New kole tang...running out of algae...

Congaken

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a young kole tang early this week...he'd been in QT at the dealers for almost a week and I've had him in QT with light copper since Tuesday...he's eating the algae in the 20 gal. QT well, but it is running out...I've tried to feed him algae wafers, algae flakes, nori, and algae stuffed frozen brine, but he doesn't seem interested in any of these...

His eventual home is a 65 gal. fowler which now houses 5 firefish, cb shrimp, a royal gramma and cuc...I don't want him to starve, but I don't want to rush his QT especially with a tang...no signs of ick or disease...but obviously we have not run the ich cycle...so...starve or move and take the chance...any suggestions to switch him to other foods?...any suggestions and advise would be more than welcome...Thanks...:confused:

hinovak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try lrs herbivore frenzy or reef frenzy, my bristle tooth goes nuts for both of them

eliramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed with the above! He will eventually learn to eat the Algea. Mine stayed away from the clips for weeks. Until he noticed how crazy my coral beauty and wrasses went, now he joins the frenzy!
He will learn soon!

Baby Ray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where would one find fish eggs...like caviar or salmon roe?...of course have to be pure, no human stuff in it...
You can probably get it at any of your LFS. I would get Reef Nutrition ROE

hinovak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.png
Yes, check with your lfs, they are usually very small, and every fish I have ever kept go nuts for fish eggs. There are several brands, they like most I have used.

hatrix11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rod's has an algae blend that my bristletooth loves. I roll the red seaweed up in the nori like a cigarette then pinch it in a clip

Deinonych

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took mine about a week to eat prepared foods. Mine went algae wafers > Seaweed Pellets > Frozen food > Nori > everything. I will add that i feed my fish roe all the time and the Kole does not eat it. It doesnt mess with the small particle food too much.

OP
OP
Congaken

Congaken

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine would never touch nori when he was in QT and was very finicky with other foods. I gave him New Era Marine Grazers and he went nuts on them (they provide a natural feeding habit). New Era was purchased by World Feeds last year, so their product has been rebranded: http://www.jlaquatics.com/vitalis-mini-marine-grazer-fish-food-290-gram.html
Looks good...but at 35 bucks I'll only do it as last resort...he is eating algae...but he's probably OK for another week or so in QT...thanks...
It took mine about a week to eat prepared foods. Mine went algae wafers > Seaweed Pellets > Frozen food > Nori > everything. I will add that i feed my fish roe all the time and the Kole does not eat it. It doesnt mess with the small particle food too much.
Very interesting...might try the wafers again tomorrow...since algae keeps growing, he'll probably be OK for a week or two till he's out of QT...thanks...

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried rubber banding some nori to a rock with algae right next to it? ;)
X2. Extra points if you try red nori. Tangs can't say no

Deinonych

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
X2. Extra points if you try red nori. Tangs can't say no

IME, Ctenochaetus sp. tangs don't really go nuts over nori like other species of tangs. They primarily feed on film algae and detritus in the wild (they may eat macroalgae, but I've never observed it on a dive). Mine will eat a bit of nori now and then, but prefers to pick at the rocks more than anything. My foxface on the other hand will devour nori as soon as it hits the water.

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine enjoys the finest other fish poop. Especially if it can get it before hitting the bottom. If it poops and the current is just right, it will swirl around and be able to eat its own poop too. The finer things in a Kole's life.

OP
OP
Congaken

Congaken

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine enjoys the finest other fish poop. Especially if it can get it before hitting the bottom. If it poops and the current is just right, it will swirl around and be able to eat its own poop too. The finer things in a Kole's life.
aha!!!...gourmet fair...bon appetite...:p

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took me about two months to get my Kole to eat off a veggie clip. What I think got him finnaly eating was dipping it in garlic. I dipped it in garlic for about a week then I switched to every other day dipping it in garlic to finally not dipping it in garlic at all.
As of right now as soon as I pull the veggie clip out of the tank he knows it's nori time and swims to the spot in the tank and waits for me to load up the clip so he can go to town.
He would only eat red nori at one point now he doesn't care what nori I give him.
Patience is key

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME, Ctenochaetus sp. tangs don't really go nuts over nori like other species of tangs. They primarily feed on film algae and detritus in the wild (they may eat macroalgae, but I've never observed it on a dive). Mine will eat a bit of nori now and then, but prefers to pick at the rocks more than anything. My foxface on the other hand will devour nori as soon as it hits the water.
Mine always have. My chevron and Kole go nuts!

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Kole was afraid of nori sheets until he saw the sailfin get violent with it. After that it was ON! Fun to watch. [emoji41]

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 106 76.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back