Need basic carpentry help for building my own stand

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I followed those exact plans and it's supporting my 210g.

I'm trying to look back through and see if you have an unresolved questions that I could answer having built one. It was scary not having that center brace at first, but I think the stand is more solid than the rest of my house. If the "Big One" hits, it'll be the only thing left standing.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
skeleton.jpg

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you who used the plan in my OP, how did you finish the bottom of the stand? Did you use a jigsaw to cut a bottom panel? Did you put additional supports on the bottom to hold up the sump? Everyone is being so helpful!

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't nail a bottom or anything in there. The reason this design works is because of the weight distribution from the board placement. Even nailing in what you think would be more support, is changing the distribution to perhaps a joint that wasn't meant to hold the pressure. Does that make sense, how I'm saying it?

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't nail a bottom or anything in there. The reason this design works is because of the weight distribution from the board placement. Even nailing in what you think would be more support, is changing the distribution to perhaps a joint that wasn't meant to hold the pressure. Does that make sense, how I'm saying it?
It does make sense. So I just leave the bottom of the stand open and set up the sump on the floor? It's tile.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is tile too. Tomorrow in the daylight I can crawl around in there and get some pics, if you would like.

tdjma

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does make sense. So I just leave the bottom of the stand open and set up the sump on the floor? It's tile.
What your saying actually doesn't work the way you think the structure is complete adding a floor at the top of bottom cross members will not change the characteristics it just adds a floor and would actually help the lateral stability and keep it square if you build a stand and put plywood on the top and bottom it will actually be easier to level and square .

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What your saying actually doesn't work the way you think the structure is complete adding a floor at the top of bottom cross members will not change the characteristics it just adds a floor and would actually help the lateral stability and keep it square if you build a stand and put plywood on the top and bottom it will actually be easier to level and square .
I'm not sure I understand. I know a floor and top will make it more stable. I'm just trying to figure out how I would make a floor without having to make a lot of jigsaw cuts around the 2x4's, which is way beyond my skill set.

tdjma

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure I understand. I know a floor and top will make it more stable. I'm just trying to figure out how I would make a floor without having to make a lot of jigsaw cuts around the 2x4's, which is way beyond my skill set.
You can rim the inside of it with two by two and put the plywood on top of that

TryingToLearn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can rim the inside of it with two by two and put the plywood on top of that
Do you have anybody that has a circular saw or table saw? If so it would be well worth asking. Would make it much easier especially with 2x4. I used a circular for mine.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a lower frame you just screw 2x2 around the bottom to screw the plywood to
So 2x2's along the floor between the front and back of the stand? Then plywood on top of that? Wouldn't I still have to cut around the 2x4's to make the floor 'sealable'. Sorry for all the questions, but I want to get it right!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back