Naso Tang White Splotches

juicemanatx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It appears something happened to this Blonde Naso during shipment. He eats great and acts normal... just has these white splotches on the under belly portion of his body... there are currently no meds in the QT.

They aren't raised so I wouldn't suspect parasite.

f72dcc7b1a11459c1e3ec3c0ced8533e.jpg

His breathing is very normal and calm.

Thoughts. Should I run anti bacterial or just let him heal?

dankreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no humble fish but it looks like bacteria to me . I ran the two Sea Chem meds I think kana and metro ? I'll let someone else chime in

aykwm

Research Addict!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see white spots that might resemble ich, it might be ich+secondary infection.
Since its new fish QT using appropriate method for ich (TTM, copper, CP) and you can use kanaplex or any other wide spectrum for bacterial infection if needed, but I think if its under stress from shipment they will be managed by the fish immune system as it settles and stress reduced. If you chose to treat with antibiotics make sure you do the full course as instructed by the manufacturer (usually 10-14 days).
Best of luck

OP
OP
juicemanatx

juicemanatx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see white spots that might resemble ich, it might be ich+secondary infection.
Since its new fish QT using appropriate method for ich (TTM, copper, CP) and you can use kanaplex or any other wide spectrum for bacterial infection if needed, but I think if its under stress from shipment they will be managed by the fish immune system as it settles and stress reduced. If you chose to treat with antibiotics make sure you do the full course as instructed by the manufacturer (usually 10-14 days).
Best of luck

It doesn't look like ich. My glass on this particular QT is super scratched so my phone keeps focusing on the glass.... annoying...

But yeah it doesn't look like brook, ich, velvet, or flukes. So I would think a burn or stress from shipment. He looked like that in the bag.

dankreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Highly doubtful it's naso stress spots. Most of the time bacteria infections start around the gut area IME. If it was something else most of the fish would be covered imo. Does it look smooth like flour was blotched on him ?

OP
OP
juicemanatx

juicemanatx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Highly doubtful it's naso stress spots. Most of the time bacteria infections start around the gut area IME. If it was something else most of the fish would be covered imo. Does it look smooth like flour was blotched on him ?

It's not his stress spot, I've seen those too the first time I tried to get a pic.

They look smooth. Not raised

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't use antibiotics right now. Wait and see if it worsens. This might heal on its own. Vitamin soaked nori and clean water and low stress will help.

OP
OP
juicemanatx

juicemanatx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't use antibiotics right now. Wait and see if it worsens. This might heal on its own. Vitamin soaked nori and clean water and low stress will help.

No medication is in the tank yet, and it doesn't look horrible. He's very calm and not stressed. I've only had him for 2 days.

Leaving him alone was my thought also.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nasos can be tough to diagnosis, because of their propensity to develop stress spots. But what I'm seeing on your fish looks like something more than just stress spots. Possibly scratch marks, damage inflicted by parasites/worms or even a bacterial infection.

Do the spots ever come & go? Or always remain looking the same way on the fish?

OP
OP
juicemanatx

juicemanatx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nasos can be tough to diagnosis, because of their propensity to develop stress spots. But what I'm seeing on your fish looks like something more than just stress marks. Either scratch marks or a bacterial infection. Do the spots ever come & go? Or always remain looking the same way on the fish?

I don't have a lot of time with him to watch yet as this is only my 2nd day with him. He's from Divers Den, so he's at least been conditioned to Aquarium life a little.

They don't come and go they stay, so their not the stress spots.

They haven't gotten any worse from during acclimation but idk if they're any better as I kept their lights off after acclimation.

dankreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See my thread exactly like this. I posted one almost word for word and pic for pic a while ago with my naso. I've seen his stress spots when I first QT him. They were big and round white covering whole body. Would come when I came into room then go away 20 mins later. Highly doubtful in my opinion scratch marks . Wait and see if they multiply is the answer. My naso had this exact same thing humble diagnosed him with bacterial and I ran kana and metro for the course and it looked better in a couple days never came back swimming in my display currently. I'd run them personally they are totally safe for fish not like copper or something else. I had success running the treatment, then TTM prazi or whatever else your comfortable with . GL I'm outie.

Stress spots

IMG_0144.JPG

IMG_0194.JPG

dankreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait a couple days see what he looks like. If they multiply I'd pull the trigger on the meds. They get bacterial from ich wounds and others so there's a good chance he has both if that's what it is .

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^ I agree. If Kanaplex + Metroplex cleared something similar-looking on @dankreef 's naso, you might wanna do the same for yours.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen this in nasos with flukes. Just fyi. I agree that you should keep antibiotics on hand just in case you end up needing them.

OP
OP
juicemanatx

juicemanatx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey so I took a peek at the picture from Live Aquaria Divers Den... does it look like the white spots are just part of him?

58a58fb4ebbded3aded67bece15c4a9f.png

Back