Need help with your aquascape?

jkane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you take those corals off the sand, it will immediately look much better. This will also allow you to move the left structure a bit to the front, creating a more noticeable separation between the 2 structures and increasing the sense of depth.

It will also look more interesting as soon as you place some corals on top of the left structure to make it higher when compared to the right structure.
So you think It would be better to have nothing on the sand?

jkane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you take those corals off the sand, it will immediately look much better. This will also allow you to move the left structure a bit to the front, creating a more noticeable separation between the 2 structures and increasing the sense of depth.

It will also look more interesting as soon as you place some corals on top of the left structure to make it higher when compared to the right structure.
Does anyone have a view on the fan placement? Should it be in the right of the cube? Or is it good on the back wall?

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's another pic to help show you the size and space. The cardboard shows the tank size.
22b6a5910707b3b00c4972e28553bedf.jpg

The things that makes it a bit strange at the moment is that there are different textures and all the branches have roughly the same thickness. I am guessing that will improve a lot once they are covered in corals.

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you think It would be better to have nothing on the sand?

I have no doubt about it. All those euphyllias will get bushier and bushier and as close as the 2 structure are, they will soon look connected.

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an awesome thread idea!!
Heres my first tank... Dont mind the diatoms, its about halfway done cycling. And the heater will eventually be put in the sump.
IMG_6600.JPG
IMG_6596.JPG

First of all, I would make all those rocks sink further into the sand. Right now it looks like the rocks were placed on the sand, it will look better if the rocks seem to emerge from the sand.

The right side arch is unnecessary IMO, the other 2 rocks are very interesting by themselves.

That right structure is a bit too close to the glass.

20180502_172611.jpg

CoralNerd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The things that makes it a bit strange at the moment is that there are different textures and all the branches have roughly the same thickness. I am guessing that will improve a lot once they are covered in corals.
Ha strange lol. Well the texture I may go back in and touch up but like you said after corals grow in that won't be an issue. Coraline, sps growth, the structure will disappear for the most part.

Ariton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where would you recommend to place the mangroves ?

Your idea of the 2 islands will work very well. Make them with very different sizes and shapes and don't make them too high. Leave plenty of space around them and position the smaller one more towards the back. That way you increase the sense of depth.[/QUOTE]

love2surf927

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems very unnatural looking to me, and after reading through this thread I can kind of see why. I’d love some suggestions.

687EE0A9-B1F1-42E4-A8A2-062FC1393A8E.jpeg

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without messing too much with what you have, I suggest breaking it into 2 structures.

If it's not too difficult, then move the left structure a bit to the right.

You can also remove some rock from the extreme left to let that big left island breath more, creating a bit more distance from the glass.

20180503_122359.jpg

stevepaynr84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a couple of suggestions to tryout:

- That canyon is splitting the tank in exactly 2 halves. Could the entrance move a couple of inches to one side? Maybe you could remove a rock.

- It also goes straight to the back. If it creates a diagonal path it will look longer.

- I know it's a tough thing to do, but just yesterday I took my huge Sarcophyton to the store...

- I would make one of the structures noticeable higher than the other, either by using rock or coral.

Hmmmm I was thinking of moving most of the left hand structure to the right hand side and incorporating it into that making it so it comes from the back right hand corner somewhere to the middle of the tank with the large toadstool being lowered and creating an overhang. Trying for a look similar to the edge of a natural reef drop off I guess.

C Abbott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
11e8f6eec8b451d6cc3a6f814111882b.jpg

e8995ca51d528f58afbabadf8a602ac4.jpg
b0dad58dd37c9e3eccb40037a1635e92.jpg

The last is primary viewing angle. Just curios for a little input as I agree with a lot of the OP comments, thanks

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmmm I was thinking of moving most of the left hand structure to the right hand side and incorporating it into that making it so it comes from the back right hand corner somewhere to the middle of the tank with the large toadstool being lowered and creating an overhang. Trying for a look similar to the edge of a natural reef drop off I guess.

Try it and post a photo here.

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
11e8f6eec8b451d6cc3a6f814111882b.jpg

e8995ca51d528f58afbabadf8a602ac4.jpg
b0dad58dd37c9e3eccb40037a1635e92.jpg

The last is primary viewing angle. Just curios for a little input as I agree with a lot of the OP comments, thanks

Looking at all these tanks is a good exercise and after a while it gets easier to see simple ways to improve the layout, because some recipes apply to most tanks.

The first thing I noticed in your tank was the "clutter" in the sand. If you take all that stuff off the sand, it will look much better.

I like what you did with the left side. The right side, not so much.

It normally seems like a good idea to create shelves of rock, because after all, we see it all over the place in the natural reefs - they're platting acroporas most of the time.

But when we do that in our tanks, 90% of the time it looks very artificial.

20180503_231535.jpg

Vero Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20180503_223524.jpg
can I get some help with my scape 72 gal bow front it's been going little over 4 months if I'm counting right

Back