Need help placing holes for closed loop!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey guys I am in the process of getting info together for my new tank build. Right now I have Gulf Stream Customs looking into building this dream of mine. It's all pretty much figured out but the closed loop and holes. This is where I need your help.

The tank is 84 long by 36 wide by 24 high..roughly 315g. It will have one large over flow on the outside back of the tank to keep it clean on the inside.

What do you suggest for the closed loop? How many holes, and where would you do it?

Thanks a bunch!

PS. It's braceless and will be starfire glass. :D

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow I never knew I had those options......

Things that make you go HMMMM....:D LOL!

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes I am!! ME NEEDS BIG!!!!

anomie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll definately be following this thread. My new tank is almost done and will have an exteral coast-to-coast overflow. I'm planning on drilling my closed loop holes on the bottom (6) but I'm rethinking that because I worry that if a bulkhead fails that it will all end up on my floor. I didn't really want it along the back orginally because I really wanted a clean look but I'm reconsidering.

patedship

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What sized bulkheads were you thinking of using? And what type of pump this should help up determine how many holes. Also what will the tank mainly keep? SPS high flow? LPS and zoas med flow? Or mixed a mixed reef with flow high in the upper part of the tank and lower in the bottom half?

143gadgets

Mr. Meticulous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PS. It's braceless and will be starfire glass. :D

I wonder where that idea came from... :)

Just messin with you. That's gonna be a sick tank! I wouldn't do a CL though, but that's just my opinion. I would just us a wavebox and some Tunzes.

Pitcom

Not Reef Safe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im in the middle of the same process Rev. My tank dimensions are going to be 120"L x 30" w x 20" h, thats roughly 310 gallons. I had the same questions and have been getting alot of different opinions. I forgot to add Im doing to 1 overflow over the back as well.

KEEPERZ

TOTM March 08'
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rev- take a look at my closed loops, plumbing through the back up high and then plumbing to the bottom with outlets where needed has worked great and if one of my darts springs a leak the water will drop only as far as the highest outlet which is right where the bulkhead enters up high-I have never trusted putting a hole in the bottom of my tank that could leak out every bit of water-closed loops are good at moving detritus out from under the rocks if you were to go BB.

mofrags

stupid and happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would call paul at oceans motions he will design flow systems for you with his wavemakers and they have a forum with build threads will bunches of closed loop plumbing examples. if they have not finished your tank I would looking into external closed loop boxes with screened wall closures it makes for a nice look if you are going to make fixed background reef walls with islands. also think about the new external wavemakers it may cost jsut a little more but will save in pump costs?

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 101 43.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 78 33.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 38 16.4%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.3%
Back