I theorize though that this concentration (75ppm) is fine because all the gas exchange going on inside most DTs will cause the atoms to quickly release their bond, and the H2O2 gets converted into oxygen + water.

More info: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/hydrogen-peroxide.640232/

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh! Finally, things are clicking. If using 35%, I must dilute down to 3% before figuring the dosing. THANK YOU!

As I have a 180 gal FOWLR tank, I was going to dose right in the tank, so no bath, though theoretically...if H2O2 is rendered safe within hours, I could dose higher and do the bath right in the tank. I'd have to worry about losing my cycle, but I have many Marine Pure blocks cycling in other tanks I could throw in the tank if this happens and do partial water changes inbetween doses as needed.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh! Finally, things are clicking. If using 35%, I must dilute down to 3% before figuring the dosing. THANK YOU!

As I have a 180 gal FOWLR tank, I was going to dose right in the tank, so no bath, though theoretically...if H2O2 is rendered safe within hours, I could dose higher and do the bath right in the tank. I'd have to worry about losing my cycle, but I have many Marine Pure blocks cycling in other tanks I could throw in the tank if this happens and do partial water changes inbetween doses as needed.

You must have Perox-Aid. I would probably start with the lower dosage and ramp up if needed. What pathogen(s) do you suspect are in your DT?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 25.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back