My Tank's Out of Whack

Ty.S44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my aquarium running for around three months now (since the beginning of April), and It's a 48"L x 30"W x 30"H or around 190 gallons. I recently just introduced my first batch of coral frags to the tank (mushroom, ricordea, leather, and GSP) and a green BTA alongside a maroon clownfish. This puts my list of current fish at a honey red damselfish, an orange line rabbitfish, a butter hamlet, a rock beauty angelfish, and now a maroon clownfish. They're all roughly the same size at about 3" +/- 0.5". Yes, I understand it seems a little early to be throwing a 'nem into the mix, and it very well could be. However, the anemone actually seems to be doing the best of the new nonfish inhabitants. This prompted me to do the first round of testing my tank has had.

Again, yes, it has been three months since the tank has had its first fish with no tests for anything but ammonia. I always tested a few days before I introduce new livestock to the tank, and never have gotten a reading above zero. I'd also like to mention (I wouldn't really like to, as I'm not proud of it. But I am anyway because this bit of information could be important.) that this tank has never received a water change. My reasoning? Up until now, I've only had fish, so to my knowledge the only parameters that affect them are of course temperature, salinity, and ammonia. Since none of those parameters has fluctuated, I saw no reason to perform a water change. Also, I live in an apartment, so while doable and I will if I must, it's not very convenient.

The state of my livestock is currently good overall. My fish look good. The inverts are also good as far as I can tell. It's of course my corals that are suffering I think. My mushroom and ricordea don't seem to be in too bad of shape. I'm just having a rough time getting them to stay in place. My leather has completely drooped over and lost a lot of color. My GPS looks okay when its polyps are out, but the issue is they're almost never out. My BTA, as previously mentioned, looks okay. It's got a pretty good green coloration going. It's mouth is puckered shut, and the foot doesn't seem to be damaged at all.

Now, here's what I'm sure you all have been waiting to find out, or you just skipped down here in a very understandable fashion. I tested the following parameters, and here's how they came back. Bear in mind, my filtration at the moment is a single 7" filter sock in an otherwise empty sump.
Ammonia - 0
Phosphate - Near 0
Nitrate - 40 ppm
Calcium - 480ppm-500ppm
Magnesium - Roughly 2000ppm (I had to estimate as the test I used didn't go this high. I tested twice and got the same result.)
Alkalinity - 7.7 dkh

If you managed to get through all of this I genuinely applaud you. I know I wrote a lot, but I felt most of it was necessary information. Of course, more information and/or photos of anything are available upon request. I'd appreciate any and all recommendations or diagnosis of any issues I've probably got.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test kit are you using for magnesium? Ideally you want between 1350-1450 magnesium and around 0.05-0.15 phosphates. Your corals may (or may not) benefit from a slightly alkalinity bump to the 8.5dKH range. Keep in mind that your angelfish is "reef safe with caution", which means it may nip on some of your corals (one of my fish - not sure which - has been feasting on two of my leathers).

OP
OP
T

Ty.S44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My test kit for Ca, Alk, and Mg is the Red Sea titration kit. I'm not sure what its exact name is. Then for Ammonia, Phosphate, and Nitrate I used API.

I am aware about the angelfish being reef safe with caution actually. You see, the corals I got were usually ignored by nipping fish, or so I'm told, and fairly inexpensive, so I'm okay with a loss. I bought them as more or less a test for the angelfish.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 18.0%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back