Neptune APEX Reliability (Shocking in my experience!)

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not a apex fan boy by any means.

Been rocking my apex for 10 months now.

I had the WiFi drop out once when I lost power. Had to hold the old reset button and it came right back online.

Had to mix a custom salinity to get my apex probe to read my salinity correctly. Took 5 minutes.

Have to clean my orp probe monthly.

Sometimes the salinity probe cord falls out of its socket.

So honestly, I can’t say anything bad about it. Got it to serve a purpose and it has done that with out issue except the 4 listed.

If that’s the extent of my issues. I’d give it a thumbs up.

AquAttila

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else concerned by what seems to be horrendous Neptune Apex reliability? My Apex unit has died for the second time in 8 months, last time it took them two weeks to replace, doesn't seem like its going to be any quicker this time! Last time I was too happy that they warranty replaced my sparkling new weeks old unit with a scratched and dirty reconditioned box. They've already had to replace two optical sensors that went rusty in the sump. My Neptune experience to date gives me little confidence, both hardware and support have been very poor.

100% agree with you and to be honest I wish I was not this heavily invested in APEX otherwise I would consider another product. The display is junk - this dies constantly and not sure how they can sell such unreliable piece of junk. I also had my EB8 die as well as the controller a few times. Now believe it or not, I have a backup EB8 and controller... most of us have so much money invested in our tanks, and to rely on such unreliable equipment is very scary. I did change my methods based on failure of the EB8 and controller, no longer run return pump on the apex as well as the main heater. I run backup heater and if temp goes below 72 then I have apex programed to turn on outlet ... I do like the Ph and Temp probes to control, but forget about the salinity probe!

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the wifi dropping issues are interesting. When I heard that can be an issue, I just ran a cable to the Apex and never thought about it again - even though the wifi is better now. I know it would be better if it did work all the time for everyone, but the Gods of WIFI don't wanna play ball. I have had internet outages and the Apex worked just fine.

Rick Ginn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had my Apex for a year, the complete package of Apex products. Had 1 ATO sensor fail, called customer service, replaced it in 3 days, great price, runs my tank spot on.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 Apex systems one is almost 4 years old the big system is almost 2 years old. I have not had any problems. Well I did have a flow sensor go out. But They work great for me.

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has been rock solid for 2+ years. Feeder works great, ATK has been reliable, all modules stay connected, trident and dos work perfect. I didn’t like the wavs but other than that I really have been happy.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the wifi dropping issues are interesting. When I heard that can be an issue, I just ran a cable to the Apex and never thought about it again - even though the wifi is better now. I know it would be better if it did work all the time for everyone, but the Gods of WIFI don't wanna play ball. I have had internet outages and the Apex worked just fine.

I would never use WiFi with a controller.
It just adds another layer of potential problems.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone sure is having a rant. This is my second one only because I upgraded. When the 2016 was available early on they had a problem with a chip. I got a bad one, they immediately replaced it. If I had a problem with an update not taking properly, they were on the phone, took over the computer, fixed the problem without hesitation. Good conversation, polite and knowledgeable reps. Of course I had an appointment set up with them. I sold the parts I no longer needed without a problem because they worked and looked brand new. I never installed these within a sump area, always behind the tank on a wall. Mine runs WiFi, reads 100% strength, updates wirelessly, doesn’t skip a beat.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only had a few problems with my Apex gear, running now for 1.5 years. Here's my experience with each module:

Apex 2016 - No problems
EB832 - No problems
EB4 - No problems
WXM - Intermittent wireless problem with my Radions. After moving the WXM closer to the Radions, no problems.
ATK - No problems
DOS (x3) - No problems
FMM - Occasionally stops reading flow sensors. Had to reboot it about 3 times in a year.
PMK - No problems
PM2 - No problems
DDR - Optical sensors failed repeatedly, repaired by Neptune under warranty 3 times in a year. Wouldn't buy this again.
COR20 - Power supply failed after 11 months. Replaced by Neptune under warranty.
WAV - No problems
Trident - No problems

sarcophytonIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else concerned by what seems to be horrendous Neptune Apex reliability? My Apex unit has died for the second time in 8 months, last time it took them two weeks to replace, doesn't seem like its going to be any quicker this time! Last time I was too happy that they warranty replaced my sparkling new weeks old unit with a scratched and dirty reconditioned box. They've already had to replace two optical sensors that went rusty in the sump. My Neptune experience to date gives me little confidence, both hardware and support have been very poor.
My Apex Classic has been flawless for three years. I do have it mounted remotely, away from saltwater exposure.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Semantics.

Cost has nothing to do with quality be it high end or low end. You asked about another brand or controller and I respectively answered.

I respect your answer but you feeling 100% confident in a Reef Angel and Apex does not equate to it being 100% reliable. Let me ask you something that was mentioned on another forum as the comparitive standard with controllers. If your loved one was in the hospital in a serious condition and hooked up to numerous devices like respirators etc. would you want that loved one hooked up to a brand of devices that had a reputation for giving bad readings or parts suddenly dying? Because your fish and corals are pretty much in that same position!

Reef Angel is also up there in price once you start using the add ons - just a FYI. It also does things today that GHL or Apex can only dream of because it is open source and supports custom libraries. Real life weather based on geo locations and not set to a known time of off/on as one example. I'm guessing and assuming you have never used the RA otherwise you would know this.

This argument came up on another forum years ago when one of the companies introduced lightning and storm effects. Yes seasonal changes in temperature and lighting may be natural events but that does not mean they have any noticeable benefit to a reef tank. Most argued that it was just gimmicky. The only good reason one would want to adjust these settings is to induce spawning. In most cases this is not a good thing to happen in a reef tank.
I know! I had two occasions when my corals spawned and let off a crap load of eggs and sperm. It sent my skimmer overflowing and probably kicked the Ammonia and Nitrate levels up. Yes it was cool to see but the after effect was not good.

As for using open source mods. That is the last thing I would want on my controller.
I would have no idea if the programmer introduced some bug that might make the controller spass out under certain conditions that he never tested for.

Not everyone who buys GHL or Apex uses the full product line either.

No they don't but the reason we shell out the initial cash is so that we have the ability to expand our systems later on as needed.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2016 Apex Fusion has been running for 3 years with no issues and I love it and have just purchased another for a new tank along with various modules and the new ATK version 2 (when it arrives)

Have no complaints whatsoever and I love the monitoring and control it provides

I don’t necessarily think you can blame Neptune for all the WiFi issues experienced knowing how unstable it can be sometimes.

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder what is the percentage of Apex failures to number of Apex units sold. Compared to other controllers sold would be? Is the percentage about the same? Just thinking since controllers are exposed to humidiity inside stands.

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I respect your answer but you feeling 100% confident in a Reef Angel and Apex does not equate to it being 100% reliable. Let me ask you something that was mentioned on another forum as the comparitive standard with controllers. If your loved one was in the hospital in a serious condition and hooked up to numerous devices like respirators etc. would you want that loved one hooked up to a brand of devices that had a reputation for giving bad readings or parts suddenly dying? Because your fish and corals are pretty much in that same position!

I don’t think you can fairly compare human life support equipment to aquarium products. No aquarium product or controller is 100% reliable.

Gary Grise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Apex (controller, 2 EB832's, 2 PM2's, PM1, display, WXM) has been running for 2 years 9 months. had some initial issues getting up and running but support eventually fixed. Also overloaded a socket (fixed) on an EB832 so it no longer correctly showed amps, power but support also showed me how to fix.
Only recent issue was an EB832 changing address, I figured that out and fixed. Think that may have been due to solar installation and maybe supply noise during installation.
Been pleased so far. Especially in being able to monitor and change when on trips. I added 4 cameras so I can visually check as well.
About to add an additional EB832. I would like to be add additional IO without the cost of purchasing a PM1 or a PM2. With Apex, I am automating tank so significantly reduced time and hopefully daughters can manage in my absence.

U

User1

View Badges

I'm not 100% sure the direction you are going with this but let me just say that in my opinion it isn't the same thing. Hobby grade controller / monitor be it GHL, RA, or Apex are not built or have the certifications life support systems do. Having said that I believe you are trying to say that one of the mentioned products is better built maybe or has a 100% reliability rate (would not be a true statement). Or that the RA is not in the same ball park which again wouldn't be a fair assessment. Maybe you run Abyzz controllable pumps but I do not(reference due to price and hobby word on quality). We agree on taking care of the animals. We don't agree here so no harm no foul.

This argument came up on another forum years ago when one of the companies introduced lightning and storm effects. Yes seasonal changes in temperature and lighting may be natural events but that does not mean they have any noticeable benefit to a reef tank. Most argued that it was just gimmicky. The only good reason one would want to adjust these settings is to induce spawning. In most cases this is not a good thing to happen in a reef tank.
I know! I had two occasions when my corals spawned and let off a crap load of eggs and sperm. It sent my skimmer overflowing and probably kicked the Ammonia and Nitrate levels up. Yes it was cool to see but the after effect was not good.

It was just an example. There are others such as sunrise, sunset, geo locations, weather, control of wave pumps with patterns to include nutrient transport, etc. Custom libraries allow this to happen if it is the route one wants to go. And yes, I've had my rose bubble tips spawn as well as snails during a couple of these windows in my tank.

As for using open source mods. That is the last thing I would want on my controller.
I would have no idea if the programmer introduced some bug that might make the controller spass out under certain conditions that he never tested for.

Then the RA or a Pi would not be for you. Again, not a big deal. But the reason for bringing it up in the first place was the comment along the lines of "if people didn't use other controllers" or however it was said. People may have. Maybe not. Does it matter and what does that bring to the table?

You have a list of needs. You shop around. You read reviews. You make a purchase. Some people have issues, some do not. Others, the silent majority go unheard. This post does not mean apex is unreliable. My experience with it does not negate what the OP experienced. It does, however, provide a thread in which case I can:

1. Express my experience
2. Express to the other hobbyist any support that I can
3. Wish them nothing but the best experience if they switch products
4. Answer any questions that I may be able to if they ask with regards to Apex

So back to my original point. I've used other controllers. I've used Apex. I've had success with both. Both have been reliable. Per my comment above that does not negate the OP's experience. Since they asked though my answer is no. I've not experienced reliability issues. Even with a 3 x the normal power entering my main circuit breaker panel blowing out 2 refrigerators, AC, Thermostat, toaster, tea pot (what the heck is a Irishman to do with no tea pot!!!), and solar inverter...go figure.

I believe I'm not adding any value to the thread with this post but felt I would answer. I hear you with the care of animals. We agree 100%. The controller part? Meh, probably not. Doesn't mean I wouldn't break bread with you ;)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I have an apex classic - and an apex 2016. The apex classic has worked flawlessly. I find the Apex 2016 completely unreliable (so much so that I sold all my modules - and basically use it as an expensive surge suppressor).

Had 3 failures - one involving a defective chip when I first purchased it (this apparently was a known issue).
The second - after a brief power failure - 3 pieces of equipment shut off and the lights were staying on 24/7 (it was again a chip issue - not a programming issue)
The Third was when we had just gone on vacation - and the EB failed. Both the unit and EB were sent in - and a chip in each needed to be replaced.

That said - I have found the support excellent overall. I wish (maybe they have and I just havent seen it) they would ditch the old 'manual' that is on the first page of their support - and write a manual for the Apex 2016 specifically - the problem - is there is no good 'troubleshooting section' - instead one has to do read hundreds of posts in the 'support forum' - which I also liked - but its extremely inefficient.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I agree that those problems are 'better' - but for those of us who cant run a cable directly from their router - it can be a problem (now its also solved by purchasing a d-link or something like that - but it was disappointing that it stopped working so often (the WIFI portion)

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that those problems are 'better' - but for those of us who cant run a cable directly from their router - it can be a problem (now its also solved by purchasing a d-link or something like that - but it was disappointing that it stopped working so often (the WIFI portion)
Why can't you run a cable?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Why can't you run a cable?
The router is on the first floor - on the south west corner of the house - the tank is in the basement on the north west side and there are heating/cooling ducts and wood floors that preclude getting from one side to the other (without thousands of $ of renovation).

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 62 46.6%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 43 32.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 19 14.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back