New 110 Gal Stock

Rivic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I posted this in a few other forums but figured I would try this one as well.

I’m sure these get posted a lot, so I appreciate the time and consideration.

I have a Red Sea reefer 525 xl tank that’s been up and running for a couple months. It is a 108 gallon DT with a 30 gallon sump. Used dry rock and live sand. Plan to make it a mixed reef with corals that will be suitable for the following fish stock included below. Just throwing this out here to get some feedback on the fish I have selected and some general advice on what corals I can likely keep.

Stocking list:

Fish:

(2) ocellaris snowflake clowns
(1) regal angel
(1) bella goby
(1) multibar angel
(1) blue throat trigger
(1) bicolor Blenny
(1) yellow tang
(1) leopard wrasse

Inverts:

(1) rbt anemone
(10) banded trochus snails
(10) nessarious snails
(3) hawloween hermits

That’s all I have on my list for now. All feedback and/or criticism is appreciated!

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Rivic, I see you posted this a few times as you mentioned under 108 gallon and 110 gallon and people have answered. You got some great points of views and advice from highly respected reefers are you not getting the answers your looking for? Have you considered adjusting your stocking plans accordingly to the advice given and reposting in a thread you already have posted? They can help answer your questions if you focus on the same thread. :)

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/new-stocking-list-for-a-110gal-mixed-reef.465173/#post-5179468

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/new-108g-stocking.465359/

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/new-stocking-list-for-a-110gal-mixed-reef.465173/

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Rivic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Rivic, I see you posted this a few times as you mentioned under 108 gallon and 110 gallon and people have answered. You got some great points of views and advice from highly respected reefers are you not getting the answers your looking for? Have you considered adjusting your stocking plans accordingly to the advice given and reposting in a thread you already have posted? They can help answer your questions if you focus on the same thread. :)

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/new-stocking-list-for-a-110gal-mixed-reef.465173/#post-5179468

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/new-108g-stocking.465359/

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/new-stocking-list-for-a-110gal-mixed-reef.465173/

My apologies I did not realize it was against the rules to post the same thread in multiple forums. Was just trying to cover multiple as the topic seemed to be relative to each.

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries, nobody is angry, just trying to help you get your questions answered. You have a pretty good tread going with some great folks respoding. But the stocking list is the same on your treads. If it were me I would continue to expand on your thread that has the most answers and expand. You don't want several threads hung up on the same stocking list do you? So with the fish they recommend you stear away from, what would your next choice be? These folks love helping and we love seeing you ask questions. :)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
This tank is a very successful designed system for reef keeping and no corals were mentioned. Although not needed will rear these fish nicely. Realize most everything you listed is NOT reef safe and will eat/destroy corals.

OP
OP
R

Rivic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply! Can you please elaborate on most everything not being reef safe? I realize the two angels are to be introduced with caution to a reef but I was under the impression that they usually target specific corals and that many people Keep them successfully in a reef as long as they are fed well. What else is not reef safe?

As I plan to introduce corals after the fish, my idea was to ask the community here what Corals they have kept successfully with the stocking list I mentioned and go from there.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
leopard wrasse and Blue throat (which I have) will flip coral and move them to make a territory or seek an uneaten piece of food ( and that's from experience). Love the trigger colors BUT often ask myself why did I put this in the tank.

OP
OP
R

Rivic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
leopard wrasse and Blue throat (which I have) will flip coral and move them to make a territory or seek an uneaten piece of food ( and that's from experience). Love the trigger colors BUT often ask myself why did I put this in the tank.

Interesting. Would it be possible to either glue the corals down or place them in areas that make this behavior impossible? I definitely plan on adding corals eventually, but am not super picky on which ones at the moment.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Interesting. Would it be possible to either glue the corals down or place them in areas that make this behavior impossible? I definitely plan on adding corals eventually, but am not super picky on which ones at the moment.

Yes you can. I personally like aquastik putty for reef tanks. With aquastik, the trigger has ripped out two frags thus far to make an opening between rocks. He is Very close to getting Evicted from my tank

6126.jpg

OP
OP
R

Rivic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

So as an update I currently have the following fish and inverts:

Fish:

(2) Ocellaris Snowfake Clowns

(1) Regal Angel

(1) Multibar Angel

(1) Female leopard wrasse

(1) Blue throat trigger

(1) Bella goby

Inverts:

(10) Nessarious snails

(9) Banded trochus snails

(2) Scarlet cleaner shrimp

(3) Halloween hermit crabs

The tank and inhabitant all seem to be doing great except the regal is a very picky eater. The only things I have seen him consistently eat are live brine shrimp and clam on the half shell, muscles and oyster. He won’t touch frozen or nori and I have tried several different ones with selco, arctapods, oyster feast you name it. He is getting skinny but is still fairly active and swims all over scanning the rockwork. I’ve tried rubber banding the Nori to the rock but so far no go. Anyone have any recommendations to help get him to eat better?

Also, the only other fish I plan on getting are a bicolor Blenny, a yellow tang, and one more wrasse (lineatus seems awesome). I will also be adding a rose bubble tip that my friend has which recently split. And then it will be time to add coral, plan to go with a variety of soft corals such as mushrooms and toadstool as well as some LPS such as frog spawn and Duncan’s.. will avoid zoas, Acans and chalice type corals as I hear they are on the menu for the regal. If anyone has any advice on additional inhabitant that may fit well I would love to hear it. Also, accepting all criticism I won’t take it personally.

As for further info I have been doing weekly 20% water changes to help with nutrient export for this increase in bioload. I am also running carbon in a media reactor and have the lights running for approx 10 hours a day. I have not tested the water lately but having been getting very good algae growth with some minor diatoms. Algae is mostly green and purple. Water isn’t pristine clear but I think it’s because I’m feeding 2-3 times a day to try and get the regal to eat.

Again, thanks for your time reading and I appreciate any and all feedback.

Princess Hockey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a newb as well, but I also have a 100 gallon tank (115g total system volume) and I have about a bazillion more snails than you, I'm betting the ideal number is probably somewhere between yours and mine! I have a lighter bioload (currently 4 fish only) but quickly found the need to add more snails to keep my tank clean-ish. Now not all of mine have survived, but I've added 15 ceriths, 15 margaritas, 5 nassarius, 3 turbos, 10 astreas, and 10 nerites. Aside from the turbos, they were all extra small. I'd estimate maybe 3 deaths based on number of shells I've found. I haven't figured out which snails are best for my tank yet so I added a bunch of types! When I added the astreas and nerites last, my back wall went from an algae scraping annoyance to beautifully clean, so I'm thinking I'll stick to those if I need any more, or the nassarius because they're awesome to watch.

I've only had one picky eater so far. He spent 8 days in quarantine (which I'm sure I'm going to get yelled at for not being long enough) and didn't seem to touch food in there. Then when I moved him to my main tank he spent at least 3 days pretty much in hiding, but he's gotten more and more bold since then. He'll even take food out of my hands. He's a starry blenny. I have sinking pellets, flake food, and mysis shrimp, my blenny only likes the flakes. So maybe its just a matter of time for the fish that isn't eating. How long has he been in there?

OP
OP
R

Rivic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a newb as well, but I also have a 100 gallon tank (115g total system volume) and I have about a bazillion more snails than you, I'm betting the ideal number is probably somewhere between yours and mine! I have a lighter bioload (currently 4 fish only) but quickly found the need to add more snails to keep my tank clean-ish. Now not all of mine have survived, but I've added 15 ceriths, 15 margaritas, 5 nassarius, 3 turbos, 10 astreas, and 10 nerites. Aside from the turbos, they were all extra small. I'd estimate maybe 3 deaths based on number of shells I've found. I haven't figured out which snails are best for my tank yet so I added a bunch of types! When I added the astreas and nerites last, my back wall went from an algae scraping annoyance to beautifully clean, so I'm thinking I'll stick to those if I need any more, or the nassarius because they're awesome to watch.

I've only had one picky eater so far. He spent 8 days in quarantine (which I'm sure I'm going to get yelled at for not being long enough) and didn't seem to touch food in there. Then when I moved him to my main tank he spent at least 3 days pretty much in hiding, but he's gotten more and more bold since then. He'll even take food out of my hands. He's a starry blenny. I have sinking pellets, flake food, and mysis shrimp, my blenny only likes the flakes. So maybe its just a matter of time for the fish that isn't eating. How long has he been in there?

Yea I was thinking I may need more snails since I am getting some diatoms and cyano it appears.

The regal angel who is the picky eater has been in the tank for about 2 weeks now. For the first time ever I saw him eat frozen food yesterday. I am not sure what got him to eat this time but the mixture was frozen krill with fish eggs that I soaked in Angelixir from Brightwell. Fingers crossed that he keeps eating!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back