Need a plummer advice, ROS and noisy pipes

Ineedhelp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a home recently and continued my hobby in it, one thing that is different is whenever I use my ROS my pipes make this awful whining noise. It drives my family crazy to were I only turn it on if I need to or to make a big batch of water when I leave for work. Anyone know how I can fix this awful noise when the water is under pressure?

OP
OP
I

Ineedhelp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I connect it to my hose by the garage, and you can hear the sound throughout the entire inside of the house...

Bluefish9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But it doesnt make the sound when using any other faucet? Only the garden hose line?

Typically, that is usually the result of air in the line. Sometimes that air is caused by a clog or another fixture somewhere in the house that is introducing air. Another thing is pressure... does your RO unit have a pressure gauge on it? What does it read?

OP
OP
I

Ineedhelp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But it doesnt make the sound when using any other faucet? Only the garden hose line?

Typically, that is usually the result of air in the line. Sometimes that air is caused by a clog or another fixture somewhere in the house that is introducing air. Another thing is pressure... does your RO unit have a pressure gauge on it? What does it read?

yes it only makes the sounds when using the hoses outside and when the water is restricted

vedros74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your piping is in the attic you may be able to add some water hammer arrestors at the highest point in the line. They are made to absorb pressure changes and fluctuation in the line. Only other things I can ask is is there a vacuum breaker on your hose spigot?

cshplumber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You probably have a vacuum breaker or anti siphon device on the end of the hose bib. These are code required in some states. I had to take one of mine off because when my wife had insomnia she would water in the courtyard and this howl could be heard throughout the home when she would spray the plants and then squeal or squeak when she released the trigger of the sprayer.
They are supposed to be "locked" in place with a screw through the side so they can't be easily unscrewed. I had to cut mine on the side and split it.

OP
OP
I

Ineedhelp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You probably have a vacuum breaker or anti siphon device on the end of the hose bib. These are code required in some states. I had to take one of mine off because when my wife had insomnia she would water in the courtyard and this howl could be heard throughout the home when she would spray the plants and then squeal or squeak when she released the trigger of the sprayer.
They are supposed to be "locked" in place with a screw through the side so they can't be easily unscrewed. I had to cut mine on the side and split it.

How your describing is exactly my symptoms, I will take a look when I get home... I really hope that is it because its one of the most annoying sounds I have ever heard.

fmp47

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem that was related to the auto-shut off on the RO/DI. It would whine!!! When I turned the faucet off and then back on it stopped.

alyee5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let us know if that works out for you...one of my hose bib's makes such an annoying noise too...kinda like Dory making Whale sounds in Finding Nemo...it does have a siphon breaker on it too...

cshplumber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let us know if that works out for you...one of my hose bib's makes such an annoying noise too...kinda like Dory making Whale sounds in Finding Nemo...it does have a siphon breaker on it too...
LOL! Dory making whale sounds! Awesome!

OP
OP
I

Ineedhelp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

cshplumber, you are my hero, for a year my family has been dealing with that noise... Honestly because of how bad it was I neglected water changes in my tank and it is gone... My family will soon be sitting to eat dinner and at the same time I am make water for my aquarium which I am working to bring back to life... My wife is digitally hugging you... I cannot explain how happy I am... Such a relief!

cshplumber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been plumbing in So Cal for almost 20yrs. Not the 1st time I've run into that issue but it is the 1st time I've fixed it online or heard of it referred to as Dory making whale sounds.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 31.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 17 22.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 20 26.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 15 19.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back