NEED HELP WITH HANGING ATI SUNPOWER!!

30reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all so my ATI sunpower is arriving tomorrow and I want to get over the tank tomorrow or Tuesday. I know when hanging the light you have to know wether there's a joist or drywall. That's the issue, I believe there's no joist over the tank and my home is older so therefore is believe its plaster. I want to mount it from the ceiling not the wall... so what are my options if there's no joist or drywall? Can't mount it?

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hey all so my ATI sunpower is arriving tomorrow and I want to get over the tank tomorrow or Tuesday. I know when hanging the light you have to know wether there's a joist or drywall. That's the issue, I believe there's no joist over the tank and my home is older so therefore is believe its plaster. I want to mount it from the ceiling not the wall... so what are my options if there's no joist or drywall? Can't mount it?
What about the wall behind your tank? Can anchor a shelf above the tank, and hang the fixture this way

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
30reef

30reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sunpower isn't all that heavy (well, my 48" 4 bulb wasn't). I didn't worry about studs, I just used the anchors in the link. They come in various holding capacities.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Cobra-An...-Drive-Screw-in-Anchors-2-Pack-360S/202527098

if its plaster, you actually better off. theres a metal screw insert you can get for lathe and plaster and likely coarse screws. Also spread the support points out wide and or use a plate with several screw points, like this one.
https://www.atgstores.com/hammock-a...ekK5g&ef_id=VX7wxQAABNdu0jFb:20170123031047:s
I got mine from Ikea. I think there were called Sloridrkvyssen danke turgen:rolleyes:

Ok, my light is only the 24 inch 4 bulb. So I'm fine to mount it even if the ceiling is plaster? Is it fine to use the toggle bolt method to mount it?

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your house? The reason I ask is that plaster work is highly variable on the time period it was constructed and the guy who actually did the work. Somewhere in the early fifties they stopped using Lath (the wooden boards in plaster walls and ceilings) and switched to rudimentary wallboard, that is a very thick agregate filled board with a surface smearing of plaster. (Hence why almost all 50's homes have cracks throughout the ceilings) plaster mud on wall board changes differently to environmental conditions causing cracks over time.

I think you will likely be ok with the toggle bolts, just don't hang on the light and swing from it

OP
OP
30reef

30reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your house? The reason I ask is that plaster work is highly variable on the time period it was constructed and the guy who actually did the work. Somewhere in the early fifties they stopped using Lath (the wooden boards in plaster walls and ceilings) and switched to rudimentary wallboard, that is a very thick agregate filled board with a surface smearing of plaster. (Hence why almost all 50's homes have cracks throughout the ceilings) plaster mud on wall board changes differently to environmental conditions causing cracks over time.

I think you will likely be ok with the toggle bolts, just don't hang on the light and swing from it

The house was made sometime in mid to late 1940s. Would this still be fine to use toggles bolts or should I do something else? Just don't want it to fall from the ceiling...

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be ok, the trick is if it has the Lath strips in it, then you need to make sure that you set the toggle bolt through the lath boards. You should be more than ok, as long as the ceiling is still in good condition.

My 60" 8x80watt is hung from my ceiling with their two toggle bolts, and I've just got run of the mill sheetrock ceilings. If mine falls in, I will let you know to worry about yours ;)

OP
OP
30reef

30reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be ok, the trick is if it has the Lath strips in it, then you need to make sure that you set the toggle bolt through the lath boards. You should be more than ok, as long as the ceiling is still in good condition.

My 60" 8x80watt is hung from my ceiling with their two toggle bolts, and I've just got run of the mill sheetrock ceilings. If mine falls in, I will let you know to worry about yours ;)

Your saying you have yours hanging from this?
IMG_4066.JPG

OP
OP
30reef

30reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also know behind the walls(paint) it's not dry wall, its almost made out of a cement feeling/ looking type product. Would that be lath?

Edit: I also noticed if you'd nail into the wall it cracks very easy.

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also know behind the walls(paint) it's not dry wall, its almost made out of a cement feeling/ looking type product. Would that be lath?

Edit: I also noticed if you'd nail into the wall it cracks very easy.

Ok it sounds like you have the rudimentary wallboard that replaced Lath plaster walls. Somewhere during the 1930's that wallboard was invented and started replacing Lath. (You shouldn't have lath behind that, it's highly improbable). Lath was completely phased out of construction sometime in the 1950's. That stuff you have that has the rocks and is like semi solid concrete is what was in my previous home, it typically has a layer of plaster over the surface with texture. Other than being really thick compared to modern drywall, you should be good to go! I'd do like saltyfilmfolks suggested and drill an ample sized pilot hole and make sure it clears the entire thickness, then insert the toggle bolt.

You shouldn't have any problems

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 168 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back