Need ID and treatment plan for these nuisances!

OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For example, if you have a patch like this, then try to scoop it out all at once...
Screenshot_20221021-192738~2.png
Erin, First I appreciate all the help you've provided. I do have another question. Since you advocate physical removal of the dinos how do you feel about cleaning the tank glass. There seems to be a substantial percentage who discourage cleaning the glass to the point one can't see inside. Do you understand the rational behind this and do you advocate it? Thanks again.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Do you dose the Microbacter 7 daily? The bottle instructs weekly for the dose you suggest.
For this situation - Daily
For tank maintenance, yes weekly

By all means feel free to clean the glass

OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks, I'll begin daily additions and will be thrilled to be able to clean my glass. You previously suggested decreased lighting. This is a topic I've seen conflicting opinions on. Some say it doesn't help and blackouts can actually lead to dinos encapsulating and coming back when lights go back on. Of course I understand it is fuel for photosynthetic dinos. For now I've turned my overall intensity down to 10%,(normally 50-60%), and white and red to 10% of that. You didn't mention red so I'm curious about that? Another choice I needed to make was H2O2 or silicates, which again each seem to have their proponents. I'm starting with silicates although I'm not thrilled with now encouraging the diatoms I was hating just a month ago, ugh!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thanks, I'll begin daily additions and will be thrilled to be able to clean my glass. You previously suggested decreased lighting. This is a topic I've seen conflicting opinions on. Some say it doesn't help and blackouts can actually lead to dinos encapsulating and coming back when lights go back on. Of course I understand it is fuel for photosynthetic dinos. For now I've turned my overall intensity down to 10%,(normally 50-60%), and white and red to 10% of that. You didn't mention red so I'm curious about that? Another choice I needed to make was H2O2 or silicates, which again each seem to have their proponents. I'm starting with silicates although I'm not thrilled with now encouraging the diatoms I was hating just a month ago, ugh!
Light is a food source as these are flagellates.

OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Light is a food source as these are flagellates.
Do you think I'm doing enough with my lighting? What about the red spectrum, is it as important as white to restrict? I worry about my fish with a blackout, just recently made my final additions of fish with a Biota Yellow and a ravenous White Tail Tang. Seems it would be a major stressor for them and not sure how you feed the fish during a blackout?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Do you think I'm doing enough with my lighting? What about the red spectrum, is it as important as white to restrict? I worry about my fish with a blackout, just recently made my final additions of fish with a Biota Yellow and a ravenous White Tail Tang. Seems it would be a major stressor for them and not sure how you feed the fish during a blackout?
Fish can endure a blackout very wll as they often do in shipment. They will have ambient light in your room to utilize and eat as they see food very well with no direct light. Red same as whie as it promotes algae
Its more of a lights off than a blackout

OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish can endure a blackout very wll as they often do in shipment. They will have ambient light in your room to utilize and eat as they see food very well with no direct light. Red same as whie as it promotes algae
Its more of a lights off than a blackout
So you're not advocating the whole wrapping the tank in cardboard thing?

NoohpyT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ostreo dino
Prepare by starting with a water change and blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles.
Turn lights off (at least white and run blue at 10-15% IF you have light dependant corals) for 5 days and at night dose 1ml of 3% hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights. If you dont have light dependent coral- turn all lights off.
During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria (such as bacter 7 or XLM) per 10 gallons.
Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX as it is food for dinos.
Day 5,, you can start with blue lights - ramping up and work your white lights up slowly
I followed what vetteguy said a while back on a different post, worked like a charm

no matter what anyone else said, this right here is what helped me beat dinos

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Back