Need help / opinions on marine velvet issue!

Dylan7huskies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I noticed 2 dead fish in my 20gal nano on Friday. Have 2 clownfish and a blue chromis still alive in my tank, I noticed marine velvet covering the two clowns. I went out and bought “Kick Ich & Rally.” I posted this on this forum and people said I need to quarantine. Today I put all 3 in a 5 gallon tank with copper, filling it with the medicated water from my 20 gallon (worried about mixing the medication?) I have in the 5 gallon an aerator, heater, temp gauge, and the 3 fish. Need opinions on where to go from here?! Thanks I’ll attach some pictures!
C666C2A5-10CA-4A2A-A732-9810B5903DEA.jpeg
F344D10B-304A-463E-84A2-E6336DD6FB9A.jpeg
6AEC86BB-B1DB-4B8D-8FA6-5278D31C194C.jpeg

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A HOB filter with some bottled bacteria will be needed in order to get your nitrifying bacteria up and running. Otherwise, the ammonia build up will kill the fish. I use seachem ammonia alert badges to monitor the ammonia levels. Until the bacteria take hold, you'll need to do water changes.

I've only used CopperSafe which is chelated copper. Cupramine is ionic copper and requires a therapeutic level of 0.50ppm for 30days straight without dropping below that threshold. If you have to do a water change, make sure your new saltwater is already dosed to the 0.5ppm cupramine copper level as well.

Here's a link to a Copper treatment thread with good information...

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freshwater dip the fish and then immediately follow the dip with a 60-90 minute bath in the Ruby Reef Rally. These steps first remove a tremendous number of the velvet parasites from the fish's gills allowing it to breathe better; the second step bathes the fish in RRR which has both antiseptic and antibiotic properties. This second step greatly increases survival rates, even on severely infested fish with velvet. Then 30 days. With Cupramine, the trick is to NOT follow the directions on the bottle. It calls for 2 big doses of Cupramine. It's far better on the fish to do several smaller doses spread out over 48 hours. This is easier on the fish and allows you the luxury of observing for a copper sensitive fish.
Be prepared to dose the copper tank with a wide spectrum antibiotic like Kanaplex or Furan2 if a bacterial infection sets in due to the fish's immune system being suppressed by the copper.

OP
OP
Dylan7huskies

Dylan7huskies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freshwater dip the fish and then immediately follow the dip with a 60-90 minute bath in the Ruby Reef Rally. These steps first remove a tremendous number of the velvet parasites from the fish's gills allowing it to breathe better; the second step bathes the fish in RRR which has both antiseptic and antibiotic properties. This second step greatly increases survival rates, even on severely infested fish with velvet. Then 30 days. With Cupramine, the trick is to NOT follow the directions on the bottle. It calls for 2 big doses of Cupramine. It's far better on the fish to do several smaller doses spread out over 48 hours. This is easier on the fish and allows you the luxury of observing for a copper sensitive fish.
Be prepared to dose the copper tank with a wide spectrum antibiotic like Kanaplex or Furan2 if a bacterial infection sets in due to the fish's immune system being suppressed by the copper.
How much rally? They were in my main display with rally and kick ich but I took them out and placed them in a 5 gal tank with Cupramine

OP
OP
Dylan7huskies

Dylan7huskies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A HOB filter with some bottled bacteria will be needed in order to get your nitrifying bacteria up and running. Otherwise, the ammonia build up will kill the fish. I use seachem ammonia alert badges to monitor the ammonia levels. Until the bacteria take hold, you'll need to do water changes.

I've only used CopperSafe which is chelated copper. Cupramine is ionic copper and requires a therapeutic level of 0.50ppm for 30days straight without dropping below that threshold. If you have to do a water change, make sure your new saltwater is already dosed to the 0.5ppm cupramine copper level as well.

Here's a link to a Copper treatment thread with good information...

I added water from my main tank. That should be good for bacteria? And I bought Cupramine and added the recommended amount but I’m now reading to not to the recommended amount

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much rally? They were in my main display with rally and kick ich but I took them out and placed them in a 5 gal tank with Cupramine
When using RRR as a bath, you dose at 2/3rds to 1 teaspoon of RRR per gallon of heated and heavily aerated saltwater for 75-90 minutes.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added water from my main tank. That should be good for bacteria? And I bought Cupramine and added the recommended amount but I’m now reading to not to the recommended amount
Nitrifying bacteria are very minimal in the water column... they populate surfaces such as live rock, sand, etc... your water will not have enough bacteria to handle an ammonia spike.

Also, it's best to start a quarantine tank with fresh saltwater. If youth have a water borne disease, it's now also in your quarantine tank.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and how long do you freshwater dip
3-5 minutes in a temperature matched (to your tank) and heavily aerated for 20-30 minutes before doing the dip.

Here's the complete How to do a FW dip, by the one and only Humblefish. It will look scary but it works.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 21 35.0%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 14 23.3%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.3%
Back