Votes: 143 39.9%

• Total voters

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, you can not test 1x daily or 1x weekly. This is to keep the reagent and water sample from stagnating in the machine tubing and testing chamber.
I don't know how I feel about that, obviously they tested this extensively but I think you could get away with 2 times a day. I hope there isn't a money grab associated.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know how I feel about that, obviously they tested this extensively but I think you could get away with 2 times a day. I hope there isn't a money grab associated.

This has been discussed just about 200x on the trident FAQ, trident videos, etc.

It’s $40 for 2 months of Apex reagent- 480 tests. (240 Alk, 120 Ca, 120Mg).

240 HANNA alk tests costs about $90. Double the price, and that’s doesn’t include Ca or Mg ;).

If you want to compare at doing a single test daily, the apex system is still no more expensive than using conventional test kits. That’s the benefit of using large containers of reagent.

TL,DR: overhashed topic.

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has been discussed just about 200x on the trident FAQ, trident videos, etc.

It’s $40 for 2 months of Apex reagent- 480 tests. (240 Alk, 120 Ca, 120Mg).

240 HANNA alk tests costs about $90.

If you want to compare at a single test daily, it is still no more expensive than using conventional test kits. That’s the benefit of using large containers of reagent.

TL,DR: overhashed topic.
I understand that, my thought is that their claim that the tubes will get stagnant is bogus. Fair, fine I'll understand if you were doing 1 a week but one a day should be sufficient to keep the tubes clear and clean... but hey if the user wants that they should be allowed to do it, and the trident should just remind them to clean the lines regularly. We as the user shouldn't be restricted

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand that, my thought is that their claim that the tubes will get stagnant is bogus. Fair, fine I'll understand if you were doing 1 a week but one a day should be sufficient to keep the tubes clear and clean... but hey if the user wants that they should be allowed to do it, and the trident should just remind them to clean the lines regularly. We as the user shouldn't be restricted

But having zero background information, and conducting apparently zero research (reading/watching explanations of the issue that caused the minimum interval), who are you to claim bogus?

:)

spartanman22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not bogus at all. Any legitimate analytical instrumentation that incorporates any tubing in the apparatus - whether that be in a titration capacity or sample collection system, should have a purge function or continuous flow design. "Stagnant" fluid can lead to biases in sample results. In fact EPA Method 310.2 (approved method for alkalinity titration monitoring in saline waters) requires the samples to be run as soon as possible after collection to prevent degradation. Anaerobic conditions are a known to increase alkalinity by consumption of H+ through denitrification.

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not bogus at all. Any legitimate analytical instrumentation that incorporates any tubing in the apparatus - whether that be in a titration capacity or sample collection system, should have a purge function or continuous flow design. "Stagnant" fluid can lead to biases in sample results. In fact EPA Method 310.2 (approved method for alkalinity titration monitoring in saline waters) requires the samples to be run as soon as possible after collection to prevent degradation. Anaerobic conditions are a known to increase alkalinity by consumption of H+ through denitrification.
So you're saying there is no difference between once a day or 4 times a day? Interesting... User should be able to control it, with grave warning.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you're saying there is no difference between once a day or 4 times a day? Interesting... User should be able to control it, with grave warning.

So you should still be able to drive your car when it’s out of oil too?

Gotta prevent idiots from damaging equipment and then going on a tirade online about the manufacturer :)

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Gotta prevent idiots from damaging equipment and then going on a tirade online about the manufacturer :)
I do love good conversation. I wonder if neptune should have developed a cleaning method that cleaned & air dried the lines somehow.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do love good conversation. I wonder if neptune should have developed a cleaning method that cleaned & air dried the lines somehow.

Maybe. But honestly I see the price point as very fair, as is the minimum testing interval.

To me, the most desirable part of the trident is the enhanced active dosing based on the readings. No longer will I cause a KH spike at night due to constant dosing 24/7. I think the majority of users would agree. Now will I do more than 4 tests a day? Not yet- but i might try it at some point!

spartanman22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No the opposite. Let me preface this by saying I do not have the Trident, yet. But my understanding is that the Trident is designed at a minimum of 4/2/2 to prevent the lines from becoming stagnant and/or crystallizing. In a perfect world the Trident would flush the lines with deionized water to prevent the crystallization issues in the micro tubing. To my knowledge it doesn’t do this, it just purges. So by running a minimum set of samples per day, Neptune is attempting to mitigate the crystallization concerns by keeping the tubing wet so to speak.

U

User1

View Badges

I liked it - but it is a bad analogy. There is nothing to stop someone today from driving without oil, old oil, low oil, etc. Neptune, on the other hand, controlled it by software. I'm glad they did and understand why.

Granted cars have dummy lights but we both know those get ignored :)

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I liked it - but it is a bad analogy. There is nothing to stop someone today from driving without oil, old oil, low oil, etc. Neptune, on the other hand, controlled it by software. I'm glad they did and understand why.

Granted cars have dummy lights but we both know those get ignored :)

My car has once or twice gotten into “Limp mode” when I was fooling around. Keeps it below 20mph when overheated. That is what I was thinking of.

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe. But honestly I see the price point as very fair, as is the minimum testing interval.

To me, the most desirable part of the trident is the enhanced active dosing based on the readings. No longer will I cause a KH spike at night due to constant dosing 24/7. I think the majority of users would agree. Now will I do more than 4 tests a day? Not yet- but i might try it at some point!
I need to get myself an Apex system first ahha.. btw I am not saying I eventually don't want one just curious debating.

U

User1

View Badges

I'm glad they didn't. There has to be a known starting point. They set it based on their testing, then later beta testing.

Like you I think the price point makes sense and is fair when you compare it to testing manually and regent or kit or both refills. Also consider what your time is worth since the trident is automating it which is...saving you time while adding consistency.

U

User1

View Badges
My car has once or twice gotten into “Limp mode” when I was fooling around. Keeps it below 20mph when overheated. That is what I was thinking of.

Yep - I hear you. I used to track my 2015 Mustang GT/PP and would run with the GT350's and other cars. The first year the GT350's came out some people didn't add coolers to the tranny and they would go into limp mode. Talking about frustrated people. Similar debate and argument. Why didn't Ford add coolers, bla bla bla.

Me, I'm like why didn't the owner add coolers if they are tracking their car and know it didn't have them...

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Agree. I’ve read that the unit purges the line anyway before a test so if that’s the case why the requirement?

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree. I’ve read that the unit purges the line anyway before a test so if that’s the case why the requirement?

You should try reading again, my friend.

It purges old water. Not reagent in the line (with causes the issue).

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

During the first part of beta testing, we could basically run the Trident however we wanted to, in terms of frequency of testing and whether each test would be alk only or a triple test.
Based on those tests, the Neptune team determined that 4 alternating tests a day would give consistent and accurate results, whereas random or occasional testing might not.
It's not just a matter of keeping sample and reagent tubes unclogged. Don't forget that the Trident requires no RODI rinse, as some other machines do, which is convenient.
But on the flipside, if residual reagent dries out in a line or in the testing cuvette, this could affect future test results.

Last edited:

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
During the first part of beta testing, we could basically run the Trident however we wanted to, in terms of frequency of testing and whether each test would be alk only or a triple test.
Based on those tests, the Neptune team determined that 4 alternating tests a day would give consistent and accurate results, whereas random or occasional testing might not.
It's not just a matter of keeping sample and reagent tubes unclogged. Don't forget that the Trident requires no RODI rinse, as some other machines do, which is convenient.
But on the flipside, if residual reagent dries out in the testing cuvette, this could affect future test results.
I am curious to see results / concerns after months of casual use by reefers, rather in Neptunes lab.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back