Need tips on resealing my tank

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw the videos by king of DIY and others on using the tape method to get clean lines when resealing my tank. I was wanting to know the best silicone to use for this and if anyone has done this before and has any pointers... Thanks everyone!

vic67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any aquarium safe silicone can be used; Marineland makes some as well as All-Glass, Aqueon and Dap. Make sure you don't cut too deeply when removing the old silicone. You don't want to cut into the silicone that's between the glass. Use rubbing alcohol to clean the joints before applying new silicone and for cleaning up afterwards. GL

OP
OP
john.m.cole3

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And can I do sections of the tank, or does the whole tank need to be done in one sitting

OP
OP
john.m.cole3

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a "best" silicon to be used in your opinion?

Urbanknight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my use and several fiends, we prefer Momentive RTV series silicon. On the tank I just resealed, I used RTV 103 which is the black colored silicon. I have sealed several tanks in one sitting and also have done one in two days.

benapilot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a used 75 that needed a new bead of silicone along the edges. I carefully razored the old stuff, keeping the joints in tact, and cleaned with rubbing alcohol and acetone. I re-sealed with black silicone from Bulk Reef Supply using painters tape to keep the lines straight.

It's been in my garage full of water for three weeks now without problem.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If resealing I would do the whole tank at once. It will make blending the seams together much easier. Just make sure the glass is completely clean of old silicone (silicone bonds very well to glass, but not to itself) and take care in not to cut the seams between the glass panes. Best of luck and take your time.

OP
OP
john.m.cole3

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HOLE LEE COW! I just spent the last 5 hours razor blading and acetone wiping the old silicone off of this old butt 72 gal bowfront. While cleaning her up I noticed this thing was built on Aug 18th, 2005. I found out (after scraping the same areas over and over again) the best technique was to remove the large mass of silicone first, then to wipe the crease with acetone and quickly use a new razor blade to remove the remaining residue. I went through a 10 pack of razor blades and half of a small bottle of acetone. I'm too tired to tape and seal tonight, so I'll post an update when that happens. Thanks for everyone's help! Y'all have a good night.

benapilot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL!! I scraped my silicone off and discovered my aquarium is borderline antique!!

91c4854fa4c8630f561054e93e1f982f.jpg

OP
OP
john.m.cole3

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:confused::oops::eek:

only one more year to go, then the value goes up!... right???

Back