New angelfish infection?

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like Mycobacterium bacteria. these appear as Skin lesions, emaciation,, scale loss, frayed fins and loss of appetite are all signs of this infection. This bacteria are transmitted bi infection, detritus, and feces of the infected fish. They can also create skin wounds and lesions.
The best treatment is prevention and good water quality. Try not to feed raw food to your saltwater fish. Treatment with Antibiotics include kanamyacin, or erythromycin. begin with a good water change.
What is your salinity and tank temperature as well as ammonia and nitrate readings?

“Try not to feed raw food to your saltwater fish.” Was this a typo?

OP
OP
45ZoaGarden

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, should I use kanaplex, neoplex, polyguard, or metraplex? They all seem the same...

I will get some focus too.Just trying to figure out what to give him. Sorry, I’ve never had a fish with a bacterial infection :(

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Also, should I use kanaplex, neoplex, polyguard, or metraplex? They all seem the same...

I will get some focus too.Just trying to figure out what to give him. Sorry, I’ve never had a fish with a bacterial infection :(
This should treat well and a learning experience. All the ones listed ending in suffix PLEX yes are similar and treat similarly. Kana and Metro are the best ones.
Here is Why KanaPlex:

• Easily absorbed through both skin and gills; ingestion not required
  • Does not adversely affect the filter bed and is easily removed with carbon
  • Safely and effectively treats several fungal, and bacterial fish diseases (dropsy, popeye, fin/tail rot, septicemia)
  • When used in a medicated food mix, it is excellent for treating bacterial infections in tanks that contain invertebrates

OP
OP
45ZoaGarden

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This should treat well and a learning experience. All the ones listed ending in suffix PLEX yes are similar and treat similarly. Kana and Metro are the best ones.
Here is Why KanaPlex:

• Easily absorbed through both skin and gills; ingestion not required
  • Does not adversely affect the filter bed and is easily removed with carbon
  • Safely and effectively treats several fungal, and bacterial fish diseases (dropsy, popeye, fin/tail rot, septicemia)
  • When used in a medicated food mix, it is excellent for treating bacterial infections in tanks that contain invertebrates
Thank you!

OP
OP
45ZoaGarden

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I picked up the kanaplex and fuel. I fed the meds with fuel and mysis. He showed interest but didn’t eat it. He doesn’t look as bad any more so I’m not as terribly worried. All the other fish ate the medicated food. I will try again tomorrow with live brine

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 97 44.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 73 33.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back