Need input on how to treat new tank set up...

ProfitOfDoom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of you may have read a few of my earlier post's,but if you havent the story is the wife and I wanted to try to get into saltwater,was planning on starting from the begining,small and slow. Well long story short we ran into a deal that we couldn't pass up and ended up with a Full set up,from skimmers,to a mp40 power head,to a RODI unit,ATO,apex unit ,and the fish and live rocks that came with it.

So here we almost a week in,and so far so good.Researching and learning as we go just trying to do the best we can in this situation. Just put the fish into the 75 gallon tank about 2 days ago,the water is pretty much new as of yesterday and no signs of problems yet,but we payed a visit to a LFS and he was very informative but also scared us as we explained what all we did and what we have and he said more than likely we will probably experience problems including live stock dying off within a months time.

We're going to do all we can to keep this from happening,so we had a test kit and ran some tests,some things were high,some were ok. Here is what I came up with...
Salinity was pretty much spot on at about 1.026,were going to keep a close eye on that and make sure the ato isnt feeding too much rodi water in or too little. "we used the red sea salt mix in the blueish bucket"

As of right now the PH is 7.87
Temp is 77.9
Alkalinity was between 13-14 Dkh
Calcium was 720 and that seems very high!?
Nitrates was 5ppm
Phosphates was 0.

We just hooked up the sump area and got the protein skimmer running for about the last 4 hours,so Im told that might help out alot with some things,Before that we just had a penguin 350 biowheel skimmer filter running. We also have a small kobalt power head running all the time,we're going to hook up the mp-40 soon,on a side note with a 75G tank,think the mp40 is all I'll need and ditch the smaller kobalt head?

As far as lighting we pretty much just been using a strip LED light bar and have it on bright during the day and dull blue at night. I did just pick up a set of Radion XR15's but really only had them on today for a few hours,,and advice on timing on those would be great.

But like I said so far so good,fish seem healthy and active,the few corals I do have really to seem to be thriving and doing well,water is clear,but we would like to keep it that way if at all possible.
The guy had us buy this 8oz bottle of quick cycle stuff and said to add it and just hope for the best "$25.00" :( I havent added it yet,I thought I would post pretty much all the info I knew at the moment and maybe some experienced people can give me the input on if a good idea to add this stuff,or to not,,or maybe add that as well as some other things? Any advice would be appreciated,Thanks!

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcium is extremely high. Any corals you'd get would bleach. I would do water changes with salt that isn't for reef tanks just for fish only tanks and try to bring your calcium to 360-420ppm. And your alkalinity is high also so definitely grab fish only salt and do a good 20-40% water change every week. Now for your fish store to say that is kind of a negative thing especially since your new hobbyists. We've all experienced problems it's not so much if it'll happen its when. And now a tank cycle can take up to many weeks and some hobbyists even go into months. It's part of the nitrogen cycle. reason your nitrates are low is probably because your nitrites are high. When first starting up a tank and cycling it your nitrites will be very high and then slowly drop down over the course of a couple of weeks and those nitrites will turn into nitrates. And then you start doing water changes and adding fish. I would suggest buying a cheap nitrite test kit or have your pet store test your nitrites to see if your still in that cycle process. Also do a double check on all your readings because the Red Sea salt that's the blue bucket should only bring up calcium to 420-440ppm so see if your pet store has instant ocean sea salt the purple bag or any other salt that isn't intended for reef tanks. It shouldn't contain any calcium or very little of it so it'll disperse and even out and hopefully lower your calcium and alkalinity if you need any help feel free to just shoot me a message I have time to help a fellow reefer ☺️

OP
OP
ProfitOfDoom

ProfitOfDoom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I brought some water up to my LFS and had him check the calcium/alkalinity and he said it was near perfect,Turned out my testing kit was no good.
Think I should add that bottle of quick cycle,will it be harmful if its not needed?

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I brought some water up to my LFS and had him check the calcium/alkalinity and he said it was near perfect,Turned out my testing kit was no good.
Think I should add that bottle of quick cycle,will it be harmful if its not needed?
That's what I thought. Always double check. No just helps boost up the cycle.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 15.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 64 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.1%
Back