Need help with Metal Halide and T5 combo!!

Hypertek99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi i have a 29gal with 250watt Metal halide right now. I just got my icecap 430 in and want to do a MH and T5 combo. The icecap 430 came with waterproof endcaps will it work with the T5 bulbs or is there a different endcap for T5 bulbs. The icecap 430 is brand new and came wired up with 4 endcaps so i'm guessing i can only run 2 T5 bulbs??? Can i run 4 T5 bulbs with this ballast??? Can you guys suggest a good T5 bulb combo for me if i can run 4 bulbs??? If i can't run 4 then suggest me a good combo for 2 bulb setup. The metal halide i have on now is a coralvue 14k.

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow, thats a HECK of alot of light on that size tank. what do you plan to do to cool the tank? cuz i can guaruntee you are going to run the water hot.

what kind of MH ballast?

i know you've already gotten it all, but IMO on that set up, you are better off with a standard electronic ballast for your T5's. the icecap ballast overdrives the T5 bulbs, creating greater output, but also shorter life of the bulbs.

as for the end caps, theres only 2 types of end caps that i know of, ones for VHO's, and ones for T5's. no clue if you can run more than 2 bulbs, but on that size tank i wouldn't...really no need to IMO.

OP
OP
Hypertek99

Hypertek99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it's too much light. I had the 250MH with 150Vho's before. I sold the Vho's but now i miss the day and night effect so i'm going with the T5's

chadfarmer

profilux in the house
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the t5s sold work in the vho sockets but than you run the risk of not being water tight

if it was my tank and house i would just spend the extra money to have the t-5 end caps

also make sure you run a fan in the canopy depending on what size t5s you are going to run. You want to cool the end caps (i burned my hand on a 36 inch t5 ran by a 660 and it scared me so i decide not to use the icecap ballast)

all t5 bulbs will be ran at 80 degrees

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hypertek99

Hypertek99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how many bulbs can i run with the icecap 430?? They tank is 30" long so i guess i need the 24" bulbs???

JGoslee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can run 4 - 24" bulbs with one icecap ballast. Just stagger the bulbs so that they cover the whole 30".

Back