OP
OP
Young@Heart

Young@Heart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*Welcome to Reef2Reef @Young@Heart !* I know you have taken the time to make a check list but it could not hurt to take a look here https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/m...relocating-your-aquarium.272071/#post-3270694
Best of luck with your upgrade!

1460837541958.jpg
Thank You for the reference to the Article. I will go over it and compare with my checklist and needs. Most appericated - Lots of friendly folks here. I am sure I will need help as I move forward.

james983

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and good luck with the upgrade. I know your planning on a sump, I assume that means the tank is reef ready? If not you will need external overflows.

OP
OP
Young@Heart

Young@Heart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been thinking about it and because of several factors, I will:
- Transfer the Existing Live Stock of that Tank to one of my LFS - Why - They don't get along with the Livestock of my 55 Gallon. I will decommission the 55 When I get the 180 cycled and everybody transferred.
- It will be an easier move this way
- The Tank, Sump, Base and Canopy need a GOOD CLEANING. (Got any good recommendations for a Acrylic Cleaning/Repair Kit (Seals are good, but a few very fine scratches))
- Starting the Tank over - lets me make it mine (New Aquascape, New Life in the tank)
- Allows me to Name the new Reef in Honor of one of my best Friends (Rest In Peace - Lonnie)

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not used the acrylic cleaning kits before.I do know that you never want to use alcohol on acrylic tanks.I have heard that this will compromise the seals.If you soak the tank well in tap water you can gently used a old credit card on the stubborn build up.

OP
OP
Young@Heart

Young@Heart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am less than a week from the planned acquire/move of my upgraded tank. I have been thinking about it and because of several factors:
I will:
New Home of Lonnie's Reef:

upload_2017-7-4_8-32-28.png

My Plan:
- Transfer the Existing LiveStock from the Tank to their New Home with a Local LFS
- Move the Tank, Base and Canopy
- Clean the Base, Sump, Tank and Canopy (it is needed)
- Clean/Repair Minor Acrylic Fine Scratches and Salt Deposits
- Put together DRY AQUASCAPE (Got any Ideas for what I can use to secure the Dry rock together (I have Dry Rock on the way from BRS including "Coral Rock Shelves" that will try and drill for coral plugs) - Anyone have a good Idea for Fine Dry Sand that I can seed from my existing LR and Sand from my 55 (The 55 will be about months old) or should I just seed from my existing LR. I want the Fine Dry Sand for my Goby.

Time from Cleaning the Base, Sump, Tank and Canopy and Clean/Repair of Acrylic will be 3 about Weeks.

- Placement of Sand and Dry Rock Aquascape is planned for July 22- July 28
- Tank Get Wet Date is tentatively scheduled for July 29
- Scheduled Introduction of a few pieces of LR is about August 1
- I will do water tests and work with my R2R fellow hobbyist and my LFS to determine when I can start transferring Livestock (am hoping by Mid August)

The Lengthy startup time is for several reasons:

Allow me time to Read and do more Research
Allow me time to Plan Aquascape (already getting ideas)
Allow time for Cleaning of Tank and any out gassing
Allow time to identify and replace any plumbing (although none should be necessary).
Allows me time to go slow as I am new at this and I want to do every thing I can to do it right.

The final setup will also have T5 Lights augmented with 2 LED AI Primes

I am thinking of using Bleach on the inside of the Acrylic Tank and I have some Foaming Window Cleaner (NO AMMONIA). I am also thinking of Using CLR on the Tough Salt Deposits). Can I use Bleach, CLR on the tank and the sump?

Livestock:
38 lbs of LR (with 3-4 Emerald Crabs)
2 Clown Fish
1 Pigmy Angelfish
1 Yellowface Sleeper Goby
1 Kenya Tree Coral
1 Torch
1 Acan
2 Zoa's

What order do you think I can safely transfer the Livestock to the new tank?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Young@Heart

Young@Heart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
James983I believe the Overflow on the right side of the tank (Pic above) is that what you are referring to - the water flows to it - gravity assist down to sump .... to return pump. It was a custom build for a previous owner - so I think the overflow on the right hand side fulfills what you are mentioning - I think - you know more than I.

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about Bleach, CLR?

Definitely not CLR! I am not sure about bleach.The folks @ArtFully Acrylic may know.

So I am less than a week from the planned acquire/move of my upgraded tank. I have been thinking about it and because of several factors:
I will:
New Home of Lonnie's Reef:

upload_2017-7-4_8-32-28.png

My Plan:
- Transfer the Existing LiveStock from the Tank to their New Home with a Local LFS
- Move the Tank, Base and Canopy
- Clean the Base, Sump, Tank and Canopy (it is needed)
- Clean/Repair Minor Acrylic Fine Scratches and Salt Deposits
- Put together DRY AQUASCAPE (Got any Ideas for what I can use to secure the Dry rock together (I have Dry Rock on the way from BRS including "Coral Rock Shelves" that will try and drill for coral plugs) - Anyone have a good Idea for Fine Dry Sand that I can seed from my existing LR and Sand from my 55 (The 55 will be about months old) or should I just seed from my existing LR. I want the Fine Dry Sand for my Goby.

Time from Cleaning the Base, Sump, Tank and Canopy and Clean/Repair of Acrylic will be 3 about Weeks.

- Placement of Sand and Dry Rock Aquascape is planned for July 22- July 28
- Tank Get Wet Date is tentatively scheduled for July 29
- Scheduled Introduction of a few pieces of LR is about August 1
- I will do water tests and work with my R2R fellow hobbyist and my LFS to determine when I can start transferring Livestock (am hoping by Mid August)

The Lengthy startup time is for several reasons:

Allow me time to Read and do more Research
Allow me time to Plan Aquascape (already getting ideas)
Allow time for Cleaning of Tank and any out gassing
Allow time to identify and replace any plumbing (although none should be necessary).
Allows me time to go slow as I am new at this and I want to do every thing I can to do it right.

The final setup will also have T5 Lights augmented with 2 LED AI Primes

I am thinking of using Bleach on the inside of the Acrylic Tank and I have some Foaming Window Cleaner (NO AMMONIA). I am also thinking of Using CLR on the Tough Salt Deposits). Can I use Bleach, CLR on the tank and the sump?

Livestock:
38 lbs of LR (with 3-4 Emerald Crabs)
2 Clown Fish
1 Pigmy Angelfish
1 Yellowface Sleeper Goby
1 Kenya Tree Coral
1 Torch
1 Acan
2 Zoa's

What order do you think I can safely transfer the Livestock to the new tank?

I would do the live rock first as planned.Then the clowns.Then the zoas and tree.Next the Acan and torch.I would then add your gobie and finally the angel.Test frequently in between additions.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome home, you will love it here!

I am the least handy person alive-- when I bought my first used and running set ups I watched and took photos of how it was before and Joe I disassembled it. Sometimes drew diagrams.

Good luck, keep us posted with lots of photos! :)

OP
OP
Young@Heart

Young@Heart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I will get the tank tomorrow - lots of cleaning needed. I will post Photos and keep all up to date. I have set aside 3 weeks a for cleaning, equipment eval and replacement and aquascaping.

pettoe90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I will get the tank tomorrow - lots of cleaning needed. I will post Photos and keep all up to date. I have set aside 3 weeks a for cleaning, equipment eval and replacement and aquascaping.

Bleach or vinegar to clean make sure to let it dry very well

Last edited:

XNavyDiver

Insightful answer loading... please wait.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice to see another AZ reefer! Good luck on your build, I will follow.

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the family.. R2R is the most amazing forum on the internet.. everyone here Will be happy to assist you in your journey along the way! Congrats on the new tank.. I suggest you take everything super slow and get it right the first time.. happy to see your making the right steps from the start.. asking questions and already have a plan!!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 45 29.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 42 27.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 35.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.2%
Back