Need help with ID Please

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A got a pair of butterflies that have been in Qt for a week now and this showed up on one of them. Is it an anchor worm or something else? And what would treatment be? Also there are scales on bottom of tank and sides of both fish look pitted. These are the best pictures I could get.
D9B01CE9-E01B-4B34-8024-62FEC5F33AED.jpeg

6CA816F6-3572-4CB6-BA3F-3CE88B6BCCB9.jpeg

scales on bottom of tank
03F92C02-9BA6-4157-8012-8FF6547EF2CB.jpeg

OP
OP
MrsBugmaster

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like an injury either from another fish or scraping against a rock. I’d monitor for infection.
The scales on the bottom looks more like standard detritus buildup.
No those are scales on the bottom. They blow around from the power head. Picture just doesn’t show it very well but there is a little bit of sand in the middle of all the scales

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No those are scales on the bottom. They blow around from the power head. Picture just doesn’t show it very well but there is a little bit of sand in the middle of all the scales
Were the 'pits' there from the start - or did they develop after they were in the tank. It could be fighting between the 2 fish - or damage from shipping. These in my opinion would be the most likely - as already said.

Agree with watching carefully for infection. However, an underlying infection and/or water quality can also cause scale loss. How long were they shipped? Is your water quality excellent in their tank? Any medications you're using?

FYI - sometimes keeping 2 butterflies of the same size/type can be problematic (though sometimes they get along fine). When I had semilarvatus, they constantly bullied eachotehr. They look to me like both are pretty small?

OP
OP
MrsBugmaster

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were the 'pits' there from the start - or did they develop after they were in the tank. It could be fighting between the 2 fish - or damage from shipping. These in my opinion would be the most likely - as already said.

Agree with watching carefully for infection. However, an underlying infection and/or water quality can also cause scale loss. How long were they shipped? Is your water quality excellent in their tank? Any medications you're using?

FYI - sometimes keeping 2 butterflies of the same size/type can be problematic (though sometimes they get along fine). When I had semilarvatus, they constantly bullied eachotehr. They look to me like both are pretty small?
I received them Nov 17th. They are a bonded pair from a pre-quarantined vendor and I have not seen any fighting. They are about 4” in size. They are in a 73 gallon observation tank with sump and skimmer and good water quality. I did not notice any of the pits when they first arrived.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I received them Nov 17th. They are a bonded pair from a pre-quarantined vendor and I have not seen any fighting. They are about 4” in size. They are in a 73 gallon observation tank with sump and skimmer and good water quality. I did not notice any of the pits when they first arrived.
OK - so no medications now then? As @vetteguy53081 has said in the past - its often difficult to see aggression when standing in front of the tank - you could try standing back for a while (an hour) - and watching - or set up a video? I would check your parameters - ammonia, etc just to make sure. (EDIT - I did not see your post with the parameters) Was the salinity carefully matched when transferring them from whatever shipping container they came in?

I'm not sure I would treat for an underlying illness now - since they have supposedly been treated - do you think things are staying the same, getting worse day to day - and any other symptoms (breathing etc)? Again the most common cause would be 'trauma' from something.

PS - I'm not sure 4 inch semilarvatus would already be 'bonded'.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
PPS - after looking at the video (it didn't load before) - to me it looks like they are stressed/swimming erratically - and the pattern of scale loss looks like straight lines - like they are quickly swimming against something. Do you know what your vendor used for QT? @Jay Hemdal?

BTW - they are beautiful fish

OP
OP
MrsBugmaster

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PPS - after looking at the video (it didn't load before) - to me it looks like they are stressed/swimming erratically - and the pattern of scale loss looks like straight lines - like they are quickly swimming against something. Do you know what your vendor used for QT? @Jay Hemdal?

If I hide behind the door they are swimming normally and picking at the rock. When they see me they go nuts cause they think they are getting food again. I am not treating them for anything so no meds in the water. I ask vendor what salinity is and match salinity with the water they are shipping in and always check it when they arrive.

Qt process from their website:
AE7ACB72-FC79-4BBC-88A9-9C0EC031437C.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
A got a pair of butterflies that have been in Qt for a week now and this showed up on one of them. Is it an anchor worm or something else? And what would treatment be? Also there are scales on bottom of tank and sides of both fish look pitted. These are the best pictures I could get.
D9B01CE9-E01B-4B34-8024-62FEC5F33AED.jpeg

6CA816F6-3572-4CB6-BA3F-3CE88B6BCCB9.jpeg

scales on bottom of tank
03F92C02-9BA6-4157-8012-8FF6547EF2CB.jpeg

Looking at fish, it looks like a skin tag from possible injury while being netted However butterflies have been known to carry a worm or two with closest being nematode which does not appear as such. IF you want to precautionary treat them, you can dose PraziPro at 80% of recommended dose and maintain Good water quality for one treatment at 8 days and change water and then one more treatment for 8 day period to alleviate chances of any.
Realize quarantined fish are safest purchase but often when shipped, QT fish chances of disease is reduced and not free from getting parasites due to shipping stress, changing temps and delays

OP
OP
MrsBugmaster

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the advice/help everyone. I will be sure to keep water quality good and monitor.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Breathing seems a bit elevated - shallow and fast.
I’m not sure where the scales would have come from - you’d think there would be visible spots on the fish where the scales had been.
Jay

OP
OP
MrsBugmaster

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Breathing seems a bit elevated - shallow and fast.
I’m not sure where the scales would have come from - you’d think there would be visible spots on the fish where the scales had been.
Jay
I have noticed white stringy poo also.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would be the causes of this?

That's a very general symptom and can be caused by gill disease (protozoans or flukes), water quality issues or even elevated water temperature.

What is your quarantine plan for these fish?

Jay

OP
OP
MrsBugmaster

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a very general symptom and can be caused by gill disease (protozoans or flukes), water quality issues or even elevated water temperature.

What is your quarantine plan for these fish?

Jay
Plan since they are pre-quarantined was to monitor for two weeks and then put in 180 gallon display if everything looks good. Treat for whatever if needed.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plan since they are pre-quarantined was to monitor for two weeks and then put in 180 gallon display if everything looks good. Treat for whatever if needed.

Ammonia levels zero in that tank?

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back