Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have experience with a Longnose Butterfly and LPS? Really looking into the one at my LFS but worried I won't be able to add LPS.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have experience with a Longnose Butterfly and LPS? Really looking into the one at my LFS but worried I won't be able to add LPS.
It depends on the LPS but for the most part are fine with them. The only corals I have had trouble keeping with longnose butterflies were open brains, such as acans and scolys, and dendrophyllia. They were fine with everything else.

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on the LPS but for the most part are fine with them. The only corals I have had trouble keeping with longnose butterflies were open brains, such as acans and scolys, and dendrophyllia. They were fine with everything else.

That's good to hear. I am planning on only Euphoria so I won't be worried[emoji1360]

Cirzuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First following the new tank guides on here to get it cycled well. Then, when you're ready for fish get a Midas blenny for sure. They are hilarious.
Thanks for the reply, I'll look into those, I just set it up today.

Giroux471

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi i have a new reefer 350 from red sea i plan to get hard and soft corals
Here a list of equipement i have
Light:current marine pro 36-48" led
Skimmer: jns cos-1
Pump: lifeguard 3000
Controller: apex new gen
Power head: 2x neptune wav
Sand : fiji pink live aquaria
Rock: 80 lbs marco dry rock

I am looking for idea with stocking for now i got 6x yellow belly damsels

Sorry if my english is not so good i am a french canadian

Jmas4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your english is better then most people. Lol.
I am not sure 6 yellow belly damsels will be compatible. How about you make a list of fish you want then we can help you narrow it down.
Welcome to R2R!

Jmas4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi i have a new reefer 350 from red sea i plan to get hard and soft corals
Here a list of equipement i have
Light:current marine pro 36-48" led
Skimmer: jns cos-1
Pump: lifeguard 3000
Controller: apex new gen
Power head: 2x neptune wav
Sand : fiji pink live aquaria
Rock: 80 lbs marco dry rock

I am looking for idea with stocking for now i got 6x yellow belly damsels

Sorry if my english is not so good i am a french canadian
Your English is better then most people I know lol. How about you make a list of fish you want to keep and we can help you narrow it down.
Welcome to R2R!

Giroux471

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a small list of fish
2x clownfish
1x powder blue tang
6x yellow belly damsels
1x flame angelfish
1x achilles tang if i can get one here
1x bicolore dottyback
1x goby
1x reef safe wrasse
1-2 shrimp
1x mandarin
This is my list for now

Jmas4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 clownfish is good.
Powder blue tang and achilles tang-tank is too small. How about yellow tang, tomini tang, kole eye tang, lavender tang. Mimic tang, or Whitetail bristletooth tang. (Only one tang for a tank this size)
6 damsels. I don't know just be carefull
Bicolor dottyback is good
Goby is good
Flame angel is good
Reef safe wrasse is good
Shrimp is good
Mandarin needs copepods so after your tank matures then you can get one.

Last edited:

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bonjour, Giroux471!

Those damsels may well be just fine - I have three azure (blue with a yellow belly - Chrysiptera hemicyanea - are these the ones you have?) in a 65 gallon tank, and they're pretty compatible. They do chase a bit, but it's all among themselves, and no harm done. So far, anyway . . .

~Bruce

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Giroux, I would not put an Achilles or PBT in that size tank. There's not enough room,they can be really aggressive, and are prone to disease as are all Acanthurus tangs.

Giroux471

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice i am looking for a coral beauty maybe is this a fit ? And what about a good cleaning crew any advice on what to get or not and how many ?

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral beauty and flame could prove to be a challenging introduction. It can be done - I have both in my 65 gallon (the flame does chase the beauty a bit...) - but added them together on the same day that I moved the tank across the room. (The coral beauty was established in the tank, the flame had just gotten out of QT.) I would normally expect to see aggression between the two angelfish.

~Bruce

fenijer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I'm new to the saltwater aquarium world. Currently I have a 20 gal long aquarium with fiji pink sand and 18.5 lb of live rock cycling. Here's what I'm thinking so far for fish but I'm open to suggestions.

Watchman goby/pistol shrimp combo for sure. I love their little grumpy faces (they reminded me of Jeff Dunham's Walter puppet). I will forego anything else for that little yellow goby's health and happiness.

I like clownfish but I don't know if I'm better off with 1 or a pair. If a pair is better and if they are both Ocellaris, could I pair a black & white with a standard orange & white or are they different enough that there will be a turf war? For the safety of other fish and pistol shrimp should I forego an anemone?

Others that I'm considering are firefish or purple firefish, blue/green chromis, blue damsel, the store that I was in recently had a pink spotted blenny with a fantastic personality and in a year or two I was thinking of adding a blue mandarin (I read that they do best in established tanks).

As far as coral, I'm thinking a few zoas and birdnest once all fish except the mandarin are in.

How long should I wait between adding new friends to the tank?

I currently have an empty 5.5 gal tank that had freshwater fish. Is that large enough for a QT if I'm sticking to little fish?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I'm new to the saltwater aquarium world. Currently I have a 20 gal long aquarium with fiji pink sand and 18.5 lb of live rock cycling. Here's what I'm thinking so far for fish but I'm open to suggestions.

Watchman goby/pistol shrimp combo for sure. I love their little grumpy faces (they reminded me of Jeff Dunham's Walter puppet). I will forego anything else for that little yellow goby's health and happiness.

I like clownfish but I don't know if I'm better off with 1 or a pair. If a pair is better and if they are both Ocellaris, could I pair a black & white with a standard orange & white or are they different enough that there will be a turf war? For the safety of other fish and pistol shrimp should I forego an anemone?

Others that I'm considering are firefish or purple firefish, blue/green chromis, blue damsel, the store that I was in recently had a pink spotted blenny with a fantastic personality and in a year or two I was thinking of adding a blue mandarin (I read that they do best in established tanks).

As far as coral, I'm thinking a few zoas and birdnest once all fish except the mandarin are in.

How long should I wait between adding new friends to the tank?

I currently have an empty 5.5 gal tank that had freshwater fish. Is that large enough for a QT if I'm sticking to little fish?
In a 20g tank I would recommend staying at 2-3 fish.

I would recommend only 1 clown rather than a pr in such a small setting. Once a pr start spawning they can get quite territorial.

Even in a well established tank a 20g will be hard-pressed to support a mandarin. Though there are exceptions 40-50g would be the minimum for supporting a mandarin.

Jmas4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a 20g tank I would recommend staying at 2-3 fish.

I would recommend only 1 clown rather than a pr in such a small setting. Once a pr start spawning they can get quite territorial.

Even in a well established tank a 20g will be hard-pressed to support a mandarin. Though there are exceptions 40-50g would be the minimum for supporting a mandarin.
+1

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 19.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 42 51.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.8%
Back