Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would adding a single oscellaris to this be possible without overstocking and running into serious territory issues?
Maybe but be aware they can be a bit aggressive and firefish are cowards. Either way you need to be wary of jumping and have a lid. Gobies jump a lot especially firefish.

Reef Wizard

tomtheturkey
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well then I’d add the leopard as one of the first fish. Choose either the purple or the yellow tang. Maybe reconsider the convict tang.
Then consider:
  • Foxface which are like tangs but very peaceful
  • Dwarf angel (may eat coral)
  • Genicanthus angel
  • Fairy or flasher wrasse
  • Midas blenny
  • Tilefish
Thank you for your response! I will dive down the rabbit hole again Alice (Slocke) :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

getreefed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe but be aware they can be a bit aggressive and firefish are cowards. Either way you need to be wary of jumping and have a lid. Gobies jump a lot especially firefish.
thank you for the help. firefish were the reason i wanted to get into this hobby and i've heard they are softies and tend to rocket out of tanks from time to time. i've looked into it and i think i'll be doing a diy screen top.

also, i've been getting some conflicting information on the cleaner shrimp in a 20g with coral. some say they outcompete the coral too readily others say its fine as long as you feed the shrimp first. what is your experience or advice on this? secondly, would the sexy shrimp have an impact or be impacted by this as well?

BetteMidler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to finalize a fish list. 40B /w lots of rockwork. Only occupant is a single Greenblotch Parrotfish (Sparisoma atomarium) for about a month. Goal is have at least the following fish added next in the following months:
  • Yellow Watchman Goby/Pistol shrimp pairing
  • Spotted Mandarin
I'm all ears for anything else. The current crazy idea is to stay away from anything that would compete with a Mandarin & eventually add some sort of prognathodes butterflyfish, unless a small CBB would adapt in this size tank. The prognathodes rarely appear in the trade, but are obtainable & stay smallish. Just want something unique swimming about. The Parrotfish is purely utilitarian, it loves the algae, it is just kinda drab looking. Final additions after the Mandarin/Goby additions get established would be:
  • Tailspot Blenny
  • Resplendent Anthias (single)
  • Longnose Atlantic Butterflyfish (prognathodes aculeatus)
No hurry, just running some ideas. This would put me at 6 fish, a couple being around 4" fully grown.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you for the help. firefish were the reason i wanted to get into this hobby and i've heard they are softies and tend to rocket out of tanks from time to time. i've looked into it and i think i'll be doing a diy screen top.

also, i've been getting some conflicting information on the cleaner shrimp in a 20g with coral. some say they outcompete the coral too readily others say its fine as long as you feed the shrimp first. what is your experience or advice on this? secondly, would the sexy shrimp have an impact or be impacted by this as well?
Most people don’t feed their coral but if you do then yes feed your shrimp first.

Katie03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing about a jawfish is they like to have a big burrow. Give it a ton of sand it will be happier but that takes up a lot of your little tank. You can make it from PVC but that may not look pretty to you. If you don’t do that it may just constantly dig and upset your corals by covering them regularly.

My suggestion would be a goby that doesn’t do much digging. Like a clown, neon, yasha, vampire, yellow etc. Avoid the sand sifting gobies.

If you go with the 32 then a basslet or a possum wrasse would be available. In a 16 though 3 fish is about the max unless you add tiny fish.
I’m really wanting something that will burrow into the sand. Would this stocking be unreasonable in a 16g?
-2 Ocellaris Clownfish
-1 Firefish (not 100% set on this)
-1 Orange Spotted Shrimp Goby/Pistol Shrimp Pairing
-CUC
-softies, mushrooms, and some LPS corals

Last edited:

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m really wanting something that will burrow into the sand. Would this stocking be unreasonable in a 16g?
-2 Ocellaris Clownfish
-1 Firefish (not 100% set on this)
-1 Orange Spotted Shrimp Goby/Pistol Shrimp Pairing
-CUC
-softies, mushrooms, and some LPS corals
It is pushing it a bit. You can try but add the firefish before the clowns.

Katie03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is pushing it a bit. You can try but add the firefish before the clowns.
The firefish definitwly doesnt have to be there, just trying to keep all the fish from being orange. Maybe a Hi Fin Red Banded Goby would be a better choice than the orange spotted?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The firefish definitwly doesnt have to be there, just trying to keep all the fish from being orange. Maybe a Hi Fin Red Banded Goby would be a better choice than the orange spotted?
Sure or a dracula or yashs. I think another small goby might work as they wouldn't be competeing with the clowns unlike a firefish which occupies the same tank space. A green or yellow clown goby, a blue neon goby.

GiannisK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find small hermits and snails do a better job than blennies so that’s what I’d drop. The cleaner shrimp is just a fun addition. It might clean your fish but otherwise it’s a just a cool interactive critter. A fire shrimp is similar but a lot shyer.

Oh and both gobies would work. There’s an issue with some gobies that only eat food in the sand and they don’t do well. The diamond is the most common of those. Clown gobies and yellow watchman both are not and are easy.
What if I were to drop the blenny and go for a fire shrimp and a pistol shrimp? Do you think they'd go with a watchman goby?

El Toro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
60g Community tank with Anthias and Chromis needs 2-3 passive, reef-safe, mega-eaters.

The schooling fish wont touch food once it stops floating mid-column. I have a few ideas on reef-safe companions that will devour bits of food from rocks, intakes etc. but looking for input...

Thanks

PS, yes I have Emerald Crabs and Turbo Snails. Looking for fish ideas.

jeffpopple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 42gal Red Sea Reefer with mixed coral, two springer damsels and two clown fish. The current residents have been in the tank about two years. I can't seem to add any other fish as they die, usually in less than a week. However, I just had a flame angel live about six weeks. Water parameters are always good when I get it tested at the LFS. No ammonia, nitrites, Ph dead on, etc. The only thing that I can figure is that the existing fish are bullying the new fish to death. Any suggestions for adding fish or am I going to have to be happy with the four?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great.

I don't know much about pistol shrimp, but they do work together with gobies, right? Is there a specific type of pistol shrimp I should aim for, or any to avoid? Thanks!
Yes, look for gobies with "watchman" or "shrimp" in their name or description. Candy cane and tiger pistol shrimp are the most common and best.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
60g Community tank with Anthias and Chromis needs 2-3 passive, reef-safe, mega-eaters.

The schooling fish wont touch food once it stops floating mid-column. I have a few ideas on reef-safe companions that will devour bits of food from rocks, intakes etc. but looking for input...

Thanks

PS, yes I have Emerald Crabs and Turbo Snails. Looking for fish ideas.
Sand? If yes a Halichoeres wrasse like a yellow, radiant, dusky, etc. Or a leopard wrasse. All need sand. These will be your best bets I think but here are some other options:
  • A dragonet though I'd get captive bred unless you have an older established tank with a ton of copepods
  • Hectors goby
  • basslet like a royal gramma
  • Possum or pink streak wrasse
  • A blenny though not a midas because they are water column blennies
  • Firefish

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 42gal Red Sea Reefer with mixed coral, two springer damsels and two clown fish. The current residents have been in the tank about two years. I can't seem to add any other fish as they die, usually in less than a week. However, I just had a flame angel live about six weeks. Water parameters are always good when I get it tested at the LFS. No ammonia, nitrites, Ph dead on, etc. The only thing that I can figure is that the existing fish are bullying the new fish to death. Any suggestions for adding fish or am I going to have to be happy with the four?
Damsels are bullies and clownfish are also damsels so that is probably your issue. You need something tough. An adult engineer goby should do fine but can make a mess. A dottyback is tough as rock but will add to the aggression. My best suggestion is trying an acclimation box. I use octoaquatics for mine and they work great. Keep the new fish in there for a week and you should see a massive reduction in aggression once the new fish is released.

jeffpopple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Damsels are bullies and clownfish are also damsels so that is probably your issue. You need something tough. An adult engineer goby should do fine but can make a mess. A dottyback is tough as rock but will add to the aggression. My best suggestion is trying an acclimation box. I use octoaquatics for mine and they work great. Keep the new fish in there for a week and you should see a massive reduction in aggression once the new fish is released.
Thanks! I love the name of the acclimation box “The Shu!” What kind of fish would you recommend with the acclimation box?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I love the name of the acclimation box “The Shu!” What kind of fish would you recommend with the acclimation box?
Maybe a basslet, blenny, possum wrasse, goby, a dwarf angelfish.

Look at those categories on liveaquaria and choose from there.

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back