Neptune APEX Reliability (Shocking in my experience!)

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve owned 2ea juniors and 1ea lite unit for years ( since however long Apexes have been out) IMO the pm1’s are junk ...not much love or trust for probes of any Brand...no real issues with anything else

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
source.gif

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has been a ongoing issue ive always had with Neptune. Their warranty is the worst I uave ever dealt with and they are not customer friendly at all. I so want to switch to GHL but I have spent a LOT of money into the neptune and I will never get anything close to it and ive onkt had it for about 10 months. The jr I had worked great. They were like night and day. And the worst thing about it is they dont seem to care and dont care to fix anything.

This was my experience as well. I'd switch out the head unit for a used Classic and get a Doser 2.1. You don't need a controller for the Doser so it's a good "toe in the water" for both hardware and the applications. And since you still have a Classic brain, can take your time switching things out.

Last edited:

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But what if we have?

I was 100% confident in my other choice, Reef Angel just as much as I'm 100% confident on my Apex.

I think you did not read the part where I said "another brand of high end controller"
The Reef Angel is not a Multi thousand dollar controller system platform. Its a budget controller with open source software and very limited hardware expansion.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did stop, but you keep posting about it and messaging me about it. If you want it to stop, stop doing that.
Dude you have got to stop. My message was asking you to stop. Seriously. Stop.

One of you just hit the ignore button please :)
giphy-downsized-large.gif

I had an Apex classic and don't recall any specific issues with it.

I had an Apex 2016 and the skimmer and UV outlets were on a feed mode, they would very rarely not come back on after feed mode expired but Fusion would show them as on. The salinity probe connection could be much more secure, it would occasionally fall out of the head unit. While I'm not a fan of the aesthetics of the Apex equipment, I guess when it's in a cabinet the looks are a non issue.

I currently use a Profilux 4 and have no issues to report.

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The secret sauce that makes people get compelled to buy an Apex is the Marketing and the Fusion software.

Definitely. GHL, for example, has great mobile/web apps. But the main Windows app makes you feel like you've traveled back to 1995 lol Everything is there and there are certainly plenty of options, but I think the old-school look is what scares a few people off. Appears harder than it is.

Marking wise, Neptune does quite well. BRS, for example, has a lot of sway in this hobby. And the Neptune/BRS marriage is quite solid at this point. Certainly understandable from a business perspective, but it does a lot to stifle competition and, in the end, the consumers are the ones who suffer.

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a classic from over a decade ago that is still running my qt systems with no issue.
I have a 2016 Apex running my main system with no issues since it came out.
Only thing I have a problem keeping is pH probes. Either Neptunes or other brands does not make a difference. Cant get more than 6 months out of them but its not a Neptune fault. It's just the chemistry in our tanks and how the pH probe works that it fails so fast.

U

User1

View Badges
I think you did not read the part where I said "another brand of high end controller"
The Reef Angel is not a Multi thousand dollar controller system platform. Its a budget controller with open source software and very limited hardware expansion.

Semantics.

Cost has nothing to do with quality be it high end or low end. You asked about another brand or controller and I respectively answered. Reef Angel is also up there in price once you start using the add ons - just a FYI. It also does things today that GHL or Apex can only dream of because it is open source and supports custom libraries. Real life weather based on geo locations and not set to a known time of off/on as one example. I'm guessing and assuming you have never used the RA otherwise you would know this.

Not everyone who buys GHL or Apex uses the full product line either.

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of you just hit the ignore button please :)
giphy-downsized-large.gif

I had an Apex classic and don't recall any specific issues with it.

I had an Apex 2016 and the skimmer and UV outlets were on a feed mode, they would very rarely not come back on after feed mode expired but Fusion would show them as on. The salinity probe connection could be much more secure, it would occasionally fall out of the head unit. While I'm not a fan of the aesthetics of the Apex equipment, I guess when it's in a cabinet the looks are a non issue.

I currently use a Profilux 4 and have no issues to report.
CDF93AA8-BEEA-4422-90F3-ADC21DB0A811.png

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just one data point, but I had two classics back in the day, and now a 2016 model, with ATK and PM1 and such. I have had no significant failures, ever. (knock on wood). Fusion dropped out a few times last year but I think that was due to internet connectivity in my area. So 10 years of continuous duty with no major issues.

For the price, the gear seems like a solid deal to me, easy to program, easy to set up, cheap insurance. I am an engineer so I am used to coding. I wonder if some folks have issues because they program their units poorly or put them 3 inches from the sump.

I have not tried GHL or others.

Oh I will say the Salinity probe is completely useless. Folks should just not even try that sucker. Other than that things seem to work quite well for me. The power monitoring and such is pretty sweet too.

Good luck to the rest of you!

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely. GHL, for example, has great mobile/web apps. But the main Windows app makes you feel like you've traveled back to 1995 lol Everything is there and there are certainly plenty of options, but I think the old-school look is what scares a few people off. Appears harder than it is.

Marking wise, Neptune does quite well. BRS, for example, has a lot of sway in this hobby. And the Neptune/BRS marriage is quite solid at this point. Certainly understandable from a business perspective, but it does a lot to stifle competition and, in the end, the consumers are the ones who suffer.

Yeah you are spot on in that statement.
Aquatronica has a different philosophy from the other companies. They emphasize doing things from the controller touch screen and that is a thing of beauty. The problem is that their web access is basically a mirrored version of the touch screen, which is under whelming considering what you can do with a PC. The one thing I do like is that they always make sure all the core functions that keep your tank alive are rock solid and the hardware is first rate.

As for BRS, it is a company that gives me totally mixed feelings.
I love their videos up until the point when they try to lead you into buying a product that they are trying to push. I guess fair is fair since the videos are free. I also have an issue with their prices as they are typically a lot more expensive than Marine Depot.

As for the Neptune/BRS marriage it has certainly had a really bad effect in the controller market. Way to many innovative US companies have died an early death due to it. The only big ones to survive are GHL and Aquatronica and the only reason they survived is because they both sell a ridiculous amounts of equipment in Europe and Asia. They look as the US market as secondary and difficult to deal with. Some would say well certainly Marine Depot would balance the scales. Well they don't because Neptune is so big in the USA controller market they can make MD think twice about doing certain things.

vangvace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, there are at least three facilities using APEX for coral spawning research. :D

I think a list of what research/education (not vendors like BRS) facilities use what controller would be a fascinating display of mental gymnastics and rationalization as posters try to undercut each other and write off things for x, y, and z. :D

As for BRS, it is a company that gives me totally mixed feelings.
I love their videos up until the point when they try to lead you into buying a product that they are trying to push. I guess fair is fair since the videos are free. I also have an issue with their prices as they are typically a lot more expensive than Marine Depot.

As for the Neptune/BRS marriage it has certainly had a really bad effect in the controller market. Way to many innovative US companies have died an early death due to it. The only big ones to survive are GHL and Aquatronica and the only reason they survived is because they both sell a ridiculous amounts of equipment in Europe and Asia. They look as the US market as secondary and difficult to deal with. Some would say well certainly Marine Depot would balance the scales. Well they don't because Neptune is so big in the USA controller market they can make MD think twice about doing certain things.

You can very much tell what products BRS marketing is pushing. Sometimes they are better than others with the script. My personal... qualm with the Neptune/BRS marriage has more to do with the Neptune business model and its heavy bias away from the LFS to volume sales outlets.

BedrockIOMC

Never to salty, Just don't go over 35.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just one data point, but I had two classics back in the day, and now a 2016 model, with ATK and PM1 and such. I have had no significant failures, ever. (knock on wood). Fusion dropped out a few times last year but I think that was due to internet connectivity in my area. So 10 years of continuous duty with no major issues.

For the price, the gear seems like a solid deal to me, easy to program, easy to set up, cheap insurance. I am an engineer so I am used to coding. I wonder if some folks have issues because they program their units poorly or put them 3 inches from the sump.

I have not tried GHL or others.

Oh I will say the Salinity probe is completely useless. Folks should just not even try that sucker. Other than that things seem to work quite well for me. The power monitoring and such is pretty sweet too.

Good luck to the rest of you!
Thats a issue I have though, it's not the best insurance. The issues ive had with this nit wirking and that burning out I can not trust what I have. I have started to buy other products to replace or back up the ones I have on my apex and I feel I shouldn't have to do that with the money ive paid for the neptune products. And I am getting products that I can trust cheaper than what I paud for the neptune stuff. I just it is wrong in a lot of ways and I know everyone has not had the same ussues as me but there are a LOT that has. And it seems if they cared and was out to really help they would do something about it instead of taking money and just worring about selling more and more stuff. Fix and make right what they have out there now before moving on. Just my thoughts.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a list of what research/education (not vendors like BRS) facilities use what controller would be a fascinating display of mental gymnastics and rationalization as posters try to undercut each other and write off things for x, y, and z. :D

You can very much tell what products BRS marketing is pushing. Sometimes they are better than others with the script. My personal... qualm with the Neptune/BRS marriage has more to do with the Neptune business model and its heavy bias away from the LFS to volume sales outlets.

I Think research labs can be a real misleading metric. Most of these places have staff and researchers in the facility almost 24/7 and they have expensive testing gear for water quality. It's highly unlikely that something drastic is going to happen within the short window they are left unattended.

The real test to me is if you can leave a Tank unattended for weeks and come back and not see a disaster. About six years ago my Son fell ill and we had to helicopter Evac him to a hospital far from home. The last thing I did before heading into the ambulance was to leave the Dog outside and lock the door and leave the key with a neighbor.

Long story short was thank God my Son recovered. And when I got home with him and the wife my tank had survived three weeks with no one looking after it. The Glass had such a thick coating of algae that even little dots of coralline algae had started to grow all over it and I could see nothing but green!

The first swipe of the mag-float was like like cutting the red wire on a bomb! I expected disaster, but was pleasantly surprised that everything was fine. All the corals and fish looked great. The Auto feeder had probably run out of food a week earlier but the fish did just fine. The second big surprise was the my normally finicky Calc reactor had behaved itself and ran perfectly just with the pH probe and controller guiding it.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Other than Salinity probe, I have a 4 yr old classic and the new 2016 and am Totally trouble free. I have had the 2016 unit on three different tank/transfer- reinstalled on to new tank and it took off from where I left. That's weird.

U

User1

View Badges
I Think research labs can be a real misleading metric. Most of these places have staff and researchers in the facility almost 24/7 and they have expensive testing gear for water quality. It's highly unlikely that something drastic is going to happen within the short window they are left unattended.

I think you are speaking in general terms here again. I do not run a lab. I can't speak for what you do. I do know that staff = money. Doesn't matter if they are volunteers, staff, students, researchers, etc.

I believe the facility near me who does a lot of research in captive breeding is not 24 x 7 which is why they use the apex. Some alerting, a lot of time table manipulation for day, night, and trending of other stats and/or data. So I can only speak for what I believe they do based on my visits there and watching a few of the videos and/or presentations of what the staff there I know virtually.

While they like the product I truthfully believe they tell it like it is. At least that is how I see it. Again - to those that have to make a decision about changing to something else I think it is a difficult one. Money doesn't grow on trees. There is angst, frustration, anger, and a slew of other emotions involved.

It does not mean though that there are not people on the other side of the spectrum. Regardless of the product be it a car, a controller, or a unicycle.

Rich Klein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else concerned by what seems to be horrendous Neptune Apex reliability? My Apex unit has died for the second time in 8 months, last time it took them two weeks to replace, doesn't seem like its going to be any quicker this time! Last time I was too happy that they warranty replaced my sparkling new weeks old unit with a scratched and dirty reconditioned box. They've already had to replace two optical sensors that went rusty in the sump. My Neptune experience to date gives me little confidence, both hardware and support have been very poor.

Going on 3 years without issue. I have my controller, EB8 and all other electronics mounted the wall behind my display and not under the tank in the sump area. Hope I didn't just jinx myself.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 47 46.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 33 32.4%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 15.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.0%
Back