Need help ID-asap sick fish

Michael E.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is this? It literally happened over night. I've noticed my naso has similar spots. But is still eating. Yellow eye is not in hospital tank not doing good at all. Trying to catch Naso.

Hospital is running copper. Need to get anti biotics?

No idea what to do

IMG_4516.JPG

ebushrow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like the kole has a severe bacterial infection, possibly caused by the black ich I see on the naso. Gram negative infections can move faster than velvet and can sometimes be cured if quick action is taken. I would suggest an acriflavin bath on both or all followed by antibiotics asap. Kanaplex, Furan2 and metroplex all together. Follow the dosing directions on each. The whole tank can be treated with prazipro and as long as they don't show any signs of infection, can stay there.

OP
OP
Michael E.

Michael E.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like the kole has a severe bacterial infection, possibly caused by the black ich I see on the naso. Gram negative infections can move faster than velvet and can sometimes be cured if quick action is taken. I would suggest an acriflavin bath on both or all followed by antibiotics asap. Kanaplex, Furan2 and metroplex all together. Follow the dosing directions on each. The whole tank can be treated with prazipro and as long as they don't show any signs of infection, can stay there.

Even with coral in the tank? Or are you talking about the qt tank

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even with coral in the tank? Or are you talking about the qt tank

Prazi is reef safe. You might see issues with feather dusters and/or bristle worms, but I have yet to see anything happen to them during a treatment. Treat the display with prazi... two doses 5-7 days apart with a water change in between. Treat the Kole in QT with the three antibiotics asap after an acryflavin dip if you can get that or ruby reef rally. With or without the dip, get the antibiotics in the water quick.

OP
OP
Michael E.

Michael E.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazi is reef safe. You might see issues with feather dusters and/or bristle worms, but I have yet to see anything happen to them during a treatment. Treat the display with prazi... two doses 5-7 days apart with a water change in between. Treat the Kole in QT with the three antibiotics asap after an acryflavin dip if you can get that or ruby reef rally. With or without the dip, get the antibiotics in the water quick.
The kole was dead within an hour. I was able to catch the naso and get him into QT with all the antibiotics and copper. The other fish dont appear to have any signs of infection yet. Hopefully i can get the naso to recover. Thanks fore the help!

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The kole was dead within an hour. I was able to catch the naso and get him into QT with all the antibiotics and copper. The other fish dont appear to have any signs of infection yet. Hopefully i can get the naso to recover. Thanks fore the help!

I'm very sorry for the Kole Tang. :( But....the naso doesn't need copper, it needs prazipro. Read this for more details Black Ich (turbellarians)
You're very welcome for the help... best of luck.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added prazipro, I just always have copper running in there. Didn't really take the time to water change.

Ok great. Watch for a bacterial bloom with the combo of copper and prazi. If that happens (cloudy water) add extra surface adjitation and do a water change.

OP
OP
Michael E.

Michael E.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok great. Watch for a bacterial bloom with the combo of copper and prazi. If that happens (cloudy water) add extra surface adjitation and do a water change.

Since I didn't have enough prazipro, I had to wait until my lfs opened up. I did finally add it to the dt. About 5tsp total based on estimated 100g of water volume. The added it to my sump. Some of them closed up within about 10 minutes. I would guess that's semi normal?

Also, is it a good idea to do a w/c a few days after the second treatment?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 26 59.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.5%
Back