OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next up - 125 lb of dry rock curing in a trash barrel with RODI water - I have a powerhead running in it and keep moving it around every couple of days to make sure it is clear of as much dust as possible.

IMG_2515.JPG

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank build is looking good so far! I like my 180... great size tank.
Thank you so much! This is my first build on my own. My 120 was hodge-podged together by a friend who worked for a big box LFS. He didn't really teach me much in the process, and certainly not NEARLY enough about chemistry or anything else. I went through quite the ich disaster and lost almost everything. If it weren't for @revhtree and this forum, all of the members and @Humblefish @Diesel and @melypr1985 especially, I would have given up. I have done TONS and TONS of research before setting this new tank up and still feel like I don't even know the 1/2 of it! Trying to take one step at a time! A wise man once told me in this hobby - "you take it slow, and when you think you are taking it too slow, go slower" :rolleyes:

Benson0219

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much! This is my first build on my own. My 120 was hodge-podged together by a friend who worked for a big box LFS. He didn't really teach me much in the process, and certainly not NEARLY enough about chemistry or anything else. I went through quite the ich disaster and lost almost everything. If it weren't for @revhtree and this forum, all of the members and @Humblefish @Diesel and @melypr1985 especially, I would have given up. I have done TONS and TONS of research before setting this new tank up and still feel like I don't even know the 1/2 of it! Trying to take one step at a time! A wise man once told me in this hobby - "you take it slow, and when you think you are taking it too slow, go slower" :rolleyes:
I agree about the tons and tons of research... one thing is for sure "stuff" happens to even the best tanks in the world! The only choice is to keep on going and enjoy the process. Learning is an ongoing process for sure and reading and talking to reefers is always good.

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the most patient I have ever had to be!

So thankful for a very good friend who helped us run the electric! Return pump is on its own breaker. Electric run! 4 outlets for the QT area, 2 for the sump (APEX power bar will be there) and double outlet for the return pump.
IMG_5527.JPG
IMG_5528.JPG
IMG_5529.JPG

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First plumbing done. We only did one drain today. Just thinking everything through and making cuts - so nerve wrecking!! Already re-thinking a couple of things!

One lesson we learned when we went to mount a light tonight - we left NO ROOM behind the tank for ANYTHING! The cords will fit, but that is about it. We are now a little off-center of the holes in the floor just to fit the mounts for the lights. GRRR. Thank goodness we only have 1" pipe and 3/4" pipe but made 2" holes. Lots to learn still in this process. As much research as I have done - and I have done a TON, some of it is trial and error.

But here is my one sad drain :)
IMG_0719.JPG
IMG_9316.JPG

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I was going to suggest is a return pump but it looks like you have already found one! We have a very similar set up going and I’m happy to help. Good job so far!!!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice. 180 is almost the perfect tank size. Not too big, not too small and good front to back width. I ran one for 20 years continuously, before finally falling victim to upgradeitis. BTW, I run a PW200 and it's a really powerful pump, and should give you many years of reliable service.

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I was going to suggest is a return pump but it looks like you have already found one! We have a very similar set up going and I’m happy to help. Good job so far!!!
Send me your build thread, I would love to follow too! And I was actually looking at the gph you were getting! I am curious how the pw200 will do for me! :) Nervous about getting that all to flow correctly and how it all balances out to not be too much drain vs return, etc.

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice. 180 is almost the perfect tank size. Not too big, not too small and good front to back width. I ran one for 20 years continuously, before finally falling victim to upgradeitis. BTW, I run a PW200 and it's a really powerful pump, and should give you many years of reliable service.
Thank you so much! I am always wondering if I am doing the right thing or picking the right equipment, even after tons of research.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice progress Jena. It is so exciting to set up a new tank. Is your husband a hobbyist also or is he support staff? Lol. I am currently doing a 180 rebuild and have created a thread too. looking forward to watching your aquarium thread grow.

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice progress Jena. It is so exciting to set up a new tank. Is your husband a hobbyist also or is he support staff? Lol. I am currently doing a 180 rebuild and have created a thread too. looking forward to watching your aquarium thread grow.

Thank you so much! We are on Christmas break from school now, so hoping to have plumbing complete on Tuesday!!! EEEKKK!!!

My husband I would consider support staff! :) HAHA - never looked at it that way! He does a lot of the plumbing, hook-ups, basically the stuff I don't have the patience for! I do everything with QT, fish, and the maintenance of the tank itself. We got an APEX . . . I am pretty sure he will geek out with me on that! :)

Do you have a thread for your rebuild? I am really looking for some good aquascape ideas!

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 28 22.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 88 71.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.1%
Back