My tank cycle question

Wick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I was wondering what everyone thoughts on this. I have a 7t gallon tank that i used dr time one and only and it says to "add fish instantly" so i bought a small clown maybe 3/4 of a inch figuring that dr tims uses the ammonia from the fish. I used dry rock and sand figuring dr Tim's will seed the tank.

Tank started on 4/6/19 and ive been getting the same readings, ammonia betweek 0 to 25ppm. ( hard to get acurate reading from chart) nitrate and nitries 0. I have diatoms in the tank. Did i not start the cycle? Thoughts?
received_2311210992482894.jpeg

RIreefGuy

Salt life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. A tank will cycle with or with out you lol. I hope/assume you mean .25 ppm not 25 for ammonia. Your are certainly on your way but I dont think you are there yet. You added Dr Tim's one and only? That is starter bacteria. The bacteria set up shop and one type converts ammonia to nitrite and another type converts from nitrite to nitrate. Here is a good article that goes in to much more detail: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/cycling-an-aquarium.306554/

At this point I wouldn't really do anything different until you see some nitrates in your tests. Have you been doing water changes? That could explain the low nitrate readings.

Keep us posted!

OP
OP
Wick

Wick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did a 20% water change today! Figured get some nutrients in there. And i will keep everyone posted! Love this forum

BadFish619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll be cycled when ammonia and nitrite hits 0. What test kit are you using? Api test kits read total ammonia so you'll likely always get a reading with it. When cycled you'll have a small reading of nitrate only.

BadFish619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an ammonia badge as my backup like 6 or 7 bucks at ur lfs. I know people use higher tech kits but once my tank was cycled I just say .25 is closer to 0 especially if my badge indicates it at 0. You can also bring ur water into ur lfs as a backup test. Other than that you can spring for like a salifert if you wanted

OP
OP
Wick

Wick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an ammonia badge as my backup like 6 or 7 bucks at ur lfs. I know people use higher tech kits but once my tank was cycled I just say .25 is closer to 0 especially if my badge indicates it at 0. You can also bring ur water into ur lfs as a backup test. Other than that you can spring for like a salifert if you wanted
I have one and should probably use it. How long do they last? Location in tanm doesnt matter?

BadFish619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They say a year. I don't think location matters I have mine on the side up top by the return

RIreefGuy

Salt life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't go crazy on getting a different test kit. Many ppl dont even test for ammonia/no2/no3 once the tank is cycled. I actually do test everything weekly. I have the api kit and have found them to be fine. (Maybe I just got lucky lol) I hold the vial and card right up to the light to get reading.

OP
OP
Wick

Wick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't go crazy on getting a different test kit. Many ppl dont even test for ammonia/no2/no3 once the tank is cycled. I actually do test everything weekly. I have the api kit and have found them to be fine. (Maybe I just got lucky lol) I hold the vial and card right up to the light to get reading.
yea ive been kinda doing that in my bathroom since i always check when its dark outside =( i have my back to the light so i can see the card and vial lol

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 23.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back